• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bren Foster, human with subsonic combat speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, the issue here is that if the kick was truly subsonic in speed, we would not be able to see the kick being shown in motion at that distance.

214km/h is like 59.44m/s, which is over 3 times faster than Usain Bolt's top running speed and 5 times faster than punches from professional boxers, which is bordering on ridiculousness here.

I agree with Lina, the number is ridiculously high, by far surprassing what proffesional athletes can do.

Some estimations:

In order for his foot to reach such speeds at that distanece he would need to have an acceleration rate of 1177.7 m/s^2

From Newton's second law (and assuming he was constantly putting force to accelerate his foot) F=ma (assuming a super minimum 5kg mass for his foot) the force needed to accelerate his foot is 5888 Newtons.(That would be equal to 600 kg sitting on top of you).

And keep in mind, that's not the impact force, that's the force his muscles produce.

Lina Shields said:
Hmm, the issue here is that if the kick was truly subsonic in speed, we would not be able to see the kick being shown in motion at that distance.
214km/h is like 59.44m/s, which is over 3 times faster than Usain Bolt's top running speed and 5 times faster than punches from professional boxers, which is bordering on ridiculousness here.
I don't know where you're getting the kick being FTE from. But the world record for a human punch is 19.66 m/s, so it'd only be 3x higher than that. Either way though, this does seem to come from National Geographic, which gives it some credibility.

It would be reasonable if the kick was moving a 19.66m/s, or 70.78km/hr, but 214km/hr is still kinda ridiculous, especially if we don't even know that is supposed to be the world's fastest kick.

I disagree with implenting this, same reasoning as Kkapoios, as it is vastly above the speed that could be done by any form of human athlete.

Heck, the 17+ m/s arrow catching thing doesn't even come close to this.

I agree with Lina. It would also likely cause too much chaos in our system.

I'd agree (although I'm certain my word doesn't really pack a punch around here). A single instance shouldn't force the implementation of a full reboot of a system that has been established and memorized for an extended amount of time. Let's just quietly call this guy superhuman or something and move on.

I don't think this thread was meant to revise the speed system I think it was just meant to show off the feat, maybe upgrade composite human? Either way the speed system at human levels was based on travel speed anyway, not combat speed.

An upgrade to a composite human profile may be reasonable, although I think that the current version is for a combined human, which is very different.

Why is a kick being 3 times faster than Usain Bolt's top running speed and issue? Even without factoring in the arc it follows, your foot generally moves twice as far as your body with every step, sometimes a bit more or less depending on whether it's your dominant foot or not. Taking into account the arc of the step, the fact that he'd be using his faster leg, and the fact that kicking allows a longer acceleration of the leg than taking a step, and the top speed of the kick being 3x faster than the top running speed in the world doesn't seem too farfetched.

I suppose that it should be added, yes.

Also, do not forget to add the new profile to the Real World page.

There should be an actual calculation done on this to see if the kick actually moves at 59.44m/s. The video displaying the kick has not been slowed down, so you can directly find the velocity of it via analyzing the kick from start to finish.

Lina Shields said:
There should be an actual calculation done on this to see if the kick actually moves at 59.44m/s. The video displaying the kick has not been slowed down, so you can directly find the velocity of it via analyzing the kick from start to finish.
This

Should we accept Bren Foster can kick subsonic or should we say he is superhuman since MMA fighters kick around 17.881 m/s and punch around 11m/s.

I am just wonder how the Fight Science team got that result considering other writings about Kickers tends to be a lot lower.

The only thing I can think of for the reason he kicks faster than MMA fighters is that he is focusing on kicking with speed based on practicing Taekwondo instead of power which MMA fighters go for. You can't calculate an MMA fighter's ap with the kinetic energy formula because they either kick with more energy/force then what is needed and they kick to slow for the energy/force that they produce. Bren Foster's kick is the opposite because he only kicks around 1400 to 3000 joules or 1060 to 2300 lbs of forces with 60m/s kick but, you can't calculate his kinetic energy because you would get a higher result then what he can do.

Has the composite Human page been updated?

Never mind. After reading the earlier responses, both Gwynbleiddd and Lina Shields disagreed. As such, it is probably best if I close this old thread.

I'd like to continue using this thread to discuss the Bren Foster feat in general though... rather than creating a new thread for Clarification of it and such.

Gwynbleiddd and Lina have both regrettably quit from the wiki, so I doubt that there will be any further analytical discussion about this.

Wouldn't composite human have subsonic attack speed instead of combat speed because people use combat speed for reaction, traveling, and attack speed for versus threads to be equalized? So Bren Foster's kick should be attack speed not combat speed because he can run or react to things at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back