• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Big additions to Pennywise's Deadlight key

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first crt, so please bear with me if I seem inexperienced.

So Stephen King released a book earlier this year called Later. The protag is a boy named Jamie, who has the ability to see ghosts. The main villain of the book is the ghost of a terrorist bomber who turns out to be possessed by something called the Deadlight. Aka, a single “piece” of the deadlight that comprises It’s true form. I read the book yesterday and can confirm that yeah, this is the same deadlight from the novel. It’s not like the avatar from the book because it can’t change forms, it can only manifest in the mortal plane through possession. Jamie manages to force it to come to his aid by engaging IT in the ritual of Chud, the same ritual that the Loser’s Club used on IT in the book.

There are hints in King’s other works, like Tommyknockers and Dreamcatcher, that Pennywise is still alive and on Earth, even after the fight with the Loser's club. So this deadlight would be on the planet simultaneously with it. So, I think it should be added to its first key instead of being an entirely new key, because from the perspective of whoever is fighting It in a match, they're facing manifestations of It on Earth. Maybe the first key could be renamed to “manifestations.” The main purpose of this crt, however, is whether or not this could bump up the avatar key’s possession ability to 1-a, since the possession comes from a deadlight.

Last edited:
I agree, but take in count that Avatar Penny already showed possesion in IT, such as when he possesed Robert Knee's body to tell Eddie to leave Derry.

So yeah, possesion should be on Pennywise's 1-A key.

Avatar Penny also possessed Bill's photo book as well. But yeah, Deadlight Pennywise should have possession in its abilities, and possibly a note on its avatar key that 1-a possession could take effect on the battlefield.

Last edited:
Ehhhh.... If that was true, then it would be at the top of the high 7-A list and would have probably won its match with Avatar of Calamity.
I mean, I just didn't think about it that way. Remember that avatar Penny is just a psych/mental projection, and obviously his mind is 1-A. And Penny didn't won becouse of the Passive power curse that AOC had, which would be constantly incapping Penny's avatars.

Last edited:
I renamed the title of the thread because Deadlight Pennywise should also get electricity manipulation. During the the ritual of Chud, the power went off in Jamie's apartment building as a result of the psychic battle. At the end of the book, the power passively went out just from the Deadlight being in the vicinity. Also, more information should be added to the Deadlight's soul manipulation ability: having your soul possessed by IT completely destroys your consciousness and self. Your soul still remains, but only as a husk/vessel for IT.

Instead of a note being added to the avatar key like I originally suggested, I think it would be better if the deadlight key added "10-B and higher with possession".

Last edited:
If I get it right, the proposed changes are just the name of the first key, and adding possession to the Deadlights, right?

I think "Manifestations in Derry" works to refers to that specific one, and if we want to add more of its manifestations in other books (assuming it is strongly hinted/confirmed to truly be Pennywise), we should just check what they do.

Possession for the Deadlights/True Form is fine, and I don't think it's necessary to specify the potency, also because iirc we don't scale such power with AP terminology.

If I get it right, the proposed changes are just the name of the first key, and adding possession to the Deadlights, right?
Yes, and also adding electricity manipulation to the deadlight form.

Possession for the Deadlights/True Form is fine, and I don't think it's necessary to specify the potency, also because iirc we don't scale such power with AP terminology.
Well, since the possession is taking place somewhere far away from it's "true" self and the people its fighting are a lower tier than the deadlights, shouldn't there be a note on it's deadlight key that it can do that? Like if the avatar is fighting someone who is high 7-a and Penny's opponent destroys him, the deadlights could send a piece of itself to possess the opponent.

Like if the avatar is fighting someone who is high 7-a and Penny's opponent destroys him,
It would be too hard for the opponent to deal with Pennywise avatars, unless they got some kind of crazy Hax to prevent Pennywise avatars manifestating, good passives, or some stuff.

Thus, AP alone against Penny avatar is useless, you can't defeat him by conventional means.

You say it doesn't scale to Potency. But in this wiki we have literally beings who got HD Hax is becouse of their HD physology.
AP /=/ Potency of hax, and the example you've mentioned isn't related.

We aren't gonna write "Outerversal Possession", and we don't even have set standards for such types of hax (like mind control), as all attempts to set them ended up with the consensus that it is too much dependant on case by case.
You can connect a being's nature to the strength of their hax, but it heavily depends on them.
You can be 13042848RD and have super weak hax depending on the context.

Pennywise's profile should just list its nature, which powers it possesses and how they are applied.

AP /=/ Potency of hax, and the example you've mentioned isn't related.

We aren't gonna write "Outerversal Possession", and we don't even have set standards for such types of hax (like mind control), as all attempts to set them ended up with the consensus that it is too much dependant on case by case.
You can connect a being's nature to the strength of their hax, but it heavily depends on them.
You can be 13042848RD and have super weak hax depending on the context.

Pennywise's profile should just list its nature, which powers it possesses and how they are applied.
Smurf mind Hax was always a thing lol. I mean, Penny already has 1-A Madness hax via deadlights (IT's Nature, aka his physology too, dimensionality too), just the same as Chutlhu mythos beings.

This is not about AP, but dimensionality.

We always assumed the hax is in the same dimensionality as the character using them, a 3-D character's CM will be 3-D, unless stated/shown otherwise, a 4-D character with some kind of Hax, will be assumed to be 4-D, unless stated or shown otherwise.

Last edited:
I don't see how anything linked in the OP somehow translates to "1-A Possession hax". So, if that's the whole point of the CRT, count me as a no.

I don't see how anything linked in the OP somehow translates to "1-A Possession hax". So, if that's the whole point of the CRT, count me as a no.
It's not a about that,, but we always assumed the Hax is in the same dimensionality as the user, unless stated otherwise. A 5-D beings Hax will always be 5-D, unless stated otherwise, it's common sense.

Last edited:
It's not a about that,, but we always assumed the Hax is in the same dimensionality as the user, unless stated otherwise. A 5-D beings Hax will always be 5-D, unless stated otherwise, it's common sense.
We quite literally do the complete opposite of that.

And anyway, that doesn't matter here regardless. "A small unquantifiable part of the deadlights" wouldn't scale to the 1-A thing in any case unless there was some explicit reason for that, and not just seeing some ghosts or whatever it does in this novel.

Agreed. It's pretty clear in the book that the deadlight has the same beyond-dimensional existence as it's whole self has. Jamie was completely unable to see it when it wasn't possessing someone. When it was possessing Therriault, those who went near his spirit could feel the world trembling around them like a guitar string (something which didn't happen with the other ghosts.) And in the scan I posted above, Jamie was transported outside of time when he held onto Therriault. Also, I could swear there's a part in the book where they said that it came "from beyond the mortal plane". I'm trying to find that scan now.

And anyway, that doesn't matter here regardless. "A small unquantifiable part of the deadlights" wouldn't scale to the 1-A thing in any case unless there was some explicit reason for that, and not just seeing some ghosts or whatever it does in this novel.
Yeah, that's right, yeah they are unquantificable.

But anyways, you are wrong, the Hax does indeed apply to dimensionality. That's why we got smurfs here.

A 3-D beings Hax Will always be 3-D, becouse that's the existance of the user.

Again, yes. Heck does why we got lots of smurfs here. If not, what?...a 5-D beings Hax will be 3-D, without any statement or indication ??
I'm not debating you, this is not an opinion piece, I'm telling you this isn't how it works.

I'm not debating you, this is not an opinion piece, I'm telling you this isn't how it works.
I don't know where did you get this from, DonTalk's thread didn't reach to those conclusions.

It isn't how it works?? then all Smurfs should be downgraded, no??. I can't understand this, is this decision recent?, becouse I've never heard anything like this.

Last edited:
That was just part of it. The deadlights key should get possession and electricity manipulation added to it, as well as more info for it's soul manipulation: "having your soul possessed by IT completely destroys your consciousness and self. Your soul still remains, but only as a husk/vessel for IT."

Last edited:
That was just part of it. The deadlights key should get possession and electricity manipulation added to it, as well as more info for it's soul manipulation: "having your soul possessed by IT completely destroys your consciousness and self. Your soul still remains, but only as a husk/vessel for IT."
Brack, I have to agree with them on this one, IT'S possesion it's not 1-A, becouse this was just a tiny portion of IT's self, so yeah, it's unquantificable.

But his Madness hax is still 1-A, so no need to worry.

Brack, I have to agree with them on this one, IT'S possesion it's not 1-A, becouse this was just a tiny portion of IT's self, so yeah, it's unquantificable.
Okay. So what are we going to have for it's description? "Can send out a singular deadlight to possess weaker beings?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back