• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

BFDI Speed Adjustment (June 2023)

The fastest MFTL+ occurrence in Battle for Dream Island so far was improperly applied to the speed of the characters. There is a different way that it should be done, and this revision thread explains it.

Improper
The occurrence is from BFDI:TPOT 4: Gardening Zero. A gamma ray burst from a quasar reached pods near Earth in seconds. The quasar is from 2763 light years away, and it reflected off Rocky's vomit to Earth. It went through Donut's hole and vaporized the Funny Plant that was also through his hole. As this happened, Donut bent his knees a bit and said “Whoa! What's happening?!” in surprise.

The VS Battles Wiki regards the occurrence as a feat of Donut reacting to the gamma ray burst and moving at MFTL+ speed in conjunction with it. I find that this takes the occurrence way out of context.

Before I mention anything about the actual speed, it should be noted that, very clearly, Donut had no idea what was happening until Gaty told him afterward. According to NASA, gamma ray light is the most energetic form of light that shines brighter than a typical supernova. Donut didn't react to the gamma ray burst; he got bothered by its overwhelming presence near him and coincidentally bent his knees a little bit at his own speed as the light moved through him. Even though Donut didn't truly react to the gamma ray burst, moving is still moving, so I need to explain further in order to prove why this feat is illegitimate.

Sometimes pixel scaling and cinematic time defy all context surrounding an event. However, even when looking at the scene frame-by-frame, it can be seen that Donut started moving before the gamma ray burst was near him, while the harmless glow was in the sky and while there was noise coming from it. As the gamma ray burst passed through his hole, to me it didn't look like he moved as fast as it; the screen shook, so it's difficult to tell, and on the exact frame that Donut bent his knees and his face looked surprised, the gamma ray burst had already touched the Funny Plant and was vaporizing it. Even while using the interpretation that Donut moved as fast as the gamma ray burst, it was only for one frame. This should be taken with a grain of salt considering how it would be difficult to animate anything other than the gamma ray burst traveling the distances it did when that travel was animated for us to be able to react to it.

Proper
Take a look at the ending of BFDI:TPOT 4: Gardening Zero again. Do you notice anything else that could allow us to scale the characters to the speed of the gamma ray burst? I do!

When the quasar shot a gamma ray burst a second time, it reflected off Rocky's vomit in different directions simultaneously, which ended up destroying the remaining Funny Plants. First, it destroyed the Funny Plant in outer space that The S were protecting, which prompted Bottle to say “And now, our Funny Plant is dead!”. After this, the gamma ray burst destroyed the Funny Plant in Yoyleland that Team8s was protecting, and the Funny Plant in The Real World that Teardrop was protecting. Following this, Bottle said “And now, all of the Funny Plants are dead!”. Given the timeframe, this means Bottle had previously said “And now, our Funny Plant is dead!” within the time it took for the gamma ray burst to destroy two other Funny Plants at different locations, in order for Bottle's next quote makes sense.

In accordance with the previous paragraph, Bottle saying “And now, our Funny Plant is dead!” faster than the speed of the gamma ray burst is what should be what is calculated, rather than Donut bending his knees. I forecast a speed upgrade if this is done, so there's a good motivator for the BFDI supporter who is most likely to get this calculation accomplished. Also, Bottle should have Clairvoyance added to her Powers and Abilities section, because she inexplicably knew that the Funny Plants became extinct.

another thing, TPOT 5 kinda confirms that the 2763 number gags aren't just a gag or stimative whem Pin and Coiny talk:

Coiny: "We ordered to yellow face factory, with is 2762 miles away:"
Pin: "2762?"
Coiny: "Yeah? Not every thing is always the same distance"

what basically means, the white hole beingh 2762 light years away, is probable more correct them we trough

another thing, TPOT 5 kinda confirms that the 2763 number gags aren't just a gag or stimative whem Pin and Coiny talk:

what basically means, the white hole beingh 2762 light years away, is probable more correct them we trough
Yeah. I had never found the number 2763 just an estimate. During BFDIA 5a: Get in the Van, the challenge was decided to be reaching the summit of Yoyle Mountain, which is in Yoyleland that was 2763 miles away from the starting point. During BFDIA 5c: No More Snow!, WOAH Bunch checked a distance tracker and it stated that they were 2761 miles from their destination. Along with the new evidence you mentioned, it's a safe conclusion that the number 2763 isn't just a hyperbole number special to BFDI.

so any way the speed should be a little nerfed sadly. and I think bootle (with basically most of the BFDI cast) should just have enchanced senses, makes more sense to me that she just percived the funny plants beingh destroyed, what most characters have showed crazy feats of enchanced sense like that (gaty saying the exact distance beingh a exemple)

Agree with that addition for Bottle. As your reasonings why the calc doesn’t work:

Donut didn't react to the gamma ray burst; he got bothered by its overwhelming presence near him and coincidentally bent his knees a little bit at his own speed as the light moved through him.
Except he did. You can hear the noise just before Donut talks, so it’s possible he was questioning the noise as opposed to the Gamma Ray Burst passing through his hole.
Sometimes pixel scaling and cinematic time defy all context surrounding an event. However, even when looking at the scene frame-by-frame, it can be seen that Donut started moving before the gamma ray burst was near him
Except in the last frame before he bent his legs, you can visibly see the beam get near Donut. It’s not a glow, but the actual Gamma Ray Burst.
As the gamma ray burst passed through his hole, to me it didn't look like he moved as fast as it; the screen shook, so it's difficult to tell
That’s what overlaying images are for. If you looked at my calc, you can see that I adjusted the images to have the backgrounds align with each other since the screen was shaking.
and on the exact frame that Donut bent his knees and his face looked surprised, the gamma ray burst had already touched the Funny Plant and was vaporizing it. Even while using the interpretation that Donut moved as fast as the gamma ray burst, it was only for one frame.
He still moves in conjunction with it going by the frame with the beam behind Donut and the frame it hit the Funny Plant, so

That shouldn’t matter anyways, since by your proper method suggestion, seems like Bottle was already speaking before the beam even got to Earth, so I agree with scaling them to the full speed of the GRB.

You basically just contradicted yourself right there. As much as 2763 is a commonly recurring gag number in the series, Coiny outright said that not everything always is the same distance. Not only that, but the quesar that appeared in TPOT 4 was never named, so how did Gaty even know the distance to it was 2763 light years when she has never demonstrated many intellect feats afaik? That was why I went for a high end and assumed the actual real life distance to the nearest quasar.

Last edited:
so any way the speed should be a little nerfed sadly. and I think bootle (with basically most of the BFDI cast) should just have enchanced senses, makes more sense to me that she just percived the funny plants beingh destroyed, what most characters have showed crazy feats of enchanced sense like that (gaty saying the exact distance beingh a exemple)
It won't be a nerf. Bottle still had to physically be able to say an entire sentence at MFTL+ speed before the gamma ray burst finished its travel, or else the timeframe is very weird.

I think Gaty knowing the exact distance of the quasar from Earth is a different ability than enhanced senses. That is for a different content revision thread though.

I think Gaty knowing the exact distance of the quasar from Earth is a different ability than enhanced senses. That is for a different content revision thread though.
She has her enhanced senses from knowing it the GRB got refracted off of Rocky’s vomit despite him being in space, though.

You basically just contradicted yourself right there. As much as 2763 is a commonly recurring gag number in the series, Coiny outright said that not everything always is the same distance. Not only that, but the quesar that appeared in TPOT 4 was never named, so how did Gaty even know the distance to it was 2763 light years when she has never demonstrated many intellect feats afaik?
Not really? the quoted talk with pin and coiny confirns that every previous use of "2763" was a correct distance, and the "2762" is the exemple of thing that isn't at this distance diferent them normal

Enchanced senses mostly likle, isn't a weird guess she can know the distance if she has enchanced senses, especially sinse a lot of characters have used that "2763" distance from the ass a couple of times, calculating distance isn't a genius inteligence type feat and in the BFDI verse seens like calculating distance isn't something you need much inteligence to do

Agree with that addition for Bottle. As your reasonings why the calc doesn’t work:

Except he did. You can hear the noise just before Donut talks, so it’s possible he was questioning the noise as opposed to the Gamma Ray Burst passing through his hole.

Except in the last frame before he bent his legs, you can visibly see the beam get near Donut. It’s not a glow, but the actual Gamma Ray Burst.

That’s what overlaying images are for. If you looked at my calc, you can see that I adjusted the images to have the backgrounds align with each other since the screen was shaking.

He still moves in conjunction with it going by the frame with the beam behind Donut and the frame it hit the Funny Plant, so

That shouldn’t matter anyways, since by your proper method suggestion, seems like Bottle was already speaking before the beam even got to Earth, so I agree with scaling them to the full speed of the GRB.
Basically what I mean is that I don't think the feat should count due to the show's intention being that Donut was scared of something he had no knowledge about, and I think him being animated in a way that has him move in conjunction of the gamma ray burst was just a miniscule coincidence due to the context. I understand why you consider it as a feat, but it reminds me of the time someone had proposed that Boyfriend from Friday Night Funkin' should have massively hypersonic reaction speed because, when he's visibly bothered by the lightning strikes happening outside of the house that Week 2 takes place in, his animation triggers on the exact same frame as the lightning striking. I remember that the idea was denied by multiple people due to being unreliable and due to the occurrence having no context of being related to super speed.

Anyway, since we agree about Bottle's speed, will you need to recalculate the feat for Bottle?

She has her enhanced senses from knowing it the GRB got refracted off of Rocky’s vomit despite him being in space, though.
Even with it being for that reason, I have a reason to believe that it's a different ability. It won't affect this thread, so I'd prefer not discussing it yet. I have planned it to be part of one of my future threads.

Even with it being for that reason, I have a reason to believe that it's a different ability. It won't affect this thread, so I'd prefer not discussing it yet. I have planned it to be part of one of my future threads.
Unless there is more evidence that Gaty can tell the exact measurement of distances from afar through a supernatural ability, we can’t really say that she’s reliable in terms of telling the distances especially when, as I said before, she never demonstrated many intellect feats which would make her have average intellect at best. Even then, assuming she got the distance through her enhanced senses, it’s possible that they could only reach up to 2763 light years but not any further than that, which was why she said what she said. Or it could just be the writers wanting to throw in another 2763 gag as a joke.

Unless there is more evidence that Gaty can tell the exact measurement of distances from afar through a supernatural ability, we can’t really say that she’s reliable in terms of telling the distances especially when, as I said before, she never demonstrated many intellect feats which would make her have average intellect at best. Even then, assuming she got the distance through her enhanced senses, it’s possible that they could only reach up to 2763 light years but not any further than that, which was why she said what she said. Or it could just be the writers wanting to throw in another 2763 gag as a joke.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. 👍

there isn't much object show supporters in the wiki
...But there are a lot more than just me, you and Psychomaster35. I also had proposed that Bottle's talking between the gamma ray burst's start and finish gets calculated. I don't think the matter is as simple as scaling Bottle to the full speed of the gamma ray burst; she's probably faster than it. If someone is able to talk faster than a gamma ray burst can reach its final destination, the more the person says, the more speed they prove.

...But there are a lot more than just me, you and Psychomaster35. I also had proposed that Bottle's talking between the gamma ray burst's start and finish gets calculated. I don't think the matter is as simple as scaling Bottle to the full speed of the gamma ray burst; she's probably faster than it. If someone is able to talk faster than a gamma ray burst can reach its final destination, the more the person says, the more speed they prove.
It takes around 4 seconds to Bottle to finish sayng "now our funny plant is dead" from the moment the gamma ray hit's their flower, while takes 10 seconds for the gamma ray to hit the yoyeland funny plant counting from the moment the space one died as well

It takes around 4 seconds to Bottle to finish sayng "now our funny plant is dead" from the moment the gamma ray hit's their flower, while takes 10 seconds for the gamma ray to hit the yoyeland funny plant counting from the moment the space one died as well
I have a feeling that a bit of inaccurate cinematic time was at play, since Bottle didn't start talking immediately. Anyway, something like what you wrote would be useful to put on a new calculation blog post.

I have a feeling that a bit of inaccurate cinematic time was at play, since Bottle didn't start talking immediately. Anyway, something like what you wrote would be useful to put on a new calculation blog post.
Probable for the gamma ray going to earth had some cinematic timing, but sinse the "4 seconds" of bottle talking acoured during the "10 seconds" from the gamma ray hitting earth we can probable say It took at least 6 second to It hit earth

Probable for the gamma ray going to earth had some cinematic timing, but sinse the "4 seconds" of bottle talking acoured during the "10 seconds" from the gamma ray hitting earth we can probable say It took at least 6 second to It hit earth
I might look at the timing myself eventually and try aligning scenes on a single screen, while factoring in how the gamma ray burst refracted off of Rocky's vomit in three different directions at the same time.

I did actually get to a new method of the calc from what someone told me, albeit the results are actually far less impressive to the point where it’s less than Flower’s LPTD reaction feat. So, I suppose plan B will be to just debunk your points.
Basically what I mean is that I don't think the feat should count due to the show's intention being that Donut was scared of something he had no knowledge about, and I think him being animated in a way that has him move in conjunction of the gamma ray burst was just a miniscule coincidence due to the context.

latest

latest

latest

Even if Donut moved coincidentally and he had no idea the thing coming from above him was a Gamma Ray Burst, we do see him move slightly just before it the Gamma Ray Burst the ground. On the image at the top, you can faintly see the tip of the Gamma Ray Burst above (It’s not a glow as you can see the edges of the beam on its sides), and in the middle image which is the frame after the top image, Donut moves slightly while the Gamma Ray Burst is moving further down at the same time. The bottom image is an overlay of the first two images showing he did slightly move while the Gamma Ray Burst was on screen.

latest

And this is the second image and the frame after the second image overlaid where Donut moves a larger distance than before while the Gamma Ray Burst only moved a shorter distance because it hit the ground. In other words, nothing is wrong with my original method.

I did actually get to a new method of the calc from what someone told me, albeit the results are actually far less impressive to the point where it’s less than Flower’s LPTD reaction feat. So, I suppose plan B will be to just debunk your points.
Why not present what the person told you? They could be wrong. What Bottle did being slower than Flower's faster than light feats seems very unintuitive to me. I still see a potential upgrade that can happen.
latest

latest

latest

Even if Donut moved coincidentally and he had no idea the thing coming from above him was a Gamma Ray Burst, we do see him move slightly just before it the Gamma Ray Burst the ground. On the image at the top, you can faintly see the tip of the Gamma Ray Burst above (It’s not a glow as you can see the edges of the beam on its sides), and in the middle image which is the frame after the top image, Donut moves slightly while the Gamma Ray Burst is moving further down at the same time. The bottom image is an overlay of the first two images showing he did slightly move while the Gamma Ray Burst was on screen.

latest

And this is the second image and the frame after the second image overlaid where Donut moves a larger distance than before while the Gamma Ray Burst only moved a shorter distance because it hit the ground. In other words, nothing is wrong with my original method.
You indeed calculated the feat correctly, but my point was that I find it questionable to apply it to the speed of the characters because of the context. Context is at least as important as feats. The primary purpose of my proposal wasn't to deny the feat itself, just the validity of its application to the characters, on the basis of why the animator decided to make Donut move in the scene. When something is so subtle and not intended to be a secret for the viewers to find, I don't think of it as strong evidence.

I didn't notice the tip of the gamma ray burst being on screen above Donut in the first frame you posted in your reply. I must've missed it when I had checked to see if Donut moved as fast as the ray. Thanks for pointing that out.

You indeed calculated the feat correctly, but my point was that I find it questionable to apply it to the speed of the characters because of the context. Context is at least as important as feats. The primary purpose of my proposal wasn't to deny the feat itself, just the validity of its application to the characters, on the basis of why the animator decided to make Donut move in the scene. When something is so subtle and not intended to be a secret for the viewers to find, I don't think of it as strong evidence.
Does it even look like the writers give a damn about bringing in context about why he moved? That doesn’t matter, as what matters is the fact Donut moved in conjunction with the Gamma Ray Burst between those frames. If they chose to make him move, then there has to be a meaning to it, like him reacting to the sound just before it landed, which is most likely the case. After all, the beam came from right behind him and he did not know it was a Gamma Ray Burst, only having moved because he heard something getting louder as it neared him.

Last edited:
Reacting to a laser from the Laser Powered Teleportation Device (and using a mirror to reflect it), which on a different occasion was able to eliminate David from Earth to the Big Dipper in a moment.
oh, I forgot that the lazer powerd elimination device could reach the big dipper in a moment, thanks

I still want to know what someone told about Bottle's feat being slower. It seems faster to me.
Does it even look like the writers give a damn about bringing in context? That doesn’t matter, as what matters is the fact Donut moved in conjunction with the Gamma Ray Burst between those frames. If they chose to make him move, then there has to be a meaning to it, like him reacting to the sound just before it landed.
Context doesn't need to be brought; I'm writing my own observation, not what the writers told the viewer. Context matters to me, because this is what I learned is a reliable method to determining the canonical capabilities of characters.

Here's what I think. The animator chose to make Donut move before the gamma ray burst because it was a fluid transition into his subsequent surprise. The animator chose to make Donut move at the same time as the gamma ray burst going through his hole because it made him fittingly more expressive than he would've otherwise been. Doesn't that seem correct to you? If there is deeper meaning that implies Donut in-context has the reaction speed of the gamma ray burst, then it would be valuable to write it on the profiles of the characters.

I still want to know what someone told about Bottle's feat being slower. It seems faster to me.
Basically, you take the perceived timeframe of what the character sees and divide it by the actual timeframe (The time it took for something to travel based on the character’s perception / The speed of the moving object) and multiply it by 5, but that only got to 16 Billion C when I did that method.
Context doesn't need to be brought; I'm writing my own observation, not what the writers told the viewer. Context matters to me, because this is what I learned is a reliable method to determining the canonical capabilities of characters.
It’s not like the writer/animator wants to bring up their error anyways unless it’s really important (IE. A fighting verse like DBZ or Naruto, except BFDI isn’t that). So unless they actually confirm it is an error on their part for making someone do something unintended in a scene, we generally accept it as legit.
Here's what I think. The animator chose to make Donut move before the gamma ray burst because it was a fluid transition into his subsequent surprise. The animator chose to make Donut move at the same time as the gamma ray burst going through his hole because it made him fittingly more expressive than he would've otherwise been. Doesn't that seem correct to you? If there is deeper meaning that implies Donut in-context has the reaction speed of the gamma ray burst, then it would be valuable to write it on the profiles of the characters.
Again, it’s the result of Donut reacting to its sound before the actual beam itself reached him. That fluid transition is the moment he reacted to the sound and started moving, which was why he panicked at what was going on. I’m not seeing your point here, honestly.

Basically, you take the perceived timeframe of what the character sees and divide it by the actual timeframe (The time it took for something to travel based on the character’s perception / The speed of the moving object) and multiply it by 5, but that only got to 16 Billion C when I did that method.
Thanks, I have a better understanding of what you mean. I think it should be calculated differently. The feat comes from Bottle saying a sentence within the time it took for the gamma ray burst to travel. Her perception speed isn't as important here, and probably is indeed slower than Donut's feat. Also keep in mind that there is inaccurate cinematic time, so the timeframe is smaller than it appears in the episode.
It’s not like the writer/animator wants to bring up their error anyways unless it’s really important (IE. A fighting verse like DBZ or Naruto, except BFDI isn’t that). So unless they actually confirm it is an error on their part for making someone do something unintended in a scene, we generally accept it as legit.
I don't mean that it's an error, I mean that it's so miniscule that it contextually doesn't have to do with speed. At least with my proposal about Bottle, we're given a timeframe based on a gamma ray burst, in which a character acts, so although it's not dramatized, it's contextually a character acting at super speed.
Again, it’s the result of Donut reacting to its sound before the actual beam itself reached him. That fluid transition is the moment he reacted to the sound and started moving, which was why he panicked at what was going on. I’m not seeing your point here, honestly.
Either of us could be correct. Putting aside storyboards, there are two relevant possibilities:
  1. The writer told the animator that Donut heard the sound of the gamma ray burst coming, so for that reason, the animator animated Donut to slightly move before it went through his hole. This case means the feat is reliable.
  2. The writer told the animator nothing about this detail, just that the gamma ray burst went through Donut's hole and he got surprised when that happened. The animator decided to use a technique that made the event more visually appealing, not having any contextual implications related to Donut's speed.
All that's happening is that we have different opinions about which one of the two is most likely the case. It would be good for this thread to have more input from other people, since we can't find an objective answer by discussing it with each other.

I don't mean that it's an error, I mean that it's so miniscule that it contextually doesn't have to do with speed.
Either of us could be correct. Putting aside storyboards, there are two relevant possibilities:
  1. The writer told the animator that Donut heard the sound of the gamma ray burst coming, so for that reason, the animator animated Donut to slightly move before it went through his hole. This case means the feat is reliable.
  2. The writer told the animator nothing about this detail, just that the gamma ray burst went through Donut's hole and he got surprised when that happened. The animator decided to use a technique that made the event more visually appealing, not having any contextual implications related to Donut's speed.
All that's happening is that we have different opinions about which one of the two is most likely the case. It would be good for this thread to have more input from other people, since we can't find an objective answer by discussing it with each other.
Even if they intended that scene to not have anything to do with speed, we would still use it regardless because they are shown moving in conjunction with them which means it does have to with speed. If anything, it’s their fault for including that.

I had a chat with some people on Discord asking that question if we should use feats regardless of if it’s an error on the writer/animator/creator’s part they admitted to that would ruin the context of a feat in a certain scene (One of them being an admin on this wiki responding) and they said it’s totally fine to use it since this wiki is about indexing things even if they are against the creator’s intention (It’s not like most creators care about how strong they want to make their characters, as you have to account for the many different writers writing those different stories). There are several consistent FTL feats for this series anyways so I don’t see why that scene shouldn’t be used.

Last edited:
Even if they intended that scene to not have anything to do with speed, we would still use it regardless because they are shown moving in conjunction with them which means it does have to with speed. If anything, it’s their fault for including that.

I had a chat with some people on Discord asking that question if we should use feats regardless of if it’s an error on the writer/animator/creator’s part they admitted to that would ruin the context of a feat in a certain scene (One of them being an admin on this wiki responding) and they said it’s totally fine to use it since this wiki is about indexing things even if they are against the creator’s intention (It’s not like most creators care about how strong they want to make their characters, as you have to account for the many different writers writing those different stories). There are several consistent FTL feats for this series anyways so I don’t see why that scene shouldn’t be used.
I understand what you mean. It's very clear that many creators don't scientifically put much thought into the exact capabilities of their characters, and since the feat here in question is consistent to other feats, I also don't think it's a big problem for it to be used despite the context. I still don't agree that it's reliable, but I'm not going to try getting it removed at this point. I want to focus on Bottle's feat; no promises, but I might make a video trying to remove the inaccurate cinematic time.

Back