• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Azurill Changes

I agree, it should be worded as "Immunity to ectoplasm (within reason)" as it is currently done with other Pokémon.

I agree, it should be worded as "Immunity to ectoplasm (within reason)" as it is currently done with other Pokémon.
While we're at it, I don't think Mewtwo has resistance to Martial Arts like it should.

I'm not sure if it should be a thing though, as it seems very specific towards Pokémon and the boundary between actual martial arts and just physical clash is weird even in Pokémon.
Resistances/immunity to dragon, normal, bug, fairy and some instances of flying and dark are in the same position, as they are less easy to extend to other verses.

I'm not sure if it should be a thing though, as it seems very specific towards Pokémon and the boundary between actual martial arts and just physical clash is weird even in Pokémon.
Resistances/immunity to dragon, normal, bug, fairy and some instances of flying and dark are in the same position, as they are less easy to extend to other verses.
I also feel as if it's a major part of the typing and shouldn't just be ignored. That said, other profiles already use this standard is why I say it at all.

That's not them resisting martial arts. A Abra isn't gonna magically take less from some judo.
Fighting type moves are ultra arbitrary, the only thing you can solidly say they resist is maybe ki given how Pokemon treats that.

That's not them resisting martial arts. A Abra isn't gonna magically take less from some judo.
Fighting type moves are ultra arbitrary, the only thing you can solidly say they resist is maybe ki given how Pokemon treats that.
It kind of does though.
They take half damage from something like Karate Chop, but full damage from Tackle. They're both just physical strikes, but one involves skill, which suddenly makes the psychic type take less damage.

Yes and it's completely arbitrary and isn't even consistent.
A Pokemon using its physical strikes in a skillful manner doesn't automatically do less to a psychic type even though by definition it's a martial technique.

Or hell, some normal type moves are tought by literal martial artists, but even though they're martial arts, they're normal type.

It's completely arbitrary and inconsistent in and of itself and martial arts are literally just physical strikes or techniques. That's it, what's the difference between a tackle and a judo tackle? There isn't any other then technique.

Yes and it's completely arbitrary and isn't even consistent.
A Pokemon using its physical strikes in a skillful manner doesn't automatically do less to a psychic type even though by definition it's a martial technique.

Or hell, some normal type moves are tought by literal martial artists, but even though they're martial arts, they're normal type.

It's completely arbitrary and inconsistent in and of itself and martial arts are literally just physical strikes or techniques. That's it, what's the difference between a tackle and a judo tackle? There isn't any other then technique.
I feel as if we can't just ignore an essential part of their typing, but I'll wait for input from knowledgeable staff, I notified two of them.

It seems it can be added then. Any thoughts on Martial Arts resistance for psychic types?
Yes, this should also apply to all types where some other types are not effective, e.g Ice type pokemones being resistant to plant manipulation

Fighting types are a...weird case, as has been pointed out. It seems that the difference between Normal type moves and Fighting type moves is the amount of training involved with honing said moves, or lack thereof.

Anyone can throw a punch, a kick, or a full body tackle. But only the most skilled martial artists can perform the highly skillful moves you see with the Fighting type. Judo, karate, and other martial arts, alongside just general highly-honed skills such as Detect or Vacuum Wave, all fall back on this skill aspect. (Plus, you know, the possible ki connection that stuff like Aura Sphere hints at.)

Honestly, I think the problem lies more on the Normal type being the way it is, rather than the Fighting type being what it is. Normal is really a catch-all type, where anything that doesn't really fall under any of the other types gets shafted to. Fighting, at least, is consistent that practically all of the attacks found within falls under some kind of honed fighting technique, from boxing to kung fu. But that's just my take on it.

I applied the Azurill changes. Just going through Pokemon profiles, I'm finding extreme inconsistency across the pages. As well as the discussion on fighting-type moves, I might have to go around and collect a list of these issues and create a larger Pokemon revision thread.

Honestly, I think the problem lies more on the Normal type being the way it is, rather than the Fighting type being what it is. Normal is really a catch-all type, where anything that doesn't really fall under any of the other types gets shafted to. Fighting, at least, is consistent that practically all of the attacks found within falls under some kind of honed fighting technique, from boxing to kung fu. But that's just my take on it.
Thank you for your input.

The fighting gem holds an abstract essence of martial arts itself. I think pokemon moves have some specific elemental stuff added to them. Normal type moves cannot harm ghosts because they're intangible and non physical, but fire and ice can harm ghosts. And if you use an energy beam attack like hyperbeam, it won't affect a ghost type. But if you use draconic energy beam, even a draconic energy infused claw, it will work. If a pokemon throws rocks at a ghost, it will work.

Pokémon elemental attacks are special and not your everyday elemental stuff. I think fighting type is more than just martial arts, like all other types. I think we should all do some research on fighting type and types in general, the anime might have answers

Also, the Lucario movie might have some answers. The pokemon wiki states that aura is spiritual essence of all things. So Aura sphere is literally spiritual but it just don't work on spirits in pokemon. I'll watch the movie and see if I can get any info on what fighting type moves really are

Last edited:
Back