• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
In part of the Aztec creation story the gods band together to lure and kill an infinitely big sea monster named Cipactli and use its corpse as the Earth, but they only manage to half kill it. Before the Earth was made from its half dead corpse existence was split between an infinite primordial void above an infinite primordial ocean, which is where the infinite nightmare beast Cipactli lived. Should this affect the current tiers of the Aztec gods? I know Zeus being able to affect an infinite world made him and the other Olympians high universal, so I was curious.

You didn't have to make another post a staff member can move them. You should ask here, or a staff member directly, to move it in the future.

I'll close the other thread.

Ogbunabali said:
You didn't have to make another post a staff member can move them. You should ask here, or a staff member directly, to move it in the future.

I'll close the other thread.
Ok, thank you, and sorry.

This seems interesting, so I'll look into it myself. I can't find any sources provided in the video itself, but I'm sure keywords would make it easy enough to find a telling of the original myth.

She gets most of her stuff from checking the references section of Wikipedia. Yes, the site itself isn't the most reliable, but the professional works and such that it lists are supposed to be much more reliable.

I mean wikipedia isn't as unreliable as it used to be back in the day. But I was trying to find some stuff about the things she said, especially about Cipactli, but had no luck.

She's no scholar on the subject, nor am I able to find any information on these sizes that she gives. Even on Wikipedia. So I'd discard the source until provided with a main source for these claims.

Can you provide where Wikpiedia says this, if she's getting her information from there?

Ogbunabali said:
I mean wikipedia isn't as unreliable as it used to be back in the day. But I was trying to find some stuff about the things she said, especially about Cipactli, but had no luck.
True, also I believe her main source for this is likely the book by Brundage Burr Cartwright.

Taking a look at a preview of the book, I wasn't really able to find this information, but then again, I was skim reading it. It seems doubtful here that anyone would have the full book given how obscure the book seems to be.. So any ideas on what could be done?

I see nothing there that really hints at it actually being infinite in scale. So it seems like the source doesn't really support what she was saying.

Giygas3 said:
I see nothing there that really hints at it actually being infinite in scale. So it seems like the source doesn't really support what she was saying.
It does say that the sea (and the sky since they were viewed as connected/the same thing) was seemingly endless, and once more we don't know for certain that this was the only reference she used.

Yes, it does say that. But, "Seemingly endless" does not at all translate to saying, "This is infinite in size."

Well so far Wikipedia and this was the only things provided, this quote not at all providing evidence that it's infinite, while I can't find anything on Wikipedia. Perhaps you could try to email her the sources that she used.

Back