• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Attack Potency Page Revision (Sizes)

I know we have a lot going on, but it's been dead for six days so I bumped it as a friendly reminder the thread still exists. A lot has happened since.

A better method would be to simply use either medians or minimal values, for tiers that already have calculated medians. For instance, Country level, where we know the average country's surface area, City Block level where standard city blocks are widely available, and Mountain level, where the minimum mountain height is defined as roughly 600 metres and we can estimate volume by getting the smallest mountain/largest hill, which'd be around that height, and scaling it.

It's safe to note, however, that the average mountain would still be much greater than 600 meters. So cases like that are discussable.

Cities and islands are utterly arbitrary due to the definition varying a lot from location to location, so we'd just have to choose a relatively arbitrary, but still reasonable (several kilometers and up) landmark. That's unavoidable, sadly, and not something we can fix.

However, logic by itself can still let us know not to just go by the lowest ever and make reasonable assumptions that the majority of fiction should follow. When we talk about a city, we're thinking of a place where people have to drive around for a while in order to reach their workplace, a place where you can stand on the rooftop of an average building and only see the sea near the horizon, and overall a location big enough to house many city blocks within a single mile, as well as have business as usual.

Your average apartment has 10ft in one story. So if you assume two stories, then you have roughly six meters. So the city we're talking about would be at least eight kilometers even if we assume this building is near the edge.

Paris is considered a small capital compared to most others as per architects, and even then it's 10km. So the average city is certainly on that range or a little below, 8km like I said. Likewise for an island, which in fiction are almost always populated by ranges of mountains. Almost every island in fiction shows mountains in their horizons. The average island in most franchises is definitely higher than the >dozen kilometers mark.

I'd also like to point out that having sizes to use as references would help quite a lot with the the revision for pocket dimensions feat made by Dargoo.

If we had standard sizes, we could simply compare them

We do have the Large Size page where I defined some of the sizes below Planet level. Building size is any building 13-14 meters tall. The issue is whether or not this particular size falls into attack potency range for Building level.

Isn't a house generally "Building"?

If so, I don't know many houses being 13 meters tall.

13-14 meters long maybe? Houses are more like 1-2 stories which is 10-20 feet. A Story is only like 3 and a quarter meters.

So...I tried putting the radius given in the OBD destruction chart for 8-C into the explosion formula. Unless I made a mistake (which is likely) the yield is ~0.0346 tons...

Can someone please double check if the information listed in this chart actually matches up with our attack potency values or not? I'm kinda doubtful now.

Seems to be ~0.277 tons, probably just rounded down a bit.

Oh wait, that says diameter, not radius. Huh. Seems to be a mistake.

At any rate, there are some values that don't line up at all even if you assume they actually meant radius by diameter. That's fine, the chart's going for round numbers and it's close enough anyway. Although it's a bit strange to use exact values for stuff like town level, city level etc.

Antvasima said:
Assaltwaffle and DontTalkDT might be interested in beginning to figure out a new reference list, with more reliable tier borders, that we can use for a revision next summer, or something like that.
Would somebody be willing to inform DontTalkDT, Kaltias, and all the calc group members about this thread?

I have begun getting height values for a normally proportioned human needed to get to various AP gaps. It's a bit unconventional but it can be found here.

That's definitely useful to handle tiers "via size" for humanoids, but I believe that the question in the OP vas more "which city should I nuke to be baseline 7-B?"

Kaltias said:
That's definitely useful to handle tiers "via size" for humanoids, but I believe that the question in the OP vas more "which city should I nuke to be baseline 7-B?"
Well. That part is relatively easy, I think, if we're talking just explosions, just put the equation in backwards. Solve for radius by plugging in the known energy baseline, and compare the given area to the closest city in terms of size.

Well, Andy's question was where did those values come from, such as what country did the old staff use as the example/reference for baseline 6-B for example. However there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

I think that Polar-kun just loosely based them on the old OBD values, but with more even borders.

I also think that we later revised tiers 10-B to 9-B and 6-A to 3-A to be more logical (although my memory is imprecise regarding which tiers that were involved), but several tiers in-between are likely almost randomly assigned, and need to be checked up.

You can investigate our first tier border revision by checking through Kavpeny's old blog posts though. Likely by asking DontTalkDT for information as well.

Back