• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Are the Stand ranks just BS?

They are so often dismissed on this website due to powerscaling showcasing them as obviously stronger than their given ranks. So should they even be taken that seriously?

You can can politely inform Arigarmy about this thread. He seems to know his way about Jojo.

I don't mind it if people don't like it. If it's a problem, a thread like this should have been done much earlier. I have seen this problem/topic get brought up from time to time.

Then again, i'm not sure of what ranking we'd had to put for them outside of it. I know powerful stands like SP and The World are City Block. And weak stands like The Lovers is stated by it's user to not have enough strength to even lift a hair piece.....i think?

Anyways, i'd let Austrian Man and Arigarmy handle this. I have no interest here much other than say that if anyone wants to really not use these "in-verse stat tiering", go ahead.

I will inform them about this thread.

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Araki is a hack.

Stand rankings are semi-important up to Part 8, and when JoJolion got into the chapter count withins its 20s, Araki just stopped using them after Stands like Nut King Call and Born this Way were shown. Most of the stats meant pretty much nothing to the series alone, the only real stat that mattered was Development Potential.

That's the complete opposite here, where we don't even mention that stat and only mention the raw stats that matter for us. From what I've seen, we've based the system off of the A - E rankings and the low end DC/AP/Speed feats for Stands that have that that ranking, and then scale it to every other Stand with the same ranking, and if a lower-ranked Stand has beaten it or scales to it, upgrade that Stand, and every even lower-ranked Stand that scales to that previously lower-based Stand gets bumped too. It's complex and a little confusing, but JoJo itself as a verse is just a cluster of scaling unless you're Jotaro, Giorno, Johnny, or Pucci. I will admit that it's a little underdeveloped to the point where we don't even have a stat for Stands ranked in C Speed, which leaves us either to figure it out ourselves, scale, or just try and see what we can find from the obvious, but its all we have at the moment.

As for "showcasing them as obviously stronger than their given ranks", that's only given if they're capable of defeating a Stand by physically overpowering/easily tanking/blitzing it despite a higher ranking in whatever stat, and I'm assuming you're looking at Part 3, really the only part that has such a heavy impact on this kind of scaling with the main cast because Jotaro is a beast. The stats should be taken seriously, the only question to be asked is if they were capable of performing something above or equal to a Stand with a higher ranking.

I hope I was of some help answering this, and I have no say if we should change/remove the system if that's to be implied in this thread. If we keep it, everything stays the same, and if we remove it, that'll just leave us to put in a lot of Unknowns.

Powerscaling and feats will always take precedence over stand rankings e.g Silver Chariot being able to harm Vanilla Ice & DIO gives him a solid 8-B ranking, the C is irrelevant at that point.

However, if a ranking is the only thing we have then we just look at the feats performed by stands of exact ranking and just assume they're on the same level.

In short, stand rankings should be used if they're our only clue on the statistics of a stand.

one thing we all can agree on is Araki is was creative mad men. I mean seriously can someone tell me were he comes up with this stuff ?

I think that Austrian-Man-Meat and Arigarmy make sense.

As for "showcasing them as obviously stronger than their given ranks", that's only given if they're capable of defeating a Stand by physically overpowering/easily tanking/blitzing it despite a higher ranking in whatever stat, and I'm assuming you're looking at Part 3, really the only part that has such a heavy impact on this kind of scaling with the main cast because Jotaro is a beast. The stats should be taken seriously, the only question to be asked is if they were capable of performing something above or equal to a Stand with a higher ranking.

Yeah, you're right about the Part 3 thing since that's the part I'm currently on. Thanks for the response.

Also, I've wondered whether "Destructive Power" is determined by their pure physical strength or other types of powers (eg. Magician Red's fire).

Yes, also I think DP is some mixture of both, sorta like how Durability is more of "How long can this be done" and "How much can they take" at the same time

Back