• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Are reaction speed and combat speed related?

I've seen some pages where the characters are listed as having some degree of combat speed because they have that degree of reaction speed. Isn't it wrong to assume that a character's reaction speed because they have sufficiently fast reflexes?

Reactions are more a involuntary thing, like dodging and perception; combat speed is being able to interchange physical strikes at con rtain speed. Generally combat speed=reactions, few characters are an exception

It might means what I would usually note down as close combat speed.

In other words a character can fight that fast (exchange and block hits, lean to the side, react to that fast opponents etc.), but not run or move his whole body that fast for example.

I note down close combat speed additionally to reactions in order to differentiate between someone that might only be able to use his abilities at the speed, but not move his body that fast.

If that isn't meant noting it down just as "combat speed and reflexes" I find a bit strange as usually speed is combat speed (in other words you don't write combat speed on the pages; the value without explanation is the combat speed) and combat speed implies having that high reactions (but reactions Ôëá> combat speed).

In other words for the batter for example I would think it should either be written as:

"Speed of Light with Hypersonic+ travel speed" (or running speed instead of travel speed if one wants to be precise)

or

"Hypersonic+ with Speed of Light reflexes and close combat speed"

(then again the explanation given for the batter would more imply it to be just reaction speed, if he is not in the Nothingness)

Depends. if I remember correctly our combat speed is multiple Actions/Reactions but if those pages are just based off a single reaction that is incorrect.

Well, the Batter's reaction speed is based on the fact that in the Nothingness everything automatically travels at the speed of light, and he can maneuver there easily. However, there is no reason to assume that this scales to his combat speed outside the Nothingness, unless I'm missing something here.

Back