• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Apocalymon, a concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Executor_N0

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Do you remember when I did this blog about Digimon and Philosophy? I said that the third Novel of Digimon Adventure presented more information on this issue, but unfortunately all I had was a minuscule summary of a reader. But now, finally more in-depth information on this has been presented and it is amazing to realize that the theories were correct. To see all the material, check here.

Statements

The "Wall of Fire" was written to exist in the "Digimon Book of Revelations," but its existence was thought by Digimon to be symbolic rather than realistic. Only Gennai seems to know it to be real. The Wall of Fire was able to appear in the Adventure series because of the formation of Spiral Mountain; while the digital world was under the protection of the 4 Holy Beasts, the Wall of Fire was kept hidden deep underground, but with the formation of Spiral Mountain, all of the world layer above it got sucked up, leaving it fully visible and its fire weakened. Gennai explains that Apocalymon has escaped through the Wall of Fire and Apocalymon isn't exactly "one being," but rather a concept (an "idea") that had been rejected by the digital world, to make the digital world what it is now.
~ pg163-164​
When Apocalymon finally speaks to the children, it refers to itself as "we" and has a voice made up of multiple voices. It speaks to the children with the words of all the digimon it had sucked up, who had failed to succeed in evolving and surviving. Homeostasis explains that Apocalymon is really a "concept," not the physical body that they see in front of it. It is a concept that rejects evolution, one that refuses the option of evolving. When the digimon that failed to succeed died, they are reborn in the Village of Beginnings as a new being, but their feelings of regret remained and were collected by Apocalymon so that it could manifest its physical shape. Now that Apocalymon has achieved physical form, it is accumulating energy to unleash a Big Bang that will destroy the current digital world.
~ pg213-219​
Since Apocalymon is a concept, it does not need its physical body and therefore doesn't care too much when it is attacked. It prepares to unleash a big bang, then reconstruct a new stagnant world where it would rule as a god, worshipping only bleakness and death. Apocalymon's physical form disappears to become an area of cold and complete darkness. The children's determination that they still have a future activates their digivices to create a barrier that completely enfolds the big bang, shrinking until it disappears.
~ pg221-222​
These are the more specific quotes about Apocalymon, now let's look at a general explanation of this that is on the pages between 227 and 234:

At the beginning of the world, when the digital world was still in a state of chaos, the digital world decided on the concept of "evolution" upon its formation. In order to follow-up with this concept, the Homeostasis was born. But because Homeostasis is a security system without a physical body, it created independent Agents like Gennai to act as its physical laborers. Light and darkness are two sides of the same coin, and the world is at balance when light and darkness are in equilibrium. Homeostasis is a system that must maintain that balance, so when the power of darkness amplifies excessively, it must do whatever it takes to prevent it from destroying the balance of the digital world.

Then, one day, a digital egg accidentally crossed the gate between the digital and real worlds, landing in Hikarigaoka and hatching to evolve from Koromon, Agumon, to Greymon at incredible speed. This speed of evolution was unthinkable in the digital world. The cause of such a rapid evolution was a girl named Yagami Hikari. Hikari possessed something that accelerated evolution, but Homeostasis did not understand what that was and sent Parrotmon to retrieve Greymo. As that was happening, Homeostasis scanned Hikari's data as well as the data of people around her, including her brother Taichi, for comparison. The Agents analyzed this data and discovered that certain children possessed special qualities of courage, friendship, love, knowledge, purity, sincerity, and kindness-- not as qualities that they already had or didn't have per se, but qualities that contained a hidden potential within them. However, what Hikari possessed wasn't anything like those traits; it was more like the power of "life". They (Homeostasis and the Agents) found this power to have the same meaning as "evolution" did in the digital world, as well as the meaning of "truth" and "beauty." In order to represent this power as "the source of life," they named this special quality "light."'

This was how the digital world overcame its dangers for many years. 'This also was not the first time that Apocalymon appeared; the first time that it did, it was successfully trapped by the children's powers and digimon, but there wasn't enough of both children and digimon in numbers to seal Apocalymon away completely. Four of these digimon evolved into the Holy Beasts and gained the role of protecting the digital world. The events that took place with these Digimon were recorded in the "Digimon Book of Revelations" for future generations.

The Dark Masters, plotting to take over the digital world, got their eye on the Book of Revelations and used it to set up an evil plot, using Nanomon to create a program that would form Spiral Mountain. While that program was being created, the four of them attacked the Four Holy Beasts to seal them away. It is surmised that Apocalymon sent the Dark Masters its "concept" across the Wall of Fire, because the Dark Masters' plan, without them realizing it, would utterly destroy the Village of Beginnings' functio. In other words, creating Spiral Mountain stole the concept of "evolution" from the digital world. Unconsciously, the Dark Masters were manipulated by Apocalymon into rejecting the idea of evolution.

The Revision
As I always say, the best information about Digimon is in products that are only in Japanese ...

Well, as shown in the above Apocalymon really is the concept of "non-evolution"/"darkness"/"death" and has opposite function of the concept of "evolution"/"light"/"life". The separation of this was done by Digital World, but we'll leave that to the next revision.

Apocalymon now can be considered a Abstract Existence and beyond the natural powers of control over "non-evolution" / "darkness" / "death" it can also nullify the concept of "evolution" / "life" / "light" as when Dark Masters (With gains powers from the Apocalymon concept) removed the concept of "evolution" from the Digital World.

I believe that this may also affect Millenniumon, since Apocalymon is actually a part of the darkness that comes from Millenniumon.

Now I need to ask. We are going to separate this ability for GAIA Origin Apocalymon correct? Or no. I am still confused on how to handle them.

Yes. Gaia Origin Apocalymon is "too different" from the others Apocalymon. This should be only to "Databook/Adventure Apocalymon" and the ones that follow this idea (Like Re:Digitize Apocalymon).

It's just a Coliseum Boss that appears after the end of Vitium Quest, does not have a very good explanation about him besides "I am the destroyer of everything that will send everything to the darkness creating a new world of darkness". So it's just a "normal databook" Apocalymon.

This is blatant enough that not even I can question it. Why on earth does a children's franchise put this kind of stuff in it? ovo

The same reason a free, life simulator iOS app about raising dragons has 5-dimensional beings. Yes, that is a thing.

All of it is hyperbole, I disagree with the changes and all digimon should be downgraded to 10-C because they're just computer programs

Looks perfectly clear to me. Agreed

Bump.

So far Darknine, DragonMasterXYZ, Monarch Laciel, The Everlasting and The Real Cal howard have agreed to this.

I think that's enough, especially since it's so to-the-point.

If you want I can go ahead and unlock the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back