• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An issue with Abstract Existence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, characters such as Galactus (Marvel Comics) have repeatedly been stated to embody an abstraction (The balance between Eternity/Life and Death in his case), but he can and has been repeatedly severely damaged or even killed without doing anything to the concept itself.

As such, I do not mind keeping type 3 around, even if the story logic in itself does not make much sense.

Embodying an Abstraction and exclusively being that abstraction are 2 different things. I would say that conceptual or abstract embodiment should be made a different page to abstract existence, since although they often go hand in hand, they function differently for eachother and make a big difference for the capacity of the character

I find the two abilities too similar for that. It is more convenient to list them as different types of the same power.

But they are not the same power. Comics made this notion of embodying something giving you a tier and/or power/s, if anything that's harmful to the wiki due to all the people thinking the same and the ones who add Type 3 Abstract Existence to characters who don't actually meet the requirements (the part saying "but thanks to their affinity with it [the abstraction], they are able to manipulate it." We don't know if it's thanks to it, for the most part they could be able to manipulate it and the gain the classification of embodying that abstraction)

It is pretty much impossible to know when Type 3 is legit or just a poetic classification, and when it's legit the power is redundant with Empowerment over the abstraction.

What kind of abilities does type 3 abstract existence give a being??? Or is it basically combat inapplicable/irrelevant to combat??? I don't see much use for it...

I would personally prefer to keep it, as the change seems unnecessary, especially given that somebody would have to check through 500-1000 pages, and update a large part of them.

I think it would be easier to just check here

It reduces the load of pages and searching to just about around 100 pages to edit, which is far less than 500-1000 ones, of course.

That kind of search wouldn't catch all of the pages, if they use an unconventional formatting style. Also, it gives 600 results for me.

Well, I still think that this seems unnecessary, and too much trouble as well.

That is not how I understand it. They are still embodying the concept in some manner, but conceptual manipulation is not necessary in order to damage or kill them.

Okay, as much as I dislike saying it, Ant may be in circular reasoning/Ad Nauseam, meaning that the changes may go ahead if I'm right (Remove Type 3 completely).

The only think Ant has said that still holds up to prevent the changes is the task itself being just... hard, which I can agree with, but that doesn't make the change itself bad anyways, and considering how it's a minor change to apply in each profile, editing out the Type 3 manually out isn't that hard if you use CTRL + F to find it while editing, meaning that it's plausible in the long run.

Character pages that don't state which type their own Abstract Existence is are likely to be subject to the Verse Audits to check on asking knowledgeable members on the series, checking other pages of the same verse for getting context, etc.

Well, characters such as Galactus are explicitly treated as type 3, even though it doesn't make much sense, but I suppose that I can deal with being outvoted regarding this issue if experienced members are willing to handle the organisation work of finding and listing all of the profiles with Abstract Existence of this sort.

Oh, those were already listed thankfully, perhaps a CRT may be needed in their case considering this can also affect their conceptual abilities.

Okay, the category also has to be removed obviously as they would not be abstract per the site's standards anymore.

@Bobsican

Thank you for helping out.

Are any staff members willing to help out with cleanup work based on the list that he wrote?

Thank you for helping out. It is very appreciated,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back