• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An addition to the gravity manipulation page

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceofPein

Username Only
This is a little addition to the Gravity Manipulation page.
Quite a few profiles gain Resistance to Gravity manipulation because they could move in an increased gravity, an example will be this page which is a physiology page for a verse. They have Resistance to
This is in no means resistance to Gravity manipulation or any increase to gravity, as that only increases your weight and that is an LS feat, what do I mean?
It means if you were 50kg, now your weight becomes 1500kg, and if you can move just fine, that is a good LS feat and not resistance to Gravity manipulation.
Resistance to Gravity Manipulation will mean been unaffected by Gravity or Resisting gravity either it be 1X gravity or 3000X gravity.
Anyone with resistance to Gravity should also certainly be able to fly or gain flight and have resistance to telekinesis that has to do with Gravity Manipulation.

So, I don't know where this should be added, but the Gravity manipulation page should do fine
Please note that surviving or moving in increased gravity will not grant resistance to Gravity manipulation, as that will be a Lifting Strength feat

Yeah makes sense

Can I ask how this would affect Gem Physiology in Steven Universe? Their biology means they automatically adjust to any and all gravity levels so that they are affected as we are affected by gravity on Earth

This is a little addition to the Gravity Manipulation page.
Quite a few profiles gain Resistance to Gravity manipulation because they could move in an increased gravity, an example will be this page which is a physiology page for a verse. They have Resistance to

This is in no means resistance to Gravity manipulation or any increase to gravity, as that only increases your weight and that is an LS feat, what do I mean?
It means if you were 50kg, now your weight becomes 1500kg, and if you can move just fine, that is a good LS feat and not resistance to Gravity manipulation.
Resistance to Gravity Manipulation will mean been unaffected by Gravity or Resisting gravity either it be 1X gravity or 3000X gravity.
Anyone with resistance to Gravity should also certainly be able to fly or gain flight and have resistance to telekinesis that has to do with Gravity Manipulation.
What? This makes no sense, his ability does not increase the weight of his opponents. It's quite literally increasing the gravity of his surroundings which is shown in the linked scan.

Asserting that he is increasing their weight makes zero sense. And Hendrickson is quite literally shown to be not be affected by it. If he was he would've been flat on the ground and not be able to flick his wrist or any form of movement.

What? This makes no sense, his ability does not increase the weight of his opponents. It's quite literally increasing the gravity of his surroundings which is shown in the linked scan.

Asserting that he is increasing their weight makes zero sense. And Hendrickson is quite literally shown to be not be affected by it. If he was he would've been flat on the ground and not be able to flick his wrist or any form of movement.
And Gravity… increases your weight

This makes sense.

I can see resistance to gravity manipulation if said feat is performed explicitly by simply not obeying the normal laws of gravity, but otherwise it needs to be assumed to be an LS feat. Besides, low gravities must also be taken into account.

So, I would only change the proposal to "Please note that surviving or moving in increased gravity will not grant resistance to Gravity Manipulation, as that will be a Lifting Strength feat, unless it is explicitly noted to be resisted through means not related to physical strength"

A little semantic, and probably needs another part of the proposal too, as not being affected by no gravity also shouldn't warrant resistance to gravity manipulation, unless it is, again, explicitly noted to be because of said being's nature to disobey gravity. It would probably be some weird form of Adaptation or Self Sustenance? Idk-

I mostly agree with the OP. But I could imagine some verses giving certain characters resistance to gravity manipulation without it being an LS feat; just being unaffected by the ability entirely. So I'd like the ability to have more careful wording, perhaps something like:

Please note that surviving or moving in increased gravity will not grant resistance to Gravity manipulation, unless there's extra context demonstrating that it's not just a Lifting Strength feat

And Gravity… increases your weight
🗿that completely went out of my brain

I'm confused by this tho.
So if you're able to resist gravity you can fly?

So resistant to gravity for anyone that can fly gg

But Resisting Gravity increase while in mid air and not becoming a pancake on the ground is not resisting gravity manipulation? That's weird to me
It's, practically, not much better of a feat than being able to fly while carrying someone.

Indeed, one cannot have resistance to Gravity manipulation without defying the rules of gravity; is one of those powers that are too "mundane" to be resisted. What the gems from SU have is adaptation to gravity (although kind of weird, they just treat any gravity as if that gravity was from Homeworld... that curiously is the same as Earth).

But Resisting Gravity increase while in mid air and not becoming a pancake on the ground is not resisting gravity manipulation? That's weird to me

Okay

Resisting gravity =/= resisting gravity manipulation

In my opinion, I don't even believe resistance to gravity manipulation exists. That just means it's LS, because thats the only way to resist any form of gravity changes.

Indeed, one cannot have resistance to Gravity manipulation without defying the rules of gravity; is one of those powers that are too "mundane" to be resisted. What the gems from SU have is adaptation to gravity (although kind of weird, they just treat any gravity as if that gravity was from Homeworld... that curiously is the same as Earth).
I think how it works is they can control their mass, so their body calculates what mass they would need to have the same weight as they would on Earth/Homeworld (with their default mass) and changes it

So any character that can fly should get resistance to Gravity manipulation? Or am I misinterpreting stuff
Since resisting gravity would be the same as defying gravity, one that defy the rules of gravity should be capable of flying up to certain degree, but simply flying or levitating wouldn't warrant resistance to gravity.

That's a semantic and conceptual problem about what means "resisting", really. I would argue that in fiction resisting gravity manipulation usually means the ability to "stay" at a preferred state of gravity or disable someone's capability of changing gravity of the person itself/the area around said person. But, again, how one resists gravity is an individual matter for each fictional universe.

Nonetheless, I think this thread has enough answers.

Since resisting gravity would be the same as defying gravity, one that defy the rules of gravity should be capable of flying up to certain degree, but simply flying or levitating wouldn't warrant resistance to gravity.
But again, not all Gravity Resistances defy gravity, some (Gems namely) just alter their mass automatically so that it always effects them at the same level, regardless of actual levels of gravity, in that case, flying is not guaranteed

This seems already uncontroversial to apply, enough staff agreements.

I agree with this it’s very evident that his ability manipulated gravity and it’s not just LS since theirs is way higher than marmalas. He even says it has no effect himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back