• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Alice Liddell MASSIVE upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

LephyrTheRevanchist

VS Battles
Retired
Being a fan of Alice: Madness Returns, I was overjoyed when searching information about the game and discovering Alice: Otherlands. And oh boy was I shocked.

Alice is a pretty powerful Reality Warper and Mind Manipulator. In the Leviatha short of Alice: Otherlands, she entered the mind of Jules Verne and, get this, created entire planets, oceans, stars, and even a galaxy.

Now, I know what you're going to say: That this is only a pretty broken usage of mind manipulation. The problem is that American McGee has already stated that she is also "master of the physical domain".

"The narrative contained within the three games links together - the first story being one of Alice overcoming the psychological barriers that stop her from realizing her true potential. In the second game the threat is physical, though Alice uses her "Wonderland powers" to unravel the mystery of her parents' death and defeat the real-world bad guy. At the end of the second game we see Alice emerge onto the streets of London filled with a power that transcends the physical and psychological - she's now master of both domains." - Source

In the second short of Alice: Otherlands titled A Night at the Opera, she enters the mind of Richard Wagner, giving life to his opera. Here she shows the ability to fly and... Nothing of interest, really. There is this dude that claims he's reconstructing the world from the ashes and Alice one-shots him with a spear but that's it.

Now, why should we believe this is Alice doing and not just the mind of Verne or Wagner creating the world? Well, this is what the wiki of American McGee's Alice says giving citation to the book "The Art of Alice Otherlands":

"Otherlands is set in the near 1876 where it focuses on a 20-year-old Alice Liddell connecting with and entering the mentalities and minds of those around her known as "Otherlands", and revolves around her discovering the horrors of the human subconscious ― especially those of history's most famous minds. Having unified the material and psychological worlds Alice now embraces her power, which allows her to move freely between both realms. No longer limited by mortal constraints, she can enter into and manipulate the psychological worlds of others. Now a confident and powerful heroine, although still not entirely void of her trademark attitude, she is able to help those in need ― confronting manifestations of their psychological trauma, guiding them to resolution and tranquility."

I have downloaded a PDF of the book, but am having problem getting the pages in my iPad. I will download it to my PC and post the scans when I can.

I do not think that we can scale the feats performed within the mental world to the physical world without proof of the scale of any potential reality manipulation.

It obviously can't scale, The Wonderland is just the product of Alice's subconscious and it is not real.

The reason because Alice in Otherlands can now just freely move between the physical world and not only her own mental world, but everyone else's world is because at the end of Alice: Madness Returns, her mind pretty much breaks completely.

She is pushed to such a limit by everything that happens in the story that in the end she just breaks, she lets go of her sanity and kills the villain in the real world in cold blood by shoving him against a train. The game visually depicts this by having the real world Alice suddenly become the fantasy Wonderland Alice. After she kills him, she walks away and we see that the real world London and Wonderland have merged together.

This ending is quite ambiguous, and I admit I wasn't aware of this animation series, but it seems that what happened is clear now.

Considering how Alice seems to be in Otherlands, what happened is that by the end of Madness Returns, the real world Alice simply doesn't exist anymore. The Fantasy Wonderland Alice exists in the real world, albeit only mentally, and can freely move between the mental worlds of anyone.

Edit: Well, on second thought perhaps saying that her "mind broke completely" is unfair. Rather, it's more proper to say that she let go of her desire to stay grounded in a sane reality, and embraced her "madness".

Also, she didn't create the stars and galaxies in his mind, just entered it.

Edit: However, Alice could be legitimaly more powerful. In Madness Returns, The Dollmaker was corrupting and destroying all of Wonderland, his Ruin spread over the various areas and corrupted them, and subsequently completely destroyed them, which is a literal visualization of Dr. Angus Bumby's attempt to brainwash / break Alice in the real world.

Also if I'm not mistaken, in Alice 1 The Queen of Hearts' influence literally spread over all of Wonderland through her tentacles.

Well, I'm currently pre-occupied with a lot of things, but I could go through the games and see if there's feats.

Well, it is very low-priority compared to your other projects.

I just meant based on the above.

Not that much, sadly (compared to what I was proposing). I did jumped a bit high on conclusions there. Anyway, this is quite the necro, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back