• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Maverick_Zero_X

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Edward Elric vs Alex (8-C key)

IMG_3866.webp

IMG_3869.webp

Edward likely takes this. He simply outranges Alex by too much if he chooses to use his spears and the like and it doesn't even matter if Alex grabs them when he can just make more. Alex is a purely close ranged fighter.
He can't even beat him with grabs (Alex's entire gimmick) because these keys put Edward in class 10 for lifting strength and Alex only in class 5.
Edward is also very adept at manouvering around the enviroment while Alex is portrayed as being fairly lackluster for a SF character in terms of movement ability in and out of fights.

First, I forgot to mention this is second key Alex in his 8-C rating, which doesn't give him any special powers, but at least it specifies his mindset, approach to battle and gives him more experience and skill.

He can't even beat him with grabs (Alex's entire gimmick) because these keys put Edward in class 10 for lifting strength and Alex only in class 5.
I disagree with this, Alex's nature as a wrestler should make him prone to using submissions, but all of his known grabs are throws and body slams, for which you don't need a LS advantage over the opponent.

Edward is also very adept at manouvering around the enviroment while Alex is portrayed as being fairly lackluster for a SF character in terms of movement ability in and out of fights.
I wouldn't call Alex lackluster, sure he isn't Cammy, but he can still pull out sliding moves and acrobatics attacks based on changing direction in mid-air and drive himself down at high speed, on top of having all the classic backflips and somersaults.

But yeah, depending on how in-character is for Elric to spam ranged attacks, that would totally be an advantage. (and would technically defy the purpose of the tournament to have only melee-based combatants, but it doesn't really matter to the match itself).

I also wonder if the Ambient Qi in the arena can affect alchemy in some way, that's an interesting subject.

Last edited:
Edward's training includes a lot of grappling (In particular Izumi, his master, favors judo-like grappling in combat) and can escape holds very rapidly. Generally being capable of overpowering one's opponent with ease helps a lot in grappling even if their actual moves aren't about direct contests of strength.

Just to be sure, what's Alex' Class 5 rating? Ed is 5.39 tons

In character Edward would typically attempt close quarters combat, typically creating a weapon for himself first and rushing forward, though he will use his Alchemy to create platforms for the sake of movement (or impeding/sabotaging enemy movement), shields and the like, if he realizes he's outmatched he can try ranged combat but it isn't his go-to.

Also, is speed not equalized? In that case, how much does Alex upscale from Juri? As I recall Edward is one and a half-ish blitzes above his 369.34 m/s feat, while Juri's is 412.84 m/s

Generally being capable of overpowering one's opponent with ease helps a lot in grappling even if their actual moves aren't about direct contests of strength.
Totally, what I wanted to say is that not all of Alex's throws are ineffective just because of the LS disadvantage, since none of the known one (save for one, maybe) are submissions.

Just to be sure, what's Alex' Class 5 rating? Ed is 5.39 tons
SF's class 5 is weird, it doesn't really have numbers since it scales to throwing large bears in the air with ease (which I've never tried to calc because of the wonk timeframe and the wonkiness of how suplexes work) and possibly even bulls. There's this too, which I'm unable to calculate and could even be an outlier (from what I see crushing feats give crazy high results, but idk about this one).

Also, is speed not equalized? In that case, how much does Alex upscale from Juri? As I recall Edward is one and a half-ish blitzes above his 369.34 m/s feat, while Juri's is 412.84 m/s
Shit, I forgot speed is unequeal in this tournament unless it exceeds 3X. The thing is that most of the SF cast is going to be downgraded to Subsonic once I finish to apply other revisions, since some time ago I realized that the only ones who can reliably scale to Juri are those who are clearly superior to her, and Alex in this key isn't one of them.
Still, for the sake of the match I guess we can consider the speed equalized, then Maverick will edit the thread once she sees it.

About Alex's fighting style, we don't have clear demonstrations because it's a fighting game, but it's safe to say he prefers close combat combining kickboxing and wrestling moves, obviously trying to use his notable techniques in the best way possible.
Still, we know that Alex in this key is very focused on the fight, and studies the opponent to learn from them and exploit their weaknesses (you find the scans in his intelligence section, I'm not linking them here because this forum breaks all links to the wiki).

SF's class 5 is weird, it doesn't really have numbers since it scales to throwing large bears in the air with ease (which I've never tried to calc because of the wonk timeframe and the wonkiness of how suplexes work) and possibly even bulls.
Might give that a shot someday with PE, I would assume low Class 5 tho
There's this too, which I'm unable to calculate and could even be an outlier (from what I see crushing feats give crazy high results, but idk about this one).
Yeah that's like Class K lmao
Still, for the sake of the match I guess we can consider the speed equalized, then Maverick will edit the thread once she sees it.
Yeah, I would assume them to be mostly equal anyway.
About Alex's fighting style, we don't have clear demonstrations because it's a fighting game, but it's safe to say he prefers close combat combining kickboxing and wrestling moves, obviously trying to use his notable techniques in the best way possible.
Ed is generally a lot about mobility and outmaneuvering his foes, from memory he tries rushing them down at first, and then falls back if that doesn't work.
Still, we know that Alex in this key is very focused on the fight, and studies the opponent to learn from them and exploit their weaknesses
I'd say the same applies to Ed, and I think his toolset is better for exploiting weaknesses, what with Alchemy being so versatile and all.

In fact a big wincon he has here is just trapping Alex in a big cocoon made out of Alchemy which he lacks the LS to break.

Might give that a shot someday with PE, I would assume low Class 5 tho

Yeah, I would assume them to be mostly equal anyway.

Ed is generally a lot about mobility and outmaneuvering his foes, from memory he tries rushing them down at first, and then falls back if that doesn't work.

I'd say the same applies to Ed, and I think his toolset is better for exploiting weaknesses, what with Alchemy being so versatile and all.

In fact a big wincon he has here is just trapping Alex in a big cocoon made out of Alchemy which he lacks the LS to break.
Scans of him trapping people?

I find it very curious that despite all the scan-less claims that have been made on both sides you choose to focus on mine. Anyway, here's an example I have on hand.

Definitely an outlier, since a much stronger Ryu struggles with a Class 100 boulder

Alex kinda does the same too I'd say, since a lot of his moves are based on acrobatics despite his size, and Alex might try to play defensive or fall back when he notices that Elric is using weapons (we don't know how he'd approach an armed opponent, tho he has dealt with people who had the range advantage on him) or if he realizes to be the weaker of the two in LS.

Depending on the circumstances Alex might destroy cocons and shackles, given he's about 3 times stronger than Edward (1.3 tons vs 0.4 tons if I'm not wrong) but yeah, being encased completely would restrain him.

Overall I don't know how useful would it be to put up a skill debate, given Edward's versatility with alchemy and advantages such as range, stamina and LS.

So yeah, unless some arguments turn the tables, I might vote Edward too.

But yeah, depending on how in-character is for Elric to spam ranged attacks, that would totally be an advantage. (and would technically defy the purpose of the tournament to have only melee-based combatants, but it doesn't really matter to the match itself).
I was thinking using spears which Ed does in character fairly often, which is still melee, but still completely outranges Alex. Even without using non-melee options the range advantage is huge.

Back