• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Absolute Zero Standard Revision

This should probably be posted as a staff discussion but since I haven't asked anyone to post there I will just do it as a normal crt.

I just discovered that on the page for the common feats we actually link a calculation about freezing a person to absolute zero, and we give it a 9-A rating. Now as most of you probably already know, in irl physics it's impossible to reach absolute zero due to needing an infinite amount of energy as per the third law of thermodynamics, so any calculation that uses absolute zero is sincerely non-sensical as we already know from the start that it would result in High 3-A, the same way that any KE calculation using the speed of light gives High 3-A. An argument that some people may use is that "well, most verses don't treat absolute zero that way so we can just ignore that part and deal with it as if the temperature was simply dropped to -273.15°C/0K" but at that point I would suppose those are the same type of people who argues "well, most verses don't treat the speed of light that way so we can just ignore that part and deal with it as they just moved at 299792458m/s", which is something we evidently don't do in the wiki as that's breaking one of the most fundamental principles of physics to get a better result and wank a character for the sake of just wanking.

So my proposal is simple, we remove the absolute zero calculation in the common feats page and write a note in the absolute zero feats in fiction page saying how calculations using absolute zero are not allowed due to needing infinite energy, the same way we do note that light speed isn't allowed with KE feats for the same reason of needing infinite energy to accomplish with physics.

Back