• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Subbed vs Dubbed...

Asking this because im not 100% sure if we have a rule on this or why we do so I can get answers here.

Do we have a rule about subbed material being taken over dubbed material as the priority or no? If we do, why is that exactly?

I'd like to know more on this please, so i'd appreciate some feedback.

Well I'm pretty sure the "rule", if there is one, is that the most accurate translation/most faithful to the original is taken precedent. And usually that's the sub because the dub sacrifices accuracy more for convenience, and that's understandable, but also that in the sub you can add notes that give additional context if need be.

But even the sub can be wrong a lot of the times and usually someone that knows japanese would need to translate certain stuff if you're unsure/it's controversial or whatever.

I'm not japanese so I don't know. In my experience in watching both sub/dub versions of anime, the sub is more accurate than the dub.

But like I said that's purely anecdotal and I'm pretty sure there is no, set in stone, rule for one over the other so you can probably use either/or, and if there is conflict between the two you might need someone that can speak japanese to translate the raws.

Fair enough there. So back to my main question.

Do we have to take the sub over the dub as priority or does it not matter? Because IIRC, dub translations have to be approved by the creators of a subbed series before they can become an official dub to the series in the 1st place.

EDIT: Didnt see Ogbunabali's reply until after making this.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Fair enough there. So back to my main question.
Do we have to take the sub over the dub as priority or does it not matter? Because IIRC, dub translations have to be approved by the creators of a subbed series before they can become an official dub to the series in the 1st place.

EDIT: Didnt see Ogbunabali's reply until after making this.
^

My bad lol

We don't have to, we just prioritize the most accurate version.

I don't remember creators of a subbed series having any impact on the dubbing?

Apparently from what i've heard, the creators of a subbed series have to approve dubbing before the latter can become official (which would make sense so that non-japanese viewers for example arent misinterpreting dialogue or context that go against japans).

DBS for instance had to have their dubbing be approved by the japan creators before it became officialized.

I dunno about that, Ghost Stories and all the 4kids dubbing kind of tells me that's not the case.

It depends on what the creators want

If they don't care, they literally let them do what they want.

As far as 4Kids go, wasnt it only supposed to make anime more child friendly when only aimed towards Kids? Not just in dialogue but in mutliple aspects like food, sterotypes, etc.

Plus, 4Kids got terminated like 7 years ago so the kind of dubbing it did for anime is no longer recently the case.

Yeah, but without even refering to the original creators.

I mean, no laws have changed; not saying it still happens just that its clear that they don't have to get the subbings' opinion.

Fair enough. But this still doesnt seem to be one standard either way then. So I guess this is just a case by case basis thing?

Subs over Dubs imo. Not entirely important for statistics most of the time, but changing of dialogue and personality can change personality and intelligence, even if its often minuet.

Back