• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About speed, friction and fire

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
I was wondering if the speed of this feat was calculable in any way.
Basically, the guy spins fast enough to generate heat through friction, and causes his own hair to catch fire, which I believe is a process similar to starting a fire by rubbing sticks together and such.

Hmmm... I mean friction of a moving object is something like friction coefficient times normal force. With that you get the friction force. That times the distance it applies is basically the amount of heat you get from friction.
So if you calculate the needed amount of energy, you can then calculate how often he must have spun to get that much. And with an estimate on the timeframe you would get the result from that.
That neglects that part of the heat is lost over time.

That's assuming we allow calculating speed from energy in this case.

We allow getting speed from moving so fast you go on fire via ablation, I think this is a similar enough case to assume it's allowed.

Would someone be able to calc such feat, at least to give an example of how would it be like, then evaluate if such method can be allowed?

We allow getting speed from moving so fast you go on fire via ablation, I think this is a similar enough case to assume it's allowed.
I believe the speed to catch your clothes on fire is 2500 km/h or Mach 2.02, while ablation speed would be Mach 5.83-11.66 or 2-4 km/s.

Perfect, the only tricky part now would be fire resistant clothing materials. There is probably an Irl value for baseline? but I guess higher resistances can be ignored completely.

Back