• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Powerful Verses

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
This is half fun and games and half questions and answers.

How many of us don't care about power when we watch shows? Like, how many of us would watch a sitcom like Friends or something, and it's unrelated to this whatsoever? And would you care if your favorite debating franchise was wall level, or was the weakest in the tier, or an incredibly haxxed series had none. For example, if Saint Seiya or Warhammer Umineko or Fate was filled with Batman's rogues gallery esque characters, would you still enjoy it?

Like, (apologies if it sounds like I'm trying to expose you. I'm about to name drop. This is purely out of respect to these people, and not meant to offend at all) would Azzy still like Cthulhu/Warhammer/Undertale, Matt like Saint Seiya/SMT, Dragon like Digimon, Reppu like Digimon/Mega Man, SD like PMMM, Ryu like KLK, Aizen like Bleach, etc.

Keep in mind, I'm not making this to call out anyone, I'm just genuinely curious if the power of a verse influences how we feel about it. Idk, maybe I'm just taking an interest in psychology for some odd reason, but this has been a question on my mind all day, and frankly, I don't even know myself. Granted, I'd enjoy sitcoms as much as I would, but would I enjoy like, DC Comics that much?

I actually don't really care about the power of a verse so long as I can figure out the story but some verses I get into because of their Attacks but not the power of the attack just the look. That's why I don't care much when Dbz doesn't destroy solar systems and such.

I'll say yes and no. I like a powerful verse as much as the next guy, but interesting characters and designs are really what interest me. I mean I like Wall level verses and then I like Low Complex Multversal+ verses with everything in between. So power is not a deciding power.

When I first started watching Fate, I had no idea how to measure powers of other characters and I didn't think about it. I simply watched it cause it had historical characters in it. Even now I watch, read or play just for the story. If I notice a verse has some interesting powers, then I might do some research. Such was the case with Noble Phantasms.

Tbh I thought everyone in JoJo was like Wall level so power doesn't really matter

I also thought that Speedwagon wasn't superhuman at all

I also thought that every FE character (even the final bosses and people who scale) is 10-B until I joined this wiki, despite every feat being superhuman

I don't think I would care if my favorite franchise was weak, mostly because I spent over two years thinking that they were 10-B.

On an unrelated note, tho, the only reason I got interested in Cthulhu Mythos and SCP Foundation was because I saw them being used in vs debates.

Honestly its a bit o both for me. When i begin a verse i usually do not care about power, as the verse goes on i get curious an as soon as its reaching its end i get super interested and start comparing to other verses then it becomes more an issue of personal pride more than anything

Damn I was going to ask this.

Now obviously I'd prefer the story, characters, lore etc. to take priority over how powerful the verse itself is, otherwise Suggsverse. That said, I do like a verse a bit more if it's really powerful.

I never thought Supernatural was all that powerful, but I didn't hold anything against it at all as the story itself and everything else was well done, when I came here and found out how much h of a powerhouse it was, I liked it a bit more. Same reason we enjoy seeing characters/verses we like getting buffed in CRTs, knowing how strong they are is cool.

TLDR: I don't care about a verse being weak if it's interesting but a verse gets bonus points if it's interesting and strong.

There are stuff that I got into because I heard it was good, such as JoJo, Fate/Stay Night UBW and BHA. I did not even expect a Kobayashi's dragon maid character to have a page here, since this anime is a slice of life.

And even if a verse was not that strong, it would not stop me from enjoying it, hey MHA is my favorite anime tied with PMMM

But I'll be honest, I love when my favorite verses are strong, but not too OP at the same time ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

For me, the level of power of a verse/character doesn't really affect how much enjoyement I get out of it. There's several series and dozens of characters without any remarkable power, like romcoms or human characters without or with barely any powers that I enjoy a lot more than shonen characters with nuke level firepower. I would take protagonists like Touma Kamijou, Shinobu Jinnai, Satori Amatsu, Harry Dresden and Edward Elric over guys like Naruto, Ichigo or Goku in a heartbeat. I'm enjoying Owari no Chronicle (a LN I just started) and Kamachi's webnovel about western monsters that appears to top out at Wall level without much hax 3 volumes in a lot more than DBS, which I might honestly drop until the tournament is done to maybe watch it in one go.

Even if we reduce the question to just series focused in battles, I enjoy clever and or creative powers/battles a lot more than eternally scalating power levels. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, and I can see the appeal in the later. It's just not my thing.

Well, most of the verses that I watched i preferred when they were doing just random hand to hand battles with maybe small explosions like Naruto is my best example as I preferred first seasons of Naruto more than Naruto shippuden and everything that goes with Pain arc and later on.

Plus when I later found out about strength of certain verses, well honestly I still don't believe they are that strong...

Nah, I watch based on the cover art of the show. I thought Tenchi Muyo was gonna be trash, then they were introducing LHWs and High Dimensional Beings and I was addicted like O_____O

Follow up question. What's the weakest verse that you like? It doesn't have to be even 10-A. For me, it's Friends.

Weakest verse I like? I'm not sure, I'm not really a big fan of franchises that don't have supernatural elements, the only one that comes to mind right now is BBC's Sherlock.

I don't care about the power levels.

But I know that I get salty when they are vague about powers that are already there and because of that I can't gauge them properly (so we end up with the verse being stuck at way lower stats when in fact it may be intended to be much stronger, and doesn't get its deserved stats because the author never bothered to properly explain the scale of stuff).

I don't care about power levels either.

I care about the story, the characters and the feel.

However, in regards to Saint Seiya? Probably not.

Saint Seiya being powerful is part of the core of the series. The major theme of the franchise is the conflict between humans, who are small and insignificant, and the gods, who are infinite and powerful. The stories is explicitly about the human will rising beyond the power of tyrannical higher beings.

You kinda cannot do that story unless you go cosmic in scope.

Honestly, it's far more about how interesting something is as opposed to power.

I'll let you in on a little secret; at least before I was here, not nearly as many people had even the faintest idea of how powerful the Cthulhu Mythos actually is. Even I wasn't aware of the full scope of its power, partially because I didn't quite care. There's a reason for that.

The vast, vast majority of people who only care about how strong something is don't give two ***** about the Mythos. The Mythos isn't about incredible feats, absurd levels of power, or how "strong" something is. The Mythos is about perspective, the folly of man, things greater than we can imagine, and how absolutely ****** we are in the grand scheme of things. Take your average power wanker of a random franchise (could be DBS, one of the big comic companies, etc.) and have them read Through the Gates of the Silver Key to see what happens. That story alone has better feats than most known fiction, I can guarantee you 99% of them wouldn't care in the slightest, because "power" itself is not a factor in the story. It's instead the very nature of the ideas presented that makes things in it "powerful", and those ideas are what make it actually interesting.

I like Warhammer 40k because shit blows up and it has a lot of fun lore, cool weapons, and it's a game I frequently play with my friends (we also discuss lore and memes and shit). Like with most verses I like, I genuinely don't care if something I have no interest in can shitkick it. I only care about if said thing shitkicking it is accurate and not a either being wanked or put up against a downplayed 40k (Building level Abaddon when). If lore constantly stated that the best mobile ground weapons in the verse were Tier 8, Greater Daemons were nuke level, and the Chaos Gods were really only galactic, I'd like it just as much if everything else was the same.

As for the weakest verse I like, depends on what you'd consider a "verse" I guess. Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul would be one of my favorite verses of all time, and everyone in said verse is a completely normal person.

If you're talking about verses that are still about some form of fighting but are relatively weak comparatively, I have recently gotten into Malifaux, which I am trying to find and compile feats for. So far, the absolute greatest feat from a single character has been creating a blizzard (said character is also likely a high tier one), and the greatest statement is about pulling the moon from the sky, which may just be flowery language. It may be stronger than I currently know, but that has no effect on my enjoyment of it.

I will end this lengthy comment with some truth; most people like to see their favorite characters be powerful, but this doesn't mean they like characters because they're powerful. There's a reason that if you ask someone familiar with it about Suggsverse, they won't tell you it's the greatest thing they've ever read.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
As for the weakest verse I like, depends on what you'd consider a "verse" I guess. Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul would be one of my favorite verses of all time, and everyone in said verse is a completely normal person.
Thanks for reminding me!

Breaking Bad is probably the greatest TV Show I'ver ever seen, and it's all about human drama and not things blowing up.

Certainly, quality doesn't equal power. Some may even argue the opposite. One of the best-written game I've seen (Lisa) is a measly Wall level. Even myself, I only have two verses that I like that reaches Tier 1, even then these aren't my top favorites anyway.

Liking something purely for its power level is dumb as hell. Just see some modern DBS fans.

Though I must admit I often browse through new verse I take interest in for feats. I guess it's a habit for me (Just see how many obscure games I've introduced into the wiki), but I still enjoy a game even without feats.

Ever's and Azzy's way of liking a verse is basically my short and long way of how i care about anything in them...

I don't automatically like something just because it is powerful either. I am more focused on if something is interesting, imaginative, inventive, well-written, and entertaining. I am easily stressed out from reading too many horrifying news articles, so I like to get to relax a bit every now and then.

For example, I like Don Rosa's Uncle Scrooge comics, and Terry Pratchett's Discworld and Long Earth books. Neither of which feature very powerful main characters.

That said, I am an anal-retentive perfectionist when it comes to trying to gradually improve the accuracy of different profiles in this wiki.

Weakest verse I like? I've recently started to follow a few romcoms that are very low level. I guess it's Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai since it's regular human level. The other one, Rokudou no Onna-tachi, has a few Wall level delinquents.

The weakest verse I like is... hmmm... If I don't count any anime/manga that does not involve power in general, I think it's Kyoukai no Kanata.

A verse being powerful to any degree does make me like it a bit more in a positive way, but I take nothing away from it if it's weak and it's ultimately the least important thing and to some extent the only thing that doesn't matter.

I really do not care about my favourite verses being powerful, haxed, and the like. What I look for is plot, character design, lore... Everybody can make a verse where everyone is OP, but this doesn't turn it into a verse I like. Heck, my favourite game of all times tops at Building level. Doesn't stop it from being awesome.

If a verse is good, power is just irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's strong or weak, as long as it doesn't interfere with the reasons that made me love it. For example, I do not care about the next PMMM movie upgrading the characters, I just want to see how the story will develop.

The Everlasting said:
This is my extent on caring about power.
"Oh man, I love this verse! Sucks it's so weak..."
Pretty much.

Although if being powerful is its main selling point, the feats that show said power better be damn good.

Back