• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Mind Hax Potency

Hmmm. Assuming we scrapped number scaling, what about verses that explicitly treat mind-haxxing more people as being superior? Would they be the exception to the rule or?

Hmmm. Assuming we scrapped number scaling, what about verses that explicitly treat mind-haxxing more people as being superior? Would they be the exception to the rule or?
We haven't scrapped number scaling (i've already established the leaps and bounds adding +1 mind does), if mind-haxxing a human is treated as mind-haxxing an animal perhaps, but yes, it would be. But only on very established occasions.

The mind hax is not more powerful, but it is more potent. There is a difference here. Also, do you not have a direct refute?
Wait, what? Being more potent is more powerful in this scenario, unless i'm missing something? No I really don't. What you're saying makes sense, but I don't think that should be a universal standard unless it's a very common thing across fiction, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Mindhaxxing multiple people is a multitsking feat sort of....

Ever heard of computer slowing down because it was trying to handle too many processes at once which end up dividing it's processing speed and RAM.....Mind haxing is literally same ..... so numbers matter here...judging potency by numbers is important even.

But I agree resistance is another matter entirely......unless you assume that all of the mind hax potency isn't used on a single person you cannot claim that he has full resistance to it.

So TLDR;..
I staunchly agree on number scaling for potency....
But resistance potency is a case by case matter...

From all the times i've seen mind manip in fiction, most of the time a verse has grand scale mind/soul manip it's treated as the same potency for everyone evolved, similarly to casting a mind control spell in multiple foes and having them all perform the same mind resist check to see if they got affected or not.

The best 2 examples of explicit quantity of people haxed = potency i can think of as of now are Cosmo's mind manip in chainsawman, where she overloads a target's mind with massive amounts of information, wich allowed her to defeat a character who resisted mind attacks by sharing the burden with many proxies, and Psycho helmet/Gdimple's divine tree mindhax, that amplified it's power with each new consciousness added, eventually bypassing even strong espers with good mind control resist.

However, i still believe quantitative should be used for the simple fact it's the most objective way of defining mind hax potency. At worst i'd say we try to make the standards for range x actual potency harsher.

One of the few cases i do believe that quantitative potency shouldn't be used at all is when the mind control is achieved by "affecting the hardware in order to mess with the software" a.k.a messing with the brain's biology/anatomy to achieve a certain mind command effect, like a character releasing a virus that turns people into puppets, being able to biologically manip a character's brain to force a certain behaviour, releasing parasites that hijack consciousness, etc. Honestly, that sounds more like something that would be covered by bio resist rather than mind resist.

Ergenverse also has a specific instance of someone being stated to be unable to soul-hax everyone in the vicinity due to their being too many people in his divine sense range, from which can be reasoned out that the number of souls is tied to potency. And yeah, I know it's souls but minds = souls in-verse anyway.

Yes, DC might qualify for instance since mental attacks can be shown "physically" there.

Mindhaxxing multiple people is a multitsking feat sort of....

Ever heard of computer slowing down because it was trying to handle too many processes at once which end up dividing it's processing speed and RAM.....Mind haxing is literally same ..... so numbers matter here...judging potency by numbers is important even.

But I agree resistance is another matter entirely......unless you assume that all of the mind hax potency isn't used on a single person you cannot claim that he has full resistance to it.

So TLDR;..
I staunchly agree on number scaling for potency....
But resistance potency is a case by case matter...
First I will say this is an old thread but I'm bored but anyway here is my two cent.

I dont think mind manipulation potency has anything quantity of people it can affect I mean have I not seen a fictional verse like that, if anything it should just be another added thing like can affect multiple people at a time
Take for example, kabuto can out an entire town with genjutsu but does that mean his genjutsu is better than itachi that can only target one person at a time?
Clearly No the potency of itachi genjutsu which controls time, space, gravity e.t.c. is not even in league with anything kabuto can come up with although he can hax more.people under it at a time.

Same way I cringed when I argued with someone on this wiki and he said yhwach will resist mind hax from alien x cause he has mind manipulation resistance on his his profile?
What about the potency of his mind manipulation resistance hax?
Cause I remember him falling to KS.

Well everything is a case by case basis, but finding a good way to gauge mind hax potency will be good and number of people.it can affect should not even be part of it unless it was explicitly stated so, e.g. if it is stated to increase based on the number of people.it affects or decrease based on the number of.people it affect.
If not it should.just be treated by the effects it has on people

Back