• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Lightning requirements

Minor question if a lightning power in fiction doesn’t really fulfill many of the requirements in terms of quantity(Less than 3) but is extremely in depth on the real traits it has like generating magnetic fields or generating Ozone would it still be arguable that it is real lightning?

"Lightning that has demonstrated at a minimum a few properties that real lightning has, and significantly less properties that lightning shouldn't have, can be considered real."

Is a case of amount of accurate despiction vs amount of inaccurate despiction.

If the lightning shows more traits of not being actually that instead of the opposite, is not considered real.

It says "minimum a few", so at least 2.

Magnetic fields and generating ozone would be good enough
Paralyzing people and causing muscle convulsions is a must as well, for it to qualify as having real properties of lightning.

And DontTalkDT said in this thread that if the lightning bolt is massive and causes tremendous damage and is real electricity, it should be fine to scale up to 8-C and MHS+.

I agree with what KLOL mentioned thus DT's evaluation.

Now scaling to durability tho...

Might require a few factors.

Was the character's feet touching the ground or was it in mid-air? Was the character naked, bloodied and bruised? (Because the more badly you're wounded the higher the chance of you absorbing more of the lightning's entire energy yield because lower resistance) Did the character have any phone or some iPod like thing that'd transfer the energy away safely like it did in a few IRL situations?

That, or characters with precision strikes and can control the entire lightning bolt to get absorbed into the body, that's also another detail.

Although even then, it also might be exclusive to tanking heat feats and not so much blunt force trauma attacks. Universal energy systems could rectify that too though.

That, or characters with precision strikes and can control the entire lightning bolt to get absorbed into the body, that's also another detail.

Although even then, it also might be exclusive to tanking heat feats and not so much blunt force trauma attacks. Universal energy systems could rectify that too though.
Well to be fair lightning bolts can indeed strike with some serious blunt-force trauma.

But speed wise MHS+ should not be a problem.

I've also heard of malfunctioning power generators that literally made people disappear into a black soot with not even blood vapor in sight. And I hear that our current calc for vaping humans is sort of a lowball because it uses a temperature that takes too long to completely disintegrate humans and doesn't do it in an instant, but that's derailing territory.

Last edited:
Hate to derail with my side question, but would lightning causing the protagonist to slightly curl up a bit in their standing posture while also causing them to shake around briefly like this qualify for "making muscles of affected beings contract" on the lightning feats page?

Well to be fair lightning bolts can indeed strike with some serious blunt-force trauma.

But speed wise MHS+ should not be a problem.

I've also heard of malfunctioning power generators that literally made people disappear into a black soot with not even blood vapor in sight. And I hear that our current calc for vaping humans is sort of a lowball because it uses a temperature that takes too long to completely disintegrate humans and doesn't do it in an instant, but that's derailing territory.
WHOAH....👀..first time I am hearing such a thing....

So wouldn't surviving real lightning strike also count for heat resistances??
I recently learned that it's temp lead to uptp 30K Celsius or 50K Fahrenheit.

WHOAH....👀..first time I am hearing such a thing....

So wouldn't surviving real lightning strike also count for heat resistances??
I recently learned that it's temp lead to uptp 30K Celsius or 50K Fahrenheit.
If they don't get burned.

Fiction ignores this a lot, but if someone tanks a lightning attack, me personally, I'd argue for resistance

Hate to derail with my side question, but would lightning causing the protagonist to slightly curl up a bit in their standing posture while also causing them to shake around briefly like this qualify for "making muscles of affected beings contract" on the lightning feats page?
Yes, this easily qualifies.

If they don't get burned.

Fiction ignores this a lot, but if someone tanks a lightning attack, me personally, I'd argue for resistance
That and they literally need to be in mid-air and badly wounded (As in, their bodies need to be literally covered from head to toe with serious cuts and contusions and bleeding all over the place) for them to be able to actually properly scale to the bolt's energy yield as physical dura. Lots of factors play into this.

There do exist feats where lightning bolts physically dispersed the very storm cloud that summoned it.

Back