• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About "Infinite Stamina" Robots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to address this. I'm in school right now and not in the best of moods, so I'll make this as quick but detailed as possible.

Now the reason (and yes ONLY reason) why Robotic-type characters have endless stamina is because they are purely 100% robotic. No living qualities or anything, just being robots. Think of guys like Andriod 17 and 18, Magearna, and so on as examples. You'd think "just being robots" alone would be grounds for this. Way I see it, it isnt. At all.

Unless theres just a misunderstanding I happened to point out right now, being purely machanical shouldnt automatically have infinite stamina be slapped on for you. At least, a case by case basis, needs to be applied. First, this line of reasoning is blatently inconsistent among our robot/mecha charcaters here. Examples:

Code:
-Cyborg (Teen Titans) -Jenny Walkerman -EVE (Wall-E) -White Tigerzord -Voltron -Gurren Lagaan -Optimus Prime(Transformers) -Technus (Danny Phantom) -Magetta and Koichiarator (Dragon Ball Super)
At least 10 different robot characters here who lack infinite stamina and have no where even near it due to reasoning on their pages. The fact not even all robots automatcally have infinite endurance slapped on for them, but some do "just because", should tell you somethings wrong.

The next problem with this line of reasoning is the specific reasons WHY not all robots have endless endurance. For example, in Jenny's case, she needs to recharge her power supply in order to continue fighting. And as a part of her weaknesses, it lists she can compensate for that using solar panels (something that CONTINOUSLY absorbs solar energy until night) and back-up batteries. And even with that, she still lacks endless stamina. If being a robot meant infinite endurance, her need for a power source/power supply or batteries would be pointless (That said, I have not seen MLATR in a long time, so memory isn't perfect.)

In Voltrons case, the page blatently says the lions rely on the stamina of its piolts, the Paladins, which SHOULD be superhuman. Why would a robot need the endurance of people if by just being mechanical already gives you limitless stamina?

In Gurren Lagann's case, and yes all versions (sans STTGL), they are in a similar boat as Voltron. Even as robots, they rely on the willpower of the pilots who use them. Without the pilots, it can't power itself. But its a robot so Infinite Stamina should be applied right? Not really. And even with STTGL its limtiless rating comes from nowhere (though thats beside the point here and if it has it for a x reason, im fine with it).

In Eve's case...its just her being a robot, which I addressed before. Though shes listed as Likely High, which makes no sense if robots last endlessly.

In White Tigerzords case, it once again only has decent stamina despite being a robotic character. And as listed on his page, fighting for prolonged periods of time will actually even harm itself in the end.

In Optimus Prime's case, he's a robot and he literally only has superhuman stamina. And IIRC has shown to tire out before but I can be wrong.

In Technus's case, not only does he possess mechanical stuff ALL the time and only has a low finite amount of stamina, but the fact hes a ghost as well and STILL lacks it says something here.

-In Magetta and Koichiators cases, Magettas endurance is completely reliant on the amount of magma he consumes, which again shouldnt be a thing if Limitless stamina was a thing here. Hell, for Koichiator, he only has extremely high stamina because he's a robot and thats...yeah.

In Cyrborgs case, im aware he is only part robot due to being part human. That said, his stamina is only unonown. Being a robot and having unknown might say something.

I could name more but these should be enough. There are examples of these robots being limited in endurance because of stuff like battery recharging, power sources, relient on willpower and so on. Some of these are common robot limitations, so why exactly is limitless stamina being automatically slapped on almost every robot you see? Again, unless its some minor misunderstanding that can easiy be taken care of, we need to change this.

Am I saying robotic guys can never have infinite stamina? Definitely not. If theres a good reason, or something more than "just a machine", im perfectly fine with them having infinite stamina. Otherwise, if being a robot is literally the only reaaon they have infinite stamina, given the named factors, they should be downgraded or at least looked at on a case by case basis so a limitless stamina rating isn't just lazily slapped on every mechanical character here automatically when that definitely isnt the case.

Thoughts and opinions on this would be very appreicated. Thank you and Ill answer back myself later on.

Think that we should assume limitless stamina until proven otherwise? I mean, lots of robots in fiction have power sources, but if they haven't demonstrated power sources (infinite or otherwise), we should either give them "unknown" or endless.

Also, for now, could someone highlight this please?

If this is accepted, it will affect quite a lot of people. And this does seem important.

I mean... I'm beyond time. owo

The reason I am for "Unknown, possibly limitless", is only because of scenarios where their power source and demonstrated limitations aren't clear. Like, I don't know, does the Terminator have infinite stamina?

There's also weird things like, power drain might work as a time limit, rather than them slowly becoming less effective over time like other organisms. With more, "human" machines like Android 17 & 18, 9S, and 2B, who's combat effectiveness lowers not from exhaustion, but from taking massive damage that hinders their moments and functions-- like 17 against Cell when he got stomped, or what makes 9S and 2B limp when they take critical damage.

Just, I don't know, give them "Unknown, possibly limitless" when we have no information on the nature of their power source and no indication of stamina drain through exhaustion like normal humans.

I think it's less infinite stamina and more that robots don't get tired in the sense that they need to stop and eat or sleep. They can still exhaust their "fuel" or "energy supply" and need recharging, or whatnot.

But if a robot has a canonically infinite or self-sustaining energy supply that never ends, and it is still depicted as panting or exhausted in fights, then it is just PIS for dramatic flair.

Just to put this in everyone's head. Just because a character has infinite and is seen panting, it does not mean they do not have endless stamina. It just for dramatic effect. So keep that in mind.

I obviously agree that simply being mechanical doesn't remotely automatically give a character infinite stamina, and neither does being undead. I seem to recall repeatedly encountering both notions over the years.

Stamina- the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort.

Such effort requires energy, which all moving things possess and exert.

Unless they're stated to have infinite energy and/or stamina like the androids, or are 3-A+ or higher, they shouldn't have infinite energy, especially if they need to recharge or whatever.

Iron Man's suit for example has an energy percentage, so the suit alone isn't limitless in energy/stamina.

It really depends on the robot; like Android 17 and 18 have limitless stamina due to their built in Ki that never depletes. But Robocop doesn't have infinite Stamina because he needs to recharge his battery every 24 hours. And Same with Terminator, his Hydrogen Fuel Cells only last 120 years individually, assuming they don't get damaged; which is a lot, but not limitless.

I agree with UMR and OP.

Honestly, I feel like we NLF this pretty hard. Stamina should only be infinite when stated if you ask me.

I mean, infinite, but feels exahausted-- I can agree that they're infinite for all intents and purposes for combat-- I have an OC that feels fatigue but won't actually ever lose a stamina battle-- he can die from exhaustion, but only after he is sure the conflict is over, basically. Is it contradictory for infinite stamina holders to have it practically, but not fully (as in they shouldn't feel any of the effects), sure. Doesn't change the fact that they won't be able to be exhausted in a war of attrition, even if they display some kind of craziness like sweating.

Well, I have repeatedly tried to adjust profiles that claim this over the years.

Perhaps we should add an editing rule for this?

I agree that a character should not get Infinite Stamina unless that demonstrate that. Androids 17 & 18 are clear examples as they do not tire at all.

If a mechainical character has an energy source that depletes over time and use, then they don't have infinite stamina. They have a stamina far above the norm for humans as they can keep going for however long their power lasts but eventually, they must rest and recharge.

Robocop and Jenny are examples of that. Heck, even many version of Optimus Prime have to eventually stop and consume energon in order to keep himself functioning.

Well, the issue itself seems to be pretty uncontroversial, and everybody involved in this thread apparently agree with each other.

We currently simply need to write a new editing rule. Suggestions are welcome.

"Please note that a character being mechanical does NOT automatically grant them endless/infinite stamina. Such instances should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and discussed in revision threads."

When creating or editing profiles for robot or cyborg characters, they should not be assumed to have limitless stamina unless they either demonstrate or are stated in lore to never deplete. Superhuman stamina combined with great pain tolerance should be more generally preferred assumptions.

How does that sound, better word usage is open though. Edit: Kep's suggestion also works.

Kepekley23 said:
"Please note that a character being mechanical does NOT automatically grant them endless/infinite stamina. Such instances should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and discussed in revision threads."
Simple

Maybe something like this?

"Please note that characters that are mechanical or undead should not automatically be assumed to possess infinite stamina, unless this trait has been clearly defined within the series or by the lore."

Thank you. Are the rest of you fine with adding this rule as well?

Okay. I will add it then. Should we close this thread and remove the highlight afterwards?

Yeah, I suppose we could add it to the stamina page as well, and since it's pretty much concluded, we can close the thread.

ProfessorKukui4Life asked me to reopen this, as he wants to ask a question about which characters that should have their statistics changed.

Well, in that case I can close this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back