• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Suggestion I'd Like To Implement

ScarletFirefly

VS Battles
Retired
Hello,

It has been almost three months since this note was added to the Versus Thread Rules:

• For the sake of variation, if you wish to be involved in versus threads, it is appreciated if you do not only participate in the ones featuring extremely popular characters.
As of today, I have not noticed an increase of matchups featuring less popular characters and the same pattern of repeated characters is still present.

Considering that the Versus Boards are the most popular "attraction" of this wiki and in an attempt to fix the current situation, or at least better it, I'd like to implement something I'm currently calling Matchup Wednesdays (name is subject to change).

What this is, is basically a highlighted versus thread featuring less popular characters, a "matchup of the week" if you will. By highlighting the thread, more people will be aware of it, and hopefully more input will be received. The highlight will remain until the next matchup, or until the day before.

If this gets accepted, I have some matchups in mind, but users are free to post their suggestions on my wall.

I believe this is an addition that our Wiki will likely benefit from in terms of versus variety, so I am interested to know what your thoughts are.

Well, I do not think that versus threads are important enough for the wiki development to be highlighted, and there would likely be controversy regarding which ones to pick. My apologies.

Well, I've seen other wikias use the highlight feature to encourage discussion. For example discussion for that week's anime episode and stuff like that. I don't believe in keeping this place as "formal" as it currently is, that's why I suggested this. Highlighting these threads is completely non intrusive (users can just mark it as read and move on), and does not interfere with Wiki Management threads in any way (they are rare to begin with anyway).

I don't think there will be controversy regarding which threads are chosen, I mean the users are free to make the thread themselves in the first place. Also, I really do not believe such a thing is enough to create disagreements between users.

"For the sake of variation, if you wish to be involved in versus threads, it is appreciated if you do not only participate in the ones featuring extremely popular characters."

I'm going to bed. However personally I think people are entitled to comment or not comment in whatever VS threads they want, as long as they're acting appropriately.

As much as some people might not like characters being given too much attention or too little, no one should have to comment on a match up they don't want to.

I know that note is only as a suggestion or thing of appreciation to put in the rules instead of an actual enforced thing. However I'm not even sure if it needs that.

People wouldn't be expected to reply to the highlighted thread at all. It's just there to remind them that it's going on and if they would like, they can give their input.

I'm just saying I don't like that note all too much. But I suppose there isn't much harm in keeping it.

As for "Match Up Wednesdays" it certainly is not something we'd usually highlight. Though if the community wants to open up its highlights to include some less formal subjects like many others do I am fine with that.

However I predict that the process of chosing a thread to highlight is going to be a pain. And contain controversy with people getting butthurt the thread they like didn't make it. That might be a thing to try and keep in mind.

Though overall I am not too opposed to this and am willing to listen to what other people want. With that, I'm going to bed.

Well, as Ryukama mentioned, we cannot force people to respond to versus threads that do not interest them, and I think that we should focus our highlights on content revision threads that are genuinely important for the wiki development. Othervise we risk to exhaust our members' attentions with comparative nonsense.

Well Scarlet never suggested a force. However I don't even like encouraging people to comment on VS threads they don't like out of pity that a verse isn't too popular.

Users should just comment on whatever they want and that's their business. This point is a little unrelated to Scarlet's main thread though. So my apologies.

I don't mind highlighting less formal topics and do not think it'll be exhausting to users. I am only concerned for the process of choosing what to highlight.

Well, I was not being literal with the force comment.

I still do not like the notion of risking to spam less important highlights though. It would likely take attention away from the more important ones.

Alright. Either way for me

• Highlighting less important topics isn't that big of a deal.
  • I am completely fine with highlighting less important stuff if the community wants to.
  • Someone can simply just ignore a highlighted thread like they would with anything else that's hightlighted they don't care about.
  • Highlighting these topics can help to bring attention to those actually interested though.
However

• Choosing what thread is worthy of a hightlight seems a bit subjective and arbitrary.
  • I don't think some users are mature enough to not get butthurt if a thread they like isn't chosen.
Those are my perceived pros and cons here.

The note is pretty much useless as it stands that's why I proposed this.

And not to be blunt, but what's this about "exhausting our members' attentions with comparative nonsense." ?

First of all, highlight threads here are extremely rare, like one in 1-2 months probably. And unless people have the attention span of a baby, I really do not believe in this statement. How exactly does it exhaust the attention of memebers if a "casual" thread is highlighted? They see the highlight, if they are not interested, they move on and that's that. Hardly an inconvenience.

Ryukama said:
  • Choosing what thread is worthy of a hightlight seems a bit subjective and arbitrary.
  • I don't think some users are mature enough to not get butthurt if a thread they like isn't chosen.
I'm sure we can figure something out for the first and tbh I don't think the second would happen, at least not in a scale that would make people care.

How about this.

• Choosing what threads to highlight for this weekly battle is a voluntary project you and a few other staff members take upon yourselves.
  • You guys handle how to choose which thread and decide how to determine if a match "deserves attention" or when characters "aren't popular enough."
  • Since you guys would be mods, you guys take care of butthurt users if they arise.
Then the rest of us can handle other matters and issues. And this minor little thing doesn't turn into a big project that requires a bunch of staff's time and energy.

Well, I suppose that a maximum of 4 highlighted versus threads a month should be okay. I was concerned that staff members would start to randomly highlight them.

I'm totally fine with only 1-2 a month. However if Scarlet wants to do weekly like he originally suggested. How about instead of Wednesday you guys make this a Friday-Sunday thing?

Most users especially more casual ones are more likely to be active and want to participate in match ups during the weekend.

And that gives you guys a week to decide what thread to go with instead of 2 days like Wednesday.

I thought I would be alone in choosing the threads, but if anyone else volunteers to help out, that would be fine as well.

Well, I suppose that 1-2 highlighted versus threads a month should be okay.
I am fine with this. We see how it goes and make decisions from there.

I think that Ryukama makes sense, but we have to be careful that the highlighting is kept under tight control, and does not get out of hand.

Yeah weekly might start making a bunch of highlights stack up for users that haven't been on for weeks. Though I suppose we'd simply remove their highlights after a while.

To be honest, I suggested Wednesday because I'm not that much available during the weekend. But I'm fine with 1-2 a month and see where it goes.

I think removing the highlight of the old thread once a new thread is up would be okay. Would both threads show up to someone who hasn't been on for a while?

@Scarlet then make it Wednesday but not every Wednesday of the month on a weekly basis. Only 1 or 2 Wednesdays each month.

As for highlights, I recall not being on the site for a while and assualted by a bunch of delayed highlights. Along with other users experiencing a similar thing. I guess it depends on the time and how long we keep the highlight for and such.

A couple days to a week should be fine IMO.

You would have to find a few staff members who are willing to help you out with selecting an interesting versus thread every now and then though.

Many Discussion Moderators are super interested and invested in VS threads from my experience. I think Scalet could find some who can help him.

Perhaps we could have a special ongoing "Versus Thread Highlighting Selection" thread in the staff board for this purpose?

I have Burning Full Fingers currently in mind but I'll look around and see what I can find.

Perhaps we could have a special ongoing "Versus Thread Highlighting Selection" thread in the staff board for this purpose?
How would this work?

Sure. Or perhaps Scarlet just message walls his assistents in this. However he wants to organize and think it'd be best.

Well, it is important to make the staff understand that this is a special project, and that they are not supposed to randomly highlight any versus threads that they feel like. As such, a specific staff discussion thread should be useful.

You could invite different members to take part in it via their message walls.

So, do I choose 1-2 more staff members to work with and then notify other staff they are not supposed to highlight other versus threads?

No threads besides those you and your assistents agree upon are to be highlighted.

And there should be an absolute maximum of 1 thread highlighted every week.

Since this month is almost over, I'm thinking about only one thread. For the upcoming month, I think a thread on week 1 and another on week 3 would be okay?

Back