• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Message to the Struggling Members of the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomElite

VS Battles
Retired
I've come to realize over the course of this year that quite the number of users here either are depressed, feel misreable in their lives, or are sucumbing to depression. These are all serious problems. Of course, we are limited in what we can do. We have special hotlines listed on the wiki in case people wish to seek professional help but, everyone's situation is different. I was once struggling really hard. I was a college drop out, more broke than a Jaguar CD, but had to provide for my two youngest sisters who were only 8 years old at the time. Life was rough to a point I couldn't take it, but it got better! It can for all of you too!

I want all of you who are struggling in life, whether you care or not, to know that we as a community care about you and want the best in your lives. Maybe the bullies who gang up on you, post memes about you, and talk trash about you a great length and then masquerade it as being "just a joke" don't care, because it's "not their problem", but the general people do care. Doesn't matter, staff or non-staff. We care. Don't be afraid to talk to me. You can reach me at VSBW Chat, Fanfiction.net, Google+, Google Hangouts, and eventually Skype. I will provide the sympathetic ear you need, if you don't want to go to the professionals just yet. I may not be a psychiatrist like this fine lady but I damn sure have the experience of being in the same boat. I can relate.

Fandom is not simply just "Wikia" anymore. You may or may not like it, but it's become more of a social platform. We shouldn't discourage people from asking for help just because that's a topic not rating to "who beats who, powerscaling, feats, or calculations". I made this thread because I felt like just listing hotlines by country wasn't enough as not everyone falls into that category and may not necessarily need professional help, but just a friend to talk to. Someone who can stop talking about who beats who, powerscaling, feats, memes, or calculations for at least 10 minutes to provide that sympathetic ear. I'm not painting myself as some Superman figure either (even though my sister calls me the Asian Clark Kent...). I'm sure others are willing to listen as well.

Special thanks to my close friend Lady Alice, as well as ALRF (Alf), and Elione-Arisu for motiviating me to make this thread.

What Venny said, all of the people here that i know of are my friends, people that i have made a bond with and surely will make more, life may become harsh indeed and it could get worse and it may seems like one is alone but that isn't the case, there are people that care, people that are willing to help and listen to your problems , no one is alone, we are all one, i'm willing to hear your problems, getting frustrated by something IRL? Come to chat and i will listen to all of it , no matter what it is nothing is truly impossible , there is always hope.

All of us are a family here

Thank you for making this thread. That is very nice of you.

I have been trying to help various people here over the years, whether on their message walls or private PMs, but have not been able to properly do so recently due to being kept too busy with helping to manage this community, along with my massive concerns about real world problems. My apologies.

@Ant

I appreciate everything you've done and you have been very helpful in assisting people. No need to apologize. We all have our concerns and it's those concerns that make us real people worth actually caring about.

As a regular member with two majors, relatively active on this wiki and going into streaming soon, I know the pains of depression and anxiety (heck had a very bad episode of depression until recently)

I am here as a regular member and as a friend.

I quoted my favorite character a million times, so might as well make it a million and one.

"You don't need a reason to help someone."

Also plan to post my discord and skype for both an extension of open friendship and issues with the vs wiki on my profile.

@KinkiestSins

Thank you very much for your support as both a community member and friend. :)

@Ven

Thank you for making this thread. The message is warm and uplifting, and I hope it can reach as many Users as possible and inspire them to be open and seek assistance.

And also thank you again for the conversation we had before. I really needed that.

I'm currently in the process of completing the first year of my residency as a psychiatrist, hence my trip to the United States. I've talked to several teenagers, most range from 14-17 years old, quite the number of them have some form of depression and I was surprised that a few of them even use Fandom wikis by coincidence. This is an entertainment hub, the largest in the world that shares information about the topics people enjoy. It should be no surprise that people here have anxiety, depression, or some other form of mental health issue. This may be their safespace because they have none in the real world. Here, they are among friends it seems, people they can talk to.

A 14 year old African American child even told me his only friends are on Superpower Wiki. Shame I didn't ask for his username. I motivated Ven into making this thread because I see that being strangers on the intetret shouldn't prevent you from helping somebody or at least trying within a certain space (i.e. VSBW community members). Holding onto the fact that they may be lying or craving attention defeats the purpose of assuming good faith and can lead to even worse scenarios should that not be the case (and most of the time it isn't).

I've witnessed a lot of sick people in Chicago alone. Many have told they just needed a friend to talk to but no one would listen. Communication is even more extensive on the internet. Be it instant messaging, phone calls via the internet or video chat. Anything can help. Don't be afraid to step out and lend a hand.

Mhh, I have also had so problems with regard to stress. I'm about to finish my studies and I still do not know what I'm going to do when I've the age to leave home. It is a stressful situation because of my family which expect the best from me.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next.

yeah agreed a lot of us have a ton of struggles i for one have to not only catch up but make myself more motivated and fix some of my mental illness (though i'm managing i'm kinda concerned i'm not able to hold it together like with ADHD or depression) and tbh if i didn't have met some of the awesome ppl of the wiki i think me keeping my crap together would be like A LOT harder that's for sure

@Peach-chan

Yes, people should know we are here for them, we are ready for them, they no longer have to keep this all to themselves

@TISSG7 and @Newendigo and everyone in here, is welcome to chat with me, i'm always willing to help this community that welcomed me with open arms :)

Oh my, I'm late here. Well anyways, thanks for making this thread. It is really nice. For you guys that are struggling, I hope you can eventually overcome this. We might not know each other in real life, but I'm still and will support you.

@Prof. Kuikui

Yes, it would. I believe so. It won't stop your occasional troll or over-the-top edgelord but it can help those younger users who are just acting out for attention.

Depression may seem bad, but things can get better! & whether you think that or not, if any of you are feeling down, you can know that I'm always hoping for you to get better, too!

This was extremely nice of you to makes this thread, people struggle a lot and should be able to talk about it. I don't talk to mostly anyone here but if your having problems I wish you luck and hope things get better.

It's very important to reach out to and acknowledge the struggles of those dealing with depression, and give them the support they need. Thank you for making this thread. As someone who has had quite a lot of trouble with my depression in the past year, it means a lot, and I'm sure it means just as much to everyone else with these struggles.

Jman8009 said:
I'm currently struggling with fear about practically everything but especially net neutrality. As embarrassing as that is to admit. I just haven't really voiced my struggles though. I feel like nothing helps ;(
Sorry to hear that, I hope things get better for you.

I used to have problems some years ago, but after I received help and stopped being isolated, I have turned much more stable and mentally healthy.

For those who are not aware, I found and inserted some links to various mental health hotlines to our Site Rules page some time ago. Hopefully it might be of help.

Promestein said:
As someone who has had quite a lot of trouble with my depression in the past year, it means a lot, and I'm sure it means just as much to everyone else with these struggles.
Everything will be better, just hold on alright ?

Well, as I mentioned in the OP, I went through depression as well. For a very long time. I've decided to share with you all the story (in summary) in hopes that it gives you some hope or something.

"How I Fought Against Depression and Won"

As I said, I dropped out of college because I hated it there, was broke, lived in a crappy one bedroom apartment with my two youngest sisters, my younger sister Tsubaki was in another country (and this is the sibling I spent my entire life with up until that point), barely any food, worked a pathetic job at McDonald's just to pay rent and only was able to get money for food because my friend pitched in ever now and then. All because my mother isn't mentally stable enough to take care of those kids. I was miserable, hated life, cried a lot back then. I was brainwashed by ridiculous conspiracies, questioned the meaning of line more than a normal person should, and began to wonder what it would feel like to how a blade on my neck.

You know what happened? I had enough. I was 21 when I almost took my life, but I decided not to, because those two little siblings of mine needed me, otherwise no one would take care of them. I began searching for things that interested me, such as cars. Yeah I wrote original stories but they were OP Suggs-lite crap and I wouldn't have made it as a writer anyway. Therefore, I decided to self-teach myself about cars, mechanical work. I started fixing friend's cars (little problems, nothing too big) but earned money from it. My little sisters started getting fed every night (not a full meal, but something). No longer did they go to bed hungry. Because I was serious about changing and making a difference in my life, I went out with a friend of mine (The Reclusive One) began learning of modifications. We started fixing up old cars in a junkyard, then modify them, and sell them. Together we started racking up some real money. Now not only did my little sisters not go to bed hungry anymore, but they no longer had to live in that crappy one bedroom apartment eating cup noodles for dinner every night, and I didn't have to sleep on the floor so they can sleep on a bed. We moved into a three bedroom apartment, cleaner, safer, with air conditioning, proper plumbing, everything! I was becoming happier and happier.

I got my sisters and myself out of that dreadful apartment, I was starting to generate enough income to quite the job I hated at McDonald's, I started ignoring all the conspiracies and horrible things I kept hearing to focus on what's right in front of me. My two angels. With the twins in a better environment, their academics became to improve exponentially and best of all...soon, I met the girl that would become my wife some years later. I was a kid who spent most his days preventing his mother from committing suicide when he wasn't playing video games, basically had to take care of his little sister despite being so young, was a failure in school, ran away from home like some misfit in society, had his two younger-half sisters placed into his custody (a huge responsibility weighed on his shoulders unlike anything ever before), yet dropped out of college due to hating it and not being interested in it, working a crappy low paying fast food job, turn his life completely around by stepping out there and defining my life by myself. In the end this didn't just benefit me, but my sisters as well. I can now afford healthcare for the twins. For those who don't know, Peach-chan is epileptic and Yumi-tan is haphaphobic and has high-functioning autism. They would not have therapy, medical care, and the attention they deserve if I ended it all that day several years back.

Yeah, me moving back home months after marrying Sera is basically breaking me but, I'll bounce back and never reach such a low state like that again because now, I have another wonder being brought into this world that will depend on me to take care of her, and I need to take care of my wife and sisters.

If life turned around for me, it CAN turn around for you! No matter how useless and pathetic you think you are, how lonely you feel, how miserable you many become. Nothing stays stationary forever, change is inevitable.

Choose your fate alone. Seize it with your own hands. All the more, if you have depression and/or are struggling with life.

@VenomElite Thank you for sharing your story, I am actually at the point in my life where I don't know what I'm actually going to do. I am broke, I have no job, I have 0 friends and I think that I may never be able to do anything about it.

I joined this wiki because I wanted to be apart of something, I never been able to get my life under control as it's like a rollercoaster that mainly goes down but on rare occasions goes up. I not very intelligent, I have a very bad memory (can't remember about 60% of the things I do each day and the worst thing is I can't remember anything good I've done for others but I can remember ever dumb thing I've done). I dropped out of school because of the pressure and I was always being bullied every day. Every night I stay awake wondering if I'm ever gonna be able to turn my life around, this leads me to feel sad most of the time and I even snap over little things, I even became selfish at one point.

Currently I'm doing well but still have the thought in my mind I'm never going to be anything. I'd I am not one to talk about my problems, I just bottle them up but hearing your story really allowed me to open up and not feel embarrassed to write this.

Thank you for making this thread.

Thank you very much for making this thread. It's very helpful towards the community. This transcends basic wiki things and becomes something that can make peoples' lives in the real world better.

I'm very sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had to face in your life. But at least it seems like you've managed to perservere and are using this to give others advice on how to do the same. Any community could benefiet tremendously by having someone like that helping out.

I feel that by far one of the most important jobs for a community leader is to make sure members feel comfortable, confident, safe and fun when joining. That's why I try my best to be nice to everyone whenever I can. Frequently be social/talk to many of the members. And come across as an approachable, easy to talk to person.

I would like to say that any members here who are struggling have my deepest sympathy and greatest support. Just know that no matter how lonely you feel. Or how distant from everyone your journey seems. That there are always people who care about you. Whether it's a member on this site, a friend in the real world, a family member, a teacher, a hotline, whatever it is.

Despite what anyone including yourself might say, you matter. You're important and you have a far greater impact on this world than you could ever imagine. You have value and deserve to have that value preserved.

I hope the best for you and everyone else here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back