• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier 8-B: The Ultimate Quest Tournament (2022): Quarter-Final: Gon Freecss vs Big Boss

Quarter-Final 1:
Rules:
  • Same Rules as stated in the Tournament.
  • Speed Equalized
  • Random encounters no prior knowledge to anybody or of the location.
  • Distance: Fighting distance for every matchup will be 30 meters.
  • Location: The Island of Lemon located on The Nierre’s Heaven.
There will be 2 Quarter-Finals this is the first one, Let's see who wins this and goes to the Semi Final.
NTaEzHH.png

Result:
Big Boss: 8 (Chariot, Veloxt, Fanta, Popted2, Guns, Glacier, Speed, DemonicDude)
Gon Freecss: 1 (Charmander)
Inconclusive:
nt2cjkE.png

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I watched/read HXH, I forget, does Gyo or whatever enable Gon to see life force of everything (like some DBZ ki sense shit?) or is that just something that enables him to see Nen abilities that otherwise would be invisible like Hisoka's Bungee Gum and the like?

Extremely important question.

It's been awhile since I watched/read HXH, I forget, does Gyo or whatever enable Gon to see life force of everything (like some DBZ ki sense shit?) or is that just something that enables him to see Nen abilities that otherwise would be invisible like Hisoka's Bungee Gum and the like?

Extremely important question.
It allows one to see invisible things by strengthening their eye sight.

To what extent though? There's multiple forms of invisibility.

Alright. I've looked into Big Boss's profile, so I'll give my input on the outcome of the fight.

Gon should take the lead in combat skill, as he is shown to be as cunning as Big Boss, and a strategist, as said earlier when he managed to use someone's psychological response to an incoming object to his advantage, using his surroundings, etc. The advantage Gon has is by no means great or anything, but still, it's present nonetheless.

Big Boss absolutely dominates in versatility considering his many weapons, and ways to stun or attack Gon, on top of Accelerated Development to quickly compensate for the skill gap in the midst of combat. Surely he won't surpass Gon outright, as Gon also has Accelerated Development, and can keep up with people more skilled with him as he did with Knuckle, so the gap is not going to be inversed, but eventually, both will be comparable in skill.

Gon, however, possesses Reactive Power Level, meaning he will progressively get faster, stronger, and more skilled, while Big Boss only gets skill out of his hax, therefore Gon will get a continuous advantage in a physical sense. Furthermore, Big Boss' guns wouldn't be effective, as bladed/piercing objects can simply be blocked by a powerful Nen, and since Gon even at baseline is twice as strong, and can go up to 100 tons in Durability, it's likely his darts/bullets will simply bounce off Gon's Nen and won't be able to put him to sleep at all.

Considering his Invisibility and Sound Manipulation, Gon might have trouble finding him, but thanks to Gyo which can see invisible Nen, he might be able to see him. Even if he can't, this can easily be countered by Gon's skill, as he will easily figure out that he only needs to take a piece of the scenario and make an omnidirectional attack in order to find the invisible opponent (much like it was discovered by Youpi during the Chimera Ant arc), thus, overcoming said ability as well.

Gon's advantage, that being nearly 5x with Ryu, will allow him to effectively decimate Big Boss on the first connected hit, likely breaking whatever he hits, and by considering Gon's extensive knowledge on HxH's version of Kung Fu, Gon should use this monstrous advantage to connect a hit in a specific spot in order to knock him out instantly. (7.5x gap is only for a hit on the chest, a 5x gap on the chin would send the dude to the shadow realm instantly)

About sleeping gases... Gon can hold his breath for about 10 minutes, and literally did that to escape sleeping gas, he has experience with such.

Basically, one hit to the jaw, or a well connected hit with martial arts knowledge, and the opponent is out.

Ill give a reply in morning (it's past midnight here), but I'll ask, what's the exact mechanics of Gyo and Nen invisibility?

Nen users can hide physical objects, and aura from the eyes with In, but Gyo completely bypasses that, allowing one to see the invisible things either way.

I was moreso asking the exact mechanics, how does In do that? And can Gyo bypass that as it's a nen ability to pick up and see nen thus enabling it to bypass nen based invisibility or things cloaked with nen? the mechanics do matter quite a bit, honestly, depending on how this works is what's probably gonna decide if I vote BB or Gon. Iirc it worked by Nen just being able to go lol invisible, and Gyro being able to neg that, I could very well be wrong though, the mechanics and limits of this effects the outcome potentially imo (Only recent HXH I read was Ant arc and beyond, everything before that has been quite awhile).

Ill give a reply in morning (it's past midnight here), but I'll ask, what's the exact mechanics of Gyo and Nen invisibility?

I was moreso asking the exact mechanics, how does In do that? And can Gyo bypass that as it's a nen ability to pick up and see nen thus enabling it to bypass nen based invisibility or things cloaked with nen? the mechanics do matter quite a bit, honestly, depending on how this works is what's probably gonna decide if I vote BB or Gon. Iirc it worked by Nen just being able to go lol invisible, and Gyro being able to neg that, I could very well be wrong though, the mechanics and limits of this effects the outcome potentially imo (Only recent HXH I read was Ant arc and beyond, everything before that has been quite awhile).

There isn't a "cloaking into invisibility" aspect involved.
In is a high level application of Zetsu (which erases one's presence), and it means "conceal", making aura and objects, and the user completely undetectable.
It just turns Nen invisible, Gyo counters that.

But regardless, this isn't even necessary. Gon can feel presences anyway.

There isn't a "cloaking into invisibility" aspect involved.
In is a high level application of Zetsu (which erases one's presence), and it means "conceal", making aura and objects, and the user completely undetectable.
It just turns Nen invisible, Gyo counters that.

But regardless, this isn't even necessary. Gon can feel presences anyway.
Ah, according to the Nen page on VSBW, In turns aura invisible for all five senses, as shown in the battle against Uvogin.

Range on that? Iirc it's pretty negligible right? Only a few meters?
Assuming we're talking about the psychometry (Though I don't even see it listed on Gon's profile, which is a bit odd, don't see life force sensing at all? Pretty sure he has it though so I'll ignore that but details on it's effectiveness and AOE would be beneficial).

Range on that? Iirc it's pretty negligible right? Only a few meters?
Assuming we're talking about the psychometry (Though I don't even see it listed on Gon's profile, which is a bit odd, don't see life force sensing at all? Pretty sure he has it though so I'll ignore that but details on it's effectiveness and AOE would be beneficial).
(Extrasensorial Perception is that)
No, no, Psychometry is En, the ability to feel any physical movement within a certain aura range

Gon is capable of sensing one's presence. It doesn't have a specific range, but it seems to be at least dozens of meters if Kastro is any indication.

Nen users sensing presence through life force, that's the whole reason Zetsu exists as a technique, lel

So dozens of meters? That might be problematic given they start off at 30m to begin with.

I don't know for sure. Kastro just said Killua should have concealed his presence before getting to the floor because his aura is particularly strong. Not necessarily his limit

Doesn't that directly imply he could sense him at that distance because of the overwhelming aura, not per say, because he could sense like, a stick bug or some shit from however far away?

Doesn't that directly imply he could sense him at that distance because of the overwhelming aura, not per say, because he could sense like, a stick bug or some shit from however far away?
Not at all. The logic was, because Killua's aura was so strong, it's noticable when he uses Zetsu in the proximity (as such a strong aura suddenly disappears), which would alert any nen user. Completely unrelated to range.

Did some basic pixelscaling (HA tower is 991m tall) and the floor around the 200th floor is around 50m long. Kastro said Killua should've used Zetsu before even getting at the floor, it's likely higher than that.

Not at all. The logic was, because Killua's aura was so strong, it's noticable when he uses Zetsu in the proximity (as such a strong aura suddenly disappears), which would alert any nen user. Completely unrelated to range.

That still very well seems to imply that Killua, in particular, due to having such an innate aura, that it suddenly vanishing would be a huge red flag and is overtly noticeable, but would the same apply if a bug or something's aura vanished? WOuld they even be able to pick up on something like that in first place? It's well established that despite everything having Nen, it most certainly isn't equal, would picking up on a rat be harder than picking up Meruem? Something like that. That example is for Killua, it's already mentioned his is far beyond normalcy, what I'm asking is, is there any examples of such a thing actually being utilized where they sense of life force of someone, or something, that doesn't literally reek of it and exude excessive amounts of it? Killua isn't exactly the best example to use.
Not counting Meruem, I know he has this in spades.

Did some basic pixelscaling (HA tower is 991m tall) and the floor around the 200th floor is around 50m long. Kastro said Killua should've used Zetsu before even getting at the floor, it's likely higher than that.

Impressive, though, that's length, wouldn't it also be just as likely that he could sense Killua, not through the length, but the height of the floor instead? Or can nen sensing not go through physical objects like the floor itself?

That still very well seems to imply that Killua, in particular, due to having such an innate aura, that it suddenly vanishing would be a huge red flag and is overtly noticeable, but would the same apply if a bug or something's aura vanished?
It wouldn't alert them.

You shouldn't waste your time with this argument. This was a 8-A character saying a 9-A character has notable aura.
WOuld they even be able to pick up on something like that in first place?
If they tried, sure.
It's well established that despite everything having Nen, it most certainly isn't equal, would picking up on a rat be harder than picking up Meruem? Something like that. That example is for Killua, it's already mentioned his is far beyond normalcy, what I'm asking is, is there any examples of such a thing actually being utilized where they sense of life force of someone, or something, that doesn't literally reek of it and exude excessive amounts of it? Killua isn't exactly the best example to use.
Not counting Meruem, I know he has this in spades.
Killua was using Ten, aka, keeping his aura controlled inside his body (whereas a non-nen user has their life force pour out of the body in a steady pace). He was not showing off any excessive amount of aura.

Impressive, though, that's length, wouldn't it also be just as likely that he could sense Killua, not through the length, but the height of the floor instead? Or can nen sensing not go through physical objects like the floor itself?
You're stretching the hell out of this argument. It is not a two-dimensional plane, Kastro was on the other end of room, away from the elevator.

He detected Killua as soon as he got on the floor.

It wouldn't alert them. You shouldn't waste your time with this argument. This was a 8-A character saying a 9-A character has notable aura.

Why wouldn't I inquire about information relating to the match lad? Common sense.

If they tried, sure.

Based on what exactly?

Killua was using Ten, aka, keeping his aura controlled inside his body (whereas a non-nen user has their life force pour out of the body in a steady pace). He was not showing off any excessive amount of aura

In that moment, but didn't you just say he didn't opt to do that till it was to late? If so, what was the other dude even talking in regards to "concealing your aura" if Killua had already done so?

You're stretching the hell out of this argument. It is not a two-dimensional plane, Kastro was on the other end of room, away from the elevator.

Could you not be so hostile, the hell's your issue? I haven't even made an argument yet. I'm asking shit so I can make an argument without leaving out Gon's capabilities, or would you prefer I not do that?

Here is Killua dodging a flea coming at him at bullet speeds by sensing despite not knowing where it's coming from.
That's good, but not really good for the Gon argument's, you kind of just gave BB a huge saving grace whether you intended to or not.

Back