• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(0-0-0) Light vs Near (What if….)

What Could Light Yagami have done to beat Near during the final confrontation?

Death Notes ending is often controversial, with many people criticizing it for either Light or Mikami being out of character, Near having to much plot Armor, or some other reasons. Well lets discuss if it would be realistically possible for Light to come out of the ending alive.

This scenario will take place at the Yellow Box Warehouse. With all characters and people that were present in the original story being there.

This is right after Mikami just wrote down the names of all the Task Force and SPK Members, but nobody has died. Light instead of freaking out like a maniac attempts to stay calm and come up with a backup plan.

Everyone is in character.

Light has the Death Note scrap hidden in his watch.

Light wins if he somehow kills everyone in the Warehouse who knows about the Death Note, and takes the Deathnote back.

Near wins if, Light dies, loses his memories, or something otherwise happens that will prevent Light from every being Kira again.

If this is to unfair Light is given 1 week of prep time before the final confrontation.

If this thread isn't appropriate fpr Verus Threads, I will try to have it move to Fun and Games.

I am Kira....:

NO! You're just a murderer, Light Yagami!:

Ryuk gets bored and kills everyone(Incon):

Last edited:
The prep time makes it much more feasible for Light to win compared to the immediate scenario. The key would be using that week to create layers of backup plans and controlled conditions. Without prep-time Light's chances are very low (<10%) due to being outnumbered and outgunned. With prep-time Light's chances increase significantly (40-50%) if he uses the time wisely to create multiple contingencies and traps.

Well, to be fair, if you read either the anime or manga's ending, you can clearly see that Near and the SPK were in no rush to immediately detain and kill Light. Near was even happy to explain how the SPK discovered Mikami's real notebook and swapped it out for a fake.It could be possible for Light to use the remaining amount of time or the fact that the Task Force and SPK think he has lost to escape, possibly formulating a plan such as writing down their names using the note scrap he has in his watch while being transported to prison.

I probably won't give the Light prep time unless someone can prove to me Near, The Kira Taskforce, and SPK outright stomp without it.

Well, to be fair, if you read either the anime or manga's ending, you can clearly see that Near and the SPK were in no rush to immediately detain and kill Light. Near was even happy to explain how the SPK discovered Mikami's real notebook and swapped it out for a fake.It could be possible for Light to use the remaining amount of time or the fact that the Task Force and SPK think he has lost to escape, possibly formulating a plan such as writing down their names using the note scrap he has in his watch while being transported to prison.

I probably won't give the Light prep time unless someone can prove to me Near, The Kira Taskforce, and SPK outright stomp without it.
Damnnnnnnn I completely overlooked how much time he spends explaining his victory, which drastically changes Light's opportunities. Then the main challenge would just be writing quickly enough once he starts, but he'd likely have enough time during Near's explanation to plan the exact order of priority targets. The only issue is whether or not Light can keep his cool or not.

Back