• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yet Another Possible 4-A Feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had the guess PoS's statement might be continent level but I'm unsure how strong that type of feat is

Js250476 said:
If I had the guess PoS's statement might be continent level but I'm unsure how strong that type of feat is
He said he'd "Extinguish the Light from the world." Extinguish, as in destroy. If we include objects in the night sky then it could be galaxy level (there are galaxies in the night sky)

@Light

It can't be entered. Only closed. The Tantabus can enter reality because that is explicitly part of the powerset it's leeching off of.

Look at any scene in the episode where Luna enters dreams. Her physical body remains in place, but she projects version of herself into other ponies' minds. The Tantabus is a magical entity that already exists, but has no physical presence. That is what it's trying to achieve. Watch the final scene of the episode. Everytging is pretty directly explained. You're not going to get anything by trying to piece together incomplete information.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
@Light

It can't be entered. Only closed.

The Tantabus can enter reality because that is explicitly part of the powerset it's leeching off of.
Could you elaborate?

Yes, but doesn't it have to physically pass through the rip in order to achieve physical form?

-Off Topic- Ok that gives off some serious Bill Cipher vibes.

As in, the rip is not a literal portal. It's the Tantabus tearing its way into reality, but nothing actually real had been done, at that point. It was just tearing up the dreams, and dream versions of Ponyville's citizens could still fix the damage. The Tantabus was still busy feeding on Luna's guilt, which was suggested to be the entire reason it was messing with everyone else, in the first place. To make her feel more guilty, so it could keep growing stronger.

As in, the rip is not a literal portal. It's the Tantabus tearing its way into reality, but nothing actually real had been done, at that point. It was just tearing up the dreams, and dream versions of Ponyville's citizens could still fix the damage. The Tantabus was still busy feeding on Luna's guilt, which was suggested to be the entire reason it was messing with everyone else, in the first place. To make her feel more guilty, so it could keep growing stronger.
I don't see how tearing open reality would make it real. Do you mean by becoming strong enough to destroy the dreamscape? Thus entering the real world?

I mean as in the majority of what the Tantabus does is revealed to be specifically in order to guilt trip Luna. "Tearing its way into reality" is just to represent it making itself substantial. Again, it already "exists" when the episode starts, but it has no substantial form. It's basically pure magic.

I mean as in the majority of what the Tantabus does is revealed to be specifically in order to guilt trip Luna. "Tearing its way into reality" is just to represent it making itself substantial. Again, it already "exists" when the episode starts, but it has no substantial form. It's basically pure magic.
Yet the entire final battle against it focused on sealing the rips it caused, and keeping it from passing through them. I don't think the rips are representive of anything (I am under the assumption that you assume the rips are representing an idea)
Also, I fully agree that the Tanatabus is not a dream creature. I simply say "Become real" for convenience.

I say they represent it becoming real and not literally passing through because nothing else can pass through. Dream ponies can fix these rips, but nothing except the Tantabus can go through them, because everything else is a dream. It's essentially just the dream fixing itself and consciously fighting back against the Tantabus, though even that is likely just part of the Tantabus' intent, going by dialogue in the climax.

I say they represent it becoming real and not literally passing through because nothing else can pass through. Dream ponies can fix these rips, but nothing except the Tantabus can go through them, because everything else is a dream. It's essentially just the dream fixing itself and consciously fighting back against the Tantabus, though even that is likely just part of the Tantabus' intent, going by dialogue in the climax.
And I repeat myself: the entire plot of the final battle was keeping the Tanatabus out of the rips. It can't be an representation, when the entire plot point was to keep it out.

So far all we know is that the Tanatabus would become physical by entering a rip/portal it created. That is the only method we know it uses. If we want to argue against it, then we have to find a suitable alternative to what was shown.

Lightbuster30 said:
And I repeat myself: the entire plot of the final battle was keeping the Tanatabus out of the rips. It can't be an representation, when the entire plot point was to keep it out.

So far all we know is that the Tanatabus would become physical by entering a rip/portal it created. That is the only method we know it uses. If you want to argue against it, then it is up to you to find a suitable alternative to what was shown.
Except, as I've stated multiple times, they couldn't keep it out. The Tantabus was gaming them to feed on Luna. That also isn't at all how representation works. You can't say "it can't be a representation" when literally everything in the dream world that isn't the Tantabus is merely just that.

I'm genuinely not sure you fully understand the "twist" at the end of the episode. The dreams themselves had nothing to do with the Tantabus' power increase. It was feeding on Luna's guilt every night, eventually becoming strong enough to separate itself from her. It then started giving other ponies nightmares, which made Luna even more guilty, and the Tantabus even stronger. When she thought it was on the verge of breaking into the real world, she became grief-stricken, realizing it was all her fault, and empowering it even more. This is how it gains its power. It does not need to leave through a literal portal once becoming strong enough, because it is not a flesh and blood being. It is made of magic, which is the same way Luna enters and leaves dreams. Pay close attention to what it looks like when Luna enters dreams and the "tear" the Tantabus makes when it's about to escape. And said "tear" in motion when it's actually about to leave.

Except, as I've stated multiple times, they couldn't keep it out. The Tantabus was gaming them to feed on Luna. That also isn't at all how representation works. You can't say "it can't be a representation" when literally everything in the dream world that isn't the Tantabus is merely just that.

I'm genuinely not sure you fully understand the "twist" at the end of the episode. The dreams themselves had nothing to do with the Tantabus' power increase. It was feeding on Luna's guilt every night, eventually becoming strong enough to separate itself from her. It then started giving other ponies nightmares, which made Luna even more guilty, and the Tantabus even stronger. When she thought it was on the verge of breaking into the real world, she became grief-stricken, realizing it was all her fault, and empowering it even more. This is how it gains its power. It does not need to leave through a literal portal once becoming strong enough, because it is not a flesh and blood being. It is made of magic, which is the same way Luna enters and leaves dreams. Pay close attention to what it looks like when Luna enters dreams and the "tear" the Tantabus makes when it's about to escape.

So the wait? Luna enters dreams by becoming magic? Forgive me if I misinterpreted the bolded. Yes but then how would it escape? Luna links her minds to the ponies. When she wants out of a dream, she just breaks the connection, thus returning her consciousness to her body. Are you saying the Tantabus would escape in the same way Luna does? But then who's body would it's consciousness return if that is so?

No, Luna uses magic to experience and affect other ponies' dreams. Her body remains in place, in the real world. The Tantabus, on the other hand, is made of magic, and has no body. However, upon growing powerful enough, it would leave and give itself form. Notice how as it grows stronger, it goes from being a completely formless mass to resembling an alicorn when it's about ready to break free.

No, Luna uses magic to experience and affect other ponies' dreams. Her body remains in place, in the real world. The Tantabus, on the other hand, is made of magic, and has no body. However, upon growing powerful enough, it would leave and give itself form. Notice how as it grows stronger, it goes from being a completely formless mass to resembling an alicorn when it's about ready to break free.
Well when you put it like that.

What about the PoS "extinguishing" the light in the world?

I don't know how to quantify that since I don't know what they mean by "world" and how long the process would take.
Usually when they say "world" they refer to universe. Almost 90% of the time they use world in place of universe. Even then we can still assume he refers to the Sun, and potentially any source of light in proximity of the planet.

Assuming they meant "universe", I'd need an actual timeframe, as well as the level of decrease in luminosity. It'd still be within Tier 4, though.

Assuming they meant "universe", I'd need an actual timeframe, as well as the level of decrease in luminosity. It'd still be within Tier 4, though.
High into tier 4. We could make an assumption, like say....a year to really lowball things?

I don't think Luminosity would decrease. He said he would extinguish the light. Decreasing luminosity, and snuffing out the source are different feats.

I agree with Azathoth, and am fine with closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back