• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yamcha 5-B Downgrade

DivineAura44

He/Him
Sorry I gotta do you like this my boy 😢.
Yamcha is 5-B for Gero thinking he was Goku. The reasoning makes sense but not for this tier. Goku was only Low 5-B at the time of the Saiyan Saga which is when Gero got his last reading. Why is he rated 5-B? Well Goku was 5-B when in Kaioken x3 and x4 and so I guess that's where the mixup comes from. He should only scale to Base Goku though as Gero most likely thought confused him for the strength of Base Goku (I don't see why he'd think otherwise, the "Goku" in front of him clearly isn't transformed.).

TL;DR: Yamcha gets his 5-B Key downgraded to Low 5-B.

Pretty sure Gero could consider him getting stronger than he was in Saiyan saga as he would have detected how strong Vegeta was at the time and he didn't seem to expect/consider Vegeta to be stronger than Goku. So it's most likely he either did manage to get readings on a Kaioken Goku or Yamcha is legit stronger than Saiyan saga Vegeta.

Personally, I still think 5-B is uncontroversial.

Pretty sure Gero could consider him getting stronger than he was in Saiyan saga as he would have detected how strong Vegeta was at the time and he didn't seem to expect/consider Vegeta to be stronger than Goku. So it's most likely he either did manage to get readings on a Kaioken Goku or Yamcha is legit stronger than Saiyan saga Vegeta.

Personally, I still think 5-B is uncontroversial.
Yes, he did get readings on Kaioken Goku, that only goes to supplement my argument though. Goku was Z strength in base, Vegeta was Y strength. Gero knows Z however can use Kaioken x4 to get 4Z strength which is above Y. So Gero assumes Z = Yamcha and Z's just not transformed, little does he know Yamcha can't transform at all. I think the most accurate rating for Low 5-B but Low 5-B, possibly 5-B makes sense.

Last edited:
That tells me Yamcha is like legitimately stronger than Vegeta or Kaioken x4 Goku were back then, they took into account that Goku has an abnormal growth rate and that he logically should be a lot stronger. But even with those taken into account, they still thought Yamcha was Goku. Plus, the reason scenes like that exist is that Toriyama legit wanted to show that even the underdogs are still getting stronger.

Note, while the anime versions should still be ignored, it is consistent with how the Toei version of Yamcha was more than a match for Recoome and Guldo. But either way, I still think a solid 5-B rating seems legit with this new scan being added to profile.

I disagree with removing Yamcha's 5-B tier. Gero was following Goku and studying his growth for more than 5 years after the Saiyan Saga and knowing his last record was when he checked KK4 Goku with a PL of 32,000 , Yamcha definitely surpassed that if he thought that even after all the years Goku trained, Yamcha's power caused Gero to deduce he's Goku

Also, a comment was also made after Trunks left that anyone weaker than Frieza shouldn't even go face them. Even if they were talking about 1st form Frieza, that would make them High 5-A+

I disagree with removing Yamcha's 5-B tier. Gero was following Goku and studying his growth for more than 5 years after the Saiyan Saga and knowing his last record was when he checked KK4 Goku with a PL of 32,000 , Yamcha definitely surpassed that if he thought that even after all the years Goku trained, Yamcha's power caused Gero to deduce he's Goku

Also, a comment was also made after Trunks left that anyone weaker than Frieza shouldn't even go face them. Even if they were talking about 1st form Frieza, that would make them High 5-A+
1. First part is supporting evidence, strong but supporting evidence.
2. Then he should be High 5-A+ not 5-B but Yamcha going despite Trunks tell him not to it's as strong of evidence and c'mon Gilad I know your smart enough to know that.

Why is this wiki so obsessed with keeping stats how they are 🗿

1. First part is supporting evidence, strong but supporting evidence.
The feat is that Yamcha's power when Gero registered it was so strong he mistook it for Goku's power
2. Then he should be High 5-A+ not 5-B but Yamcha going despite Trunks tell him not to it's as strong of evidence and c'mon Gilad I know your smart enough to know that.
I'm fine with High 5-A+ too but that's for another thread

I'm all for changing statistics (and this is certainly not my only change I want to make)

The feat is that Yamcha's power when Gero registered it was so strong he mistook it for Goku's power

I'm fine with High 5-A+ too but that's for another thread

I'm all for changing statistics (and this is certainly not my only change I want to make)
Yes, Goku's base power.

🗿 (W.)

I see no really problem with most of these but I find Null's suggestion the most accurate.

Last edited:
There's no reason why KK Goku wouldn't be considered. Not only Gero saw the entire battle, but he also checked their power during that entire fight and after it, as even Gero said there would be no need to follow Goku to Namek. He also knows Goku defeated Vegeta

So him mistaking Yamcha's power as Goku simply means Yamcha became so strong that even accounting for 5 years of training after the Saiyan Saga, he thought it was Goku based on how high Yamcha's power was

There's no reason why KK Goku wouldn't be considered. Not only Gero saw the entire battle, but he also checked their power during that entire fight and after it, as even Gero said there would be no need to follow Goku to Namek. He also knows Goku defeated Vegeta

So him mistaking Yamcha's power as Goku simply means Yamcha became so strong that even accounting for 5 years of training after the Saiyan Saga, he thought it was Goku based on how high Yamcha's power was
To me, this is blatantly 5-B, but I guess playing it safe is something that exists.

To me, this is blatantly 5-B, but I guess playing it safe is something that exists.
Yes, but there's no reason for it when Gero says directly that he spied on them up to the Saiyan Saga and could've also followed them to Namek. Again Gero also knows about Vegeta being defeated by Goku and he knows Vegeta was also on Earth now and still considered Goku as the main threat

Yes, but there's no reason for it when Gero says directly that he spied on them up to the Saiyan Saga and could've also followed them to Namek. Again Gero also knows about Vegeta being defeated by Goku and he knows Vegeta was also on Earth now and still considered Goku as the main threat

Goku beat Vegeta with Kaio-ken. Not sure how that's relevant here.

Goku beat Vegeta with Kaio-ken. Not sure how that's relevant here.
It's relevant because Gero can sense it. And because he knew Goku trained afterwards for 5 years. Gero could sense Goku's power with the Kaioken and deduced he'd only grow stronger from there based on his growth rate. And if Gero would've fought Goku still didn't surpassed Vegeta, then he'd think Vegeta is the main threat rather than Goku

Gero doesn't seem to have knowledge of the Kaioken, but his robot could sense Goku's power when using it, so he thought that was Goku's power

To be fair Goku jumped from 430 to 8000 in half a year. (7570k per year) So him jumping from supposedly 8k to 18k in 3 years according toi Gero's calc isn't far fetched which is what Yamcha was mistaken for. And that was also surpressed Yamcha since he had no Aura around him.

Sorry I gotta do you like this my boy 😢.
Yamcha is 5-B for Gero thinking he was Goku. The reasoning makes sense but not for this tier. Goku was only Low 5-B at the time of the Saiyan Saga which is when Gero got his last reading. Why is he rated 5-B? Well Goku was 5-B when in Kaioken x3 and x4 and so I guess that's where the mixup comes from. He should only scale to Base Goku though as Gero most likely thought confused him for the strength of Base Goku (I don't see why he'd think otherwise, the "Goku" in front of him clearly isn't transformed.).

TL;DR: Yamcha gets his 5-B Key downgraded to Low 5-B.
I disagree, I'm fine with the tier he takes

Current Tally
Agrees: Me, Null, Eseseso, Damage, MLG, and Random.
Neutral: SirAlex
Disagree: DDM, Gilad, Toby, and NiniAtheist.
(I would have split it by what tier everyone wants but not everyone says it.)

Last edited:
So what is the thread waiting for exactly? More votes? More discussion? It seems most of the arguments have been laid out.
Argument: Yamcha has no feats placing him at 5-B, nor does he scale to a 5-B character.
Counterargument (tell me if I'm misconstruing the argument): Yamcha has multiple statements which would put him at the level of 5-B or higher.

I think keeping it at 5B is the most accurate for now honestly maybe even 5A with more evidence.

Gero in that scan is essentially telling them that He highballed what Goku should be capable of after 5 years.

Assuming his high ball wouldn't at least consider how stronger Vegeta, an actual past opponent who survived and Goku would likely train for, would make Gero look stupid.

And we know he isn't considering how strong he ended up making 17, 18, and even 19. His only shortcoming was predicting Super Saiyan and even then he made 17 and 18 more powerful then something outside of his ability to predict.

For Gero to say he's assuming Goku got immensely stronger and for him to not even be 3x stronger in 5 years would make Gero look so incompetent considering how much stronger Goku got 1 year after his Raditz fight.

Gero didn't even seem surprised when the real Base Goku appeared.

Last edited:
I think keeping it at 5B is the most accurate for now honestly maybe even 5A with more evidence.

Gero in that scan is essentially telling them that He highballed what Goku should be capable of after 5 years.

Assuming his high ball wouldn't at least consider how stronger Vegeta, an actual past opponent who survived and Goku would likely train for, would make Gero look stupid.

And we know he isn't considering how strong he ended up making 17, 18, and even 19. His only shortcoming was predicting Super Saiyan and even then he made 17 and 18 more powerful then something outside of his ability to predict.

For Gero to say he's assuming Goku got immensely stronger and for him to not even be 3x stronger in 5 years would make Gero look so incompetent considering how much stronger Goku got 1 year after his Raditz fight.

Gero didn't even seem surprised when the real Base Goku appeared.
I understand the core of the argument. It's that we should give Yamcha the benefit of the doubt on this with how obvious it should seem. The thing is though this is not actual evidence. This doesn't prove anything. At this very moment, there is 0 actual proof Yamcha is 5-B. That's why I'm advocating for likely, it would cover all bases and leaves nothing to chance.

Last edited:
Back