• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Worm power null resistance addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wokistan

Bioluminescent African American Working At The CIA
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Human Resources
Guys I swear I'll finally get to applying my huge CRT from like a year ago

Endbringers, Alexandria, and Scion should have power null resistance.

Direct Evidence for Endbringers:

Post 2nd trigger Grue engulfs Behemoth in his darkness, can't just disable and steal all his power and Behemoth fights his way out of it.
And just beyond this point, Behemoth, in the flesh. He glowed white, marking the radioactive glow, and Grue’s darkness wreathed him, containing it. The ground beneath Behemoth was tinted gold, vaguely reflective, and geometric shapes were floating in the air, exploding violently when he came in contact with them.

With all of the obstacles he’d faced to this point, he looked less hurt than his younger brother had for his one-on-one fight with Armsmaster. He didn’t limp, or slouch, his limbs were intact, his capabilities undiminished. The tears and rents in his flesh and the gaping wounds here and there didn’t seem to have slowed him down in the slightest.

And with that, he managed to fight his way forward, out of Grue’s darkness, striking out with bolts of lightning. Forcefields went up to protect the defensive line, but only half of them withstood the intensity of the strikes.

Crushed 24.2

Radiation negation is a separate effect
Behemoth was glowing, his gray skin tending more towards white, a stark contrast to his obsidian horns and claws. The heroes were backing off a measure, and Behemoth was taking advantage of the situation to stampede forward, tearing past buildings and barricades.

“Grue!” I shouted. The noise in the distance was getting worse. If Behemoth was continuing the path I’d seen him traveling, he was wading through a series of buildings. Grue didn’t hear me. I raised my voice, waited until the noise died down, “Radiation! Use darkness!”

He did, and we were cloaked in it. I continued navigating, using my bugs this time. Only a small handful ventured forward at a time, checking for fires. I was flying blind, scouting without the ability to see.

Crushed 24.2

Grue engulfs Behemoth once again, yet it's ultimately Scion's blasts that take Behemoth out.
Just seeing it, there was no question of what he was doing. A final act of spite. Turning himself into a bomb.

A stream of darkness poured from one of the helicopters, filling the street Behemoth lay in. For an instant, the Endbringer was almost entirely obscured.

Scion fired one more beam, and the darkness was obliterated, swept away.

The silhouette of the Endbringer flickered, then disintegrated. There was no detonation, no destruction to the landscape. Only the cleansing light.

Interlude 24

Speaking of Scion, every main endbringer has survived attacks from him, with him having nullification tacked on to a lot of stuff he does. Scion's kinda weird though, so this is mostly supplemental.
Leviathan:
Leviathan leaped to his feet, reared around, swung his claws at the air ferociously. Water around him rose, rushed towards Scion, a wave three times as high as Bitch was tall. Three times as tall as I might be if I could stand.

Leviathan lunged up to the side of a half-ruined building, leaped down to a point three-quarters of the way between himself and Scion. His afterimage slammed into the hero.

Leviathan grabbed a car, twisted his entire upper body to toss it in the style of an olympic hammer-throw. The car hurtled through the air, and Scion batted it aside with the back of one hand. The vehicle virtually detonated with the impact, falling into a thousand pieces, each piece glowing with golden-yellow light, disintegrating as they splashed into the water.

Scion raised one hand, and there was a brilliant flash, too bright to look through.

When the spots faded from my vision, I saw that one of the damaged buildings was emanating that same light the pieces of the car had, was toppling, tipping towards Leviathan. Scion, fingertips glowing, started his slow advance as the structure was pulled atop the Endbringer. The ripples of his footsteps erased any disturbance in the water from the building’s collapse

Leviathan heaved himself out of the rubble, turned to run, only for water to rise and freeze solid in one smooth movement, forming a wall as tall as Leviathan was, a hundred feet long. He paused for a fraction of a second, to gauge which way he might go, poise himself to leap over. Scion caught him with another golden-yellow blast before he could follow through.

Extermination 8.5
A cape flung Leviathan. Scion floated to one side to avoid the incoming Endbringer. Leviathan, in response, extended the fins the Simurgh had given him, arresting his forward momentum, and then swam through his own afterimage as it crashed into him, changing direction in mid-air.

He crashed into Scion, his fins tearing through the golden man. Golden mist billowed away as Leviathan found a grip on Scion and continued the assault.

Leviathan was blasted away, heaved into the ground with a force that made everyone present stumble. Scion then retaliated, striking first the cape that had thrown Leviathan, then Leviathan himself.

The Endbringer was clipped, losing a fin on one hand, but he got his feet under him and ran, trailing all of the disintegration fins on and inside the rocky ground beneath him. The mist billowed, Leviathan used it to mask himself from Scion’s view, changing direction the moment he was out of sight.

Venom 29.9

Behemoth:
He held Behemoth in his grip, released the Endbringer to fall two or three hundred feet to the ground, struck his falling foe with a beam of golden light, as if to shove Behemoth into the ground.

Behemoth’s lightning crackled between them, catching Scion, but the hero didn’t even seem to flinch. He hit Behemoth again, and this time the beam of energy didn’t stop.

Chevalier watched, staring, belatedly thought to count how many seconds had passed.

One, two, three, four…

Behemoth generated a shockwave, but it was muted by the light, suppressed.

…eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve…

Behemoth’s silhouette thrashed as he tried to move out from beneath the shaft of light, but Scion only reoriented the beam, keeping it fixed on his target.

…sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-one…

The light ceased. Behemoth was gone. A plume of dust rose from the earth, at the very limits of their vision.

Scion plunged beneath the ground, heedless of the intervening terrain.

Again, Scion rose from a point beneath the shattered surface of the city.

Again, he held Behemoth in his hands. Thinner than a skeleton, the Endbringer was little more than a stick figure from Chevalier’s vantage point.

Interlude 24

Simurgh:
She raised one wing to shield herself as a beam of golden light speared through the clouds. Feathers glowed orange-gold as they were blasted free, disintegrating into tiny sparks and motes of light as the remains drifted away.

The screaming in his head was louder, Krouse realized. There was a new undercurrent to it, a thread that seemed to point to the sound taking shape, altering subtly in pitch. What had been a single note was now shifting between two.

“It’s the smurf,” Cody breathed.

“The Simurgh,” Jess corrected, her voice small. “What is she doing here? Why is she here?”

Migration 17.1
The Simurgh’s movement was slowed in the wake of the light, and Scion took the opportunity to land one well placed shot. She was driven into the ground like a nail from a nailgun, somewhere Krouse couldn’t see.

Migration 17.2
The Simurgh, moving with a deliberate assurance, began reloading each of the guns. Extraneous pieces of the halo served as battery packs, as ammunition.

Scion passed through the portal behind her. As if in slow motion, I could see her folding herself forward, her wings wrapping around her body. Preparing for the attack that was about to come.

He hit her, and he sent her flying through the crowd. Capes were turned into bloody smears as she collided with them, and the Simurgh was driven to the very far edge of the settlement, to the beaches at the edge of the bay. The countless guns were pulverized.

Venom 29.3

Back to Behemoth, Citrine doesn't seem able to use the full scope of her abilities on the endbringer, despite being able to reduce his attacks all the way down to a survivable level and stop him from redirecting Alexandria's hits. The feats of her working are on her profile and can also be read here (no redirection), here (attack null), and here (attack dampening). However, we should take note of the things she can do to others that she would have no reason not to do if they were possible vs endbringers. She can directly kill people, remove their control over their powers, remove their resistances, disable physical powers and do it real fast. None of these came to pass against Behemoth despite her being shown to be able to actually affect him to some extent, as well as her having more than enough time even if you discount the ward feat, as she said that it never takes more than 20-30 seconds for the more out there effects. As such, the most reasonable conclusion is just that she can't do that.

Now, the Simurgh. Ward spoilers ahead.
Late into Ward, Grue's power has shifted again, and this time it's just straight up nullifying/dead zones. No more power theft, powers just do not work in his areas and cannot be tapped into by people in his areas. He engulfs the Simurgh and the Simurgh doesn't just lose.
Until Grue covered them up, shrouding the Simurgh in darkness.

Last 20.7

Late into Ward, a lot of characters become Titans. The Titans are bad for reality, and as such these cracks start to form. Among many other things, these cracks disable powers. Of these titans, Contessa is the only one to be able to properly control them. She's stuck in a stalemate with the Simurgh. Why not use these against the Simurgh? Well, it seems to somehow just be the worst possible outcome. Directly attacking The Simurgh is seen to somehow end in a Simurgh victory.
She checked again. A path that began with physically attacking the silver woman… ended in the silver woman in control of the remainder of the network, humanity in tatters.

Radiation 18.z
Instead, the optimal path is to do the exact opposite, and hold the cracks back.
The Titan Fortuna reached out to the child Fortuna deep within herself, and spoke with a certainty the child knew well. If they did not win here, now, they would be enslaved.

The child refused to be a slave again. The Titan refused to be a slave for other reasons. But they were able to think and act in concert.

A path. One that most likely ended in a desirable outcome. To investigate too much would leave it on the table long enough for the silver woman to get silver fingerprints on it.

New cracks threatened to spread.

New titans threatened to emerge.

Humans assaulted the Firmament. The center of power, the core of all things Power.

As if sensing the resolution, the silver woman turned and levitated herself away. Ceding the battle, or taking her own initial steps.

Step one: hold the cracks back, until the right moment, the Titan Fortuna and the child Fortuna thought in concert.

Radiation 18.z
I don't think it makes sense to say that the simurgh would somehow just avoid them if they were tried, I think they'd have to not work. The reason I have for this point of view is that one way or another, they managed to get Valkyrie, who has mobility that is superior to the Simurgh at that point in time. Doormaker to hop between universes, a lot of mover capes to get moving, Eidolon to hop between universes, teleport, fly quickly, etc. Whether it's via the cracks just being really fast, or really persistent, or something else entirely, Valkyrie wasn't able to avoid one and she's far better equipped to avoid attacks than The Simurgh. As such, for striking out with the cracks to result in a failstate, the only conclusion would be that the simurgh would not be affected by their weirdness, which includes power null.

Contextual evidence for Endbringers:

This part is an explanation of the various ways that the narrative doesn't really make sense without endbringer null resistance. Ordinarily I wouldn't consider things like this to be strong enough to give abilities and resistances off by themselves, which is why I'm not doing that and also included direct instances. However, even without that, I believe that Parahumans has a better case to be made than most for using this sort of narrative argument. Worm is well regarded for being tightly written in normal person circles, these organizations that are combatting the endbringers are competent and often have special assistance via thinker powers, the Endbringers have been around for years and have killed hundreds of millions of people, and the Endbringers are already established as enough of a threat that everybody can pitch in regardless of alignment and use their abilities in ways they might not normally because humanity can't afford to hold anything back against these threats. As such, I don't think the normal excuses of it being a writing error or someone forgettng about their powers really make much sense. Anyways, let's begin.
  • Post 2nd trigger, Grue can steal powers, which is shown to include physical powers like durability all the same. The Behemoth fight shows that it's definitely possible to get an Endbringer completely engulfed within his power, even without sticking him in a helicopter or using movers. Grue participates in Endbringer fights. If his null worked, then the Endbringers should have been dealt with long ago.
  • Citrine can disable powers and kill people with their own powers. She has a similar case to Grue, but with the additional bonus of marrying into Cauldron via Number Man. With Cauldron being the near omniscent group they are with Doormaker and essentially infinite resources at their disposal, it would make absolutely no sense for them to have just Citrine'd all the Endbringers to death by now through portals, unless this was just simply not an option.
  • Eidolon displays power nullifying abilities, his power gives him "whatever he needs," and he's one of very few people who has actually inflicted legitimate harm to an Endbringer and could theoretically take one out. He's forced them to retreat by himself in the past. Given he's actually a threat to the Endbringers, I think it means something that he never just gets null powers given to him during these fights.
  • The Yangban (China) have nullification waves in their arsenal. They aren't as cooperative as the others, but they still end up fighting Endbringers on their own, in defense of China. As we know from how Endbringer attacks were set up to avoid String Theory, Simurgh isn't sending them out to somewhere where they're in legitimate danger that isn't from Eidolon or Scion. Therefore, their nullification can't be viable against Endbringers.
  • Bonesaw has access to power nullification through a variety of vectors, and late into ward ends up creating a plague that could eliminate every single parahuman, even those with super nonstandard or nonhuman physiologies. By Ward, she's willing to play ball with the others. The possibility of her creating something that could help against the Simurgh is never considered by anybody, including potent Thinkers like Tattletale who were able to get information on Endbringers through their power before, so it doesn't really seem like she can.
  • Foil very early into Worm is considered possibly the next big thing, since her power could theoretically take out an Endbringer. This is very rare and she notes that this puts a lot of pressure on her. Null trumps are nowhere near as rare as the likes of Sting. For this sort of fanfare to come of Foil, especially with her ability being harder to use than a lot of null trumps who don't really need to aim, null trumps must not be considered viable against Endbringers.
All in all, I don't think it makes very much sense for standard null to work very well on Endbringers. Even the higher end ones like Scion and Citrine seem to be imperfect. As such, they should resist power null.

Direct Evidence for Alexandria:
Alexandria is fine to touch and get partially stuck inside Echidna without getting nullified. It ultimately takes Echidna using clones to duplicate herself to completely envelop Alexandria to trap her. Nobody else except for Weld could really risk physically touching Echidna, and most powers don't work on Weld either.
Legend, Eidolon and Alexandria moved into the fray, accompanied by a number of other flying heroes. They were coordinated enough that they had to have planned it out in advance. Alexandria went in first, circling around and then swooping down to strike Echidna across one back leg. She stuck on contact. Through a combination of her own strength and one of Legend’s lasers, she got free before Echidna could turn and envelop her.

Scourge 19.5
Eidolon was pulled in, and clipped the forcefield he’d raised with enough force that he was momentarily stunned. The forcefield and slowing fields disappeared, and Alexandria was caught off guard by the sudden increase in her opponent’s speed.

Caught against its back, she started to tear herself free with the help of one of Legend’s cutting lasers. A spray of vomit forced Legend to abandon his efforts to save his teammates and retreat for his own safety. He cleaned up the clones that the original Echidna was still producing.

A second later, one of the Echidna-doubles leaped on top of the other, sandwiching Alexandria between her and the other Echidna-double.

Scourge 19.5
Echidna roared and threw herself against her temporary prison. Rock and melting ice tumbled away. She began to claw free, until her upper body was exposed. Capes opened with ranged fire, tearing into her forelimbs and limiting her mobility. Alexandria dropped Tattletale and cast off her cape, before flying in and helping to hold Echidna in place.

“Marissa!” Echidna screamed, her voice guttural, voiced from five different mouths. “Mars! It’s too soon! I want to kill them! I want to kill them all! Kill this world! Destroy this universe that did this to me! Not yet, Mars!”

The sun flew forward, melting pavement as it traveled, before it enveloped Echidna, Alexandria and the prison of ice and stone.

It hung there for nearly a minute, deafening with its sizzling and crackling.

The sun flickered and went out. Echidna wasn’t there any more. Only sections of her feet were still in contact with the ground, bones and claws scorched black, crumbling and decaying like any part of her did when disconnected from the core that supplied her with power.

Alexandria was there in the midst of it, panting for breath. Her costume had burned away, and only the metal pieces remained, including helmet, belt and metal underwear, each so hot they were melting and running over her skin.

Scourge 19.7
(Note that the last one definitely would have killed Alexandria if the null worked)

Echidna disables powers on contact, allowing her to absorb capes more easily.
Why didn't the Travelers try having Panacea fix Noelle?

Wildbow: Coil tried it. Touched-based biology alteration vs. touch-based power/ dampening & absorption. That universe didn't work out.

Reddit WOG
Echidna's also noted to be as strong as Leviathan by Tattletale, which her profile reflects. Leviathan is physically strong enough to restrain Alexandria.
Whatever advantage Alexandria had gained, it didn’t last long. Leviathan’s tail snaked up and around the heroine’s neck, catching her. He whipped her into the ground, beside him, up into a wall, then back down. This time, he held her beneath the water, using one claw to help pin her.

Interlude 8.y
This is relevant because it proves an explanation for why Alexandria can stay stuck. Getting engulfed by two things about as strong as Leviathan at once should simply be sufficient to trap her.

Scion, who at this point is very mad and using Path to Victory (meaning it wouldn't make much sense for him to just be ******* around) takes a while to kill Alexandria's body.
He was tearing into Alexandria. Literally. But she doggedly held on, delivering one crushing blow for every pound of flesh Scion ripped from her midsection. He was roaring as he did it, teeth bared, face contorted.

(…)

Scion emerged from the other world, having broken down the barrier we’d set. Fragments of Alexandria’s body tumbled to the ground, more like a statue than flesh. He had to flex his hand and use his power to free it of the left side of her skull.

Speck 30.5
Alexandria's also noteworthy because she's like an Endbringer in that it takes more than an instant for Scion to laser beam them to death.
Nothing short of Alexandria or an Endbringer would stand up to Scion’s sustained laser beam for even a heartbeat, but there was hope that Galvanate would render some people capable of surviving a glancing blow.

Extinction 27.3
Similar situation to the Endbringers she's compared to, I'd say. Stilling works but not as well. Stilling's already the second best null behind Sting's ability to ignore defensive powers, so that's fine.

Alexandria's in the Grue cloud since she's in close combat against Scion.
As much as I could see the distorted contrasting shapes, I could make out the block of Grue’s darkness that Shuffle had teleported into the air above Scion. It sank down, subsuming the golden man.

Grue fired off a laser, spearing into the midst of the cloud of darkness.

No, not Scion’s laser. Legend’s.

If he could use Scion’s laser, I imagined he would have. Legend’s lasers weren’t doing anything substantial, if they were doing anything at all. Scion didn’t falter, and he didn’t act like he was blind. Alexandria had gotten back up and was fighting at close range.

Extinction 27.4

Contextual Evidence for Alexandria:
  • Echidna had post 2T Grue clones, and they weren't all killed before Alexandria showed up. Didn't get used against her, though Echidna isn't a thinker.
  • Taylor doesn't think the Undersiders could deal with Alexandria, and mentions she's not sure if Grue and Imp's powers would work on her. Link here.

Direct Evidence for Scion:
This one's actually already on his page as "Trumps can't copy his abilities" and a power mimicry resist, but it's also a null resist because that trump in question was Grue. Quote's above for the Alexandria resist.

Conclusions:
Endbringers, Alexandria, and Scion should resist power nullification.

Last edited:
**** this posted early

Post 2nd trigger Grue engulfs Behemoth in his darkness, can't just disable and steal all his power and Behemoth fights his way out of it.

Addressing this first bit of evidence, this doesn't seem like good evidence for it because Behemoth throwing lightning is only mentioned after he fights his way out of the darkness.

Addressing this first bit of evidence, this doesn't seem like good evidence for it because Behemoth throwing lightning is only mentioned after he fights his way out of the darkness.
Well even if you were to say that the lightning was disabled, the physicals certainly weren't. I think the other stuff and the bit later where Behemoth is going to blow himself up cover for it anyways.

Have some comments for the other thread, including potential tier upgrade for the top tiers, but I'll leave it till this thread is concluded.

I agree with the CRT, though the contextual evidence is more persuasive for the Endbringers; Grue not using his Trump powers to gain an advantage could be Resistance to Power Mimicry and Power Absorption, Scion at least nullified the effect of their powers, and Citrine had no issue canceling Behemoth's electricity and kinetic redirection with her field, and appears to have just been caught off-guard when Behemoth switched to using fire (or maybe Citrine needs some time to extinguish fires without making her field lethal).
They can put out fires, and Citrine can protect them from lightning strikes so long as they aren't moving around too much. - Crushed 24.1

Behemoth started to rise to his feet, and Alexandria struck. It wasn't a punch with a great deal of wind-up, and she only crossed fifty or sixty feet before driving it home, but the impact was undeniable.

Behemoth absorbed the blow, and redirected it into the ground. He didn't move, as though the blow had never struck home, but the ground around him shattered like the surface of a mirror.

[...]

The ground beneath Behemoth was tinted gold, vaguely reflective [...] Citrine's effect seemed to be maximizing the effects of Alexandria's attacks, because Behemoth wasn't able to channel them into the ground. - Crushed 24.2

Citrine drew a yellow glow around Imp, and the lightning fizzled as it passed the perimeter.

The Endbringer switched to fire, and it passed through. It seemed to halve in intensity, but that was enough. I could hear Imp scream in alarm and fear. -

[...]

Behemoth used fire, instead, targeting Rachel, and Citrine's power dampened the effects. That was her role in this.

It was just a question of whether it would run out prematurely, if the dogs would get far enough. - Crushed 24.4

But there is this statement from Wildbow that might grant general resistance to the cast:
How do you nullify a power in Wormverse? Would any old power nullifier from another universe work, or does it need to be done in a specific way? Similarly, what would it take to duplicate a Wormverse power?

Depends, really. Mantellum was a power nullifier who basically blinded shards. He arguably wouldn't have any effect on a sensory power that wasn't a Worm power. Scion had an adaptive nullifying defense that was just borg shield, basically, auto-tuning against whatever was used against him, and would work against anything to one hundred percent efficacy, after the initial hit.

To nullify a power you'd need to counteract the work of a fine tuned, vast alien processing engine in an inaccessible alternate Earth (they flake off of entities that exist in multiple realities simultaneously, set up shop in an empty world, then block off all access), or break the connection to the host of the powers (interdimensional portal within the host's brain).

So it can be:
Resistance to: Power Nullification (Nullifying the ability for Parahumans to use their powers requires counteracting the work of a fine tuned vast alien processing engine in an alternate Earth made inaccessible to dimensional travel by Entities, or to break the Parahuman's connection to the interdimensional portal within their brain).

Unfortunately the verse equalization stuff just overrides that.

For the smaller amount of verses that have hard and specific power systems, we can say that the mechanics behind the power null are too different from Shard shenanigans to verse equalize. 🙃

But if the precedent is say, Jack Slash's Thinker powers (precognition, instinctive reaction, empathic manipulation, social influences) basically works on every superhuman in versus due to verse equalization, and that opponents with superpowers or magic are automatically assumed to have the equivalent of Shards, then I guess the resistance gets overridden.

Bumping this and saying I agree once more after having fully read Worm.

This also probably should be good to add, since it is minor and most supporters gave their agreement.

I think all that is left is formatting the addition. Maybe something like:

Endbringers:
Resistance to: Power Nullification and Power Mimicry (Endbringers are able to use their powers within Grue's smoke which temporarily steals powers after his second trigger and disables them under Valkyrie. Comparable to the Simurgh who is able to defeat Titan Contessa, and take control over her power-disabling cracks in reality)

Alexandria:
Resistance to: Power Nullification (Retained her powers while being touched by Echidna. Was undamaged by Sundancer's attack while being buried within Echidna)

Scion:
Resistance to: Power Nullification and Power Mimicry (Trumps can't copy his abilities, including those who can steal them like Grue)

Last edited:
If Wokistan has lost interest, would somebody else who knows how to edit properly be willing to apply this?

Thank you. Should we close this thread then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back