• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

“Why isn’t it possible?” (Yor Briar v Doomguy)

Did you... not read my first comment? Where I literally say "she'd easily evade and slam his face in melee" and "She gets shot in the face still, though. Not much she can do about that. "?

I agree he is strong physically. I could see him going hand to hand against a small group of lesser demons. But I don't believe any "lore" exists from him going against the stronger demons, especially many of them at once, without using his weapons.
Then what was your point then?

Also he is described as one of the best marines

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

There is also the fact that a fuckton of marines equiped with high grade weapons were bodied so....

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. Seems your buddies are dead. It's Up To You Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station. As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.
So that pretty much say that doomguy with just a generic gun did far far better than a combat troop with heavy weapons

Arguing skill based off of someone doing something for decades/centuries/millennia is effectively saying "this guy is old, he must be more skilled", which is wrong.

Why you suddenly become so confused all the sudden?
Because describing someone as "frontal" means nothing in English. I assume you meant aggressive or combative based on context, but it's not a proper expression.

There is also the fact that a fuckton of marines equiped
And were those marines as strong and fast as the doomguy? If not, trying to scale skill doesn't really work. I mean, it doesn't work anyways, skill Inst an A<B<C game like raw power can be.

Arguing skill based off of someone doing something for decades/centuries/millennia is effectively saying "this guy is old, he must be more skilled", which is wrong.

Because describing someone as "frontal" means nothing in English. I assume you meant aggressive or combative based on context, but it's not a proper expression.

And were those marines as strong and fast as the doomguy? If not, trying to scale skill doesn't really work. I mean, it doesn't work anyways, skill Inst an A<B<C game like raw power can be.
? The fists are still far weaker than whatever the marines haved that didn't matter, unless you are trying to say that doomguy with fists is better than heavy equipment

? The fists are still far weaker than whatever the marines haved that didn't matter, unless you are trying to say that doomguy with fists is better than heavy equipment
If the doomguy is stronger than those marines, and faster than those marines, he doesn't need greater skill to overcome something they can't.

Again, we have the game, we can see how he fights. Pointing to nebulous lore isn't really relevant if we are given a presentation of what he does, and how.

If the doomguy is stronger than those marines, and faster than those marines, he doesn't need greater skill to overcome something they can't.

Again, we have the game, we can see how he fights. Pointing to nebulous lore isn't really relevant if we are given a presentation of what he does, and how.
xd

1. He is faster and stronger but again he pratically implies that those marines are better equiped against the situation, and doomguy physical advantage is not going to carry him alone
2. It comes from the manual wich is far more reliable than gameplay

Oh also even without that he still would be Doomguy=marine in terms of skill, unless you want to say that doomguy has pratically no skill and only did better because his stregth (wich is kinda meh because most demons are equal in stats to doomguy)

1. He is faster and stronger but again he pratically implies that those marines are better equiped against the situation, and doomguy physical advantage is not going to carry him alone
Why? Why wouldn't it carry him? The Doomguy uses weapons, his fists and sheer rage as tools, not kung-fu and pressure points.
2. It comes from the manual wich is far more reliable than gameplay
The manual doesn't depict him as immensely skilled, no. He's the best marine in the world, but that tells us jack all about skill beyond "well trained military" levels. He has never showed, nor been stated to have, any skill that would put him on the level of Yor.

Holy shit how hard is it for peeps to understand Skill =/= Experience. Damn this thread made me cringe. Since its been all over the place, whats the wincons for both sides. And whats a genuine argument for Doomguy being more skilled.

Why? Why wouldn't it carry him? The Doomguy uses weapons, his fists and sheer rage as tools, not kung-fu and pressure points.

The manual doesn't depict him as immensely skilled, no. He's the best marine in the world, but that tells us jack all about skill beyond "well trained military" levels. He has never showed, nor been stated to have, any skill that would put him on the level of Yor.
Eh no...again

1. At the beggining he only carried a pistol wich is called useless alot of time trough the game, and the pistol is 9-B+ so....
2. Because is a manual? Is only relating the story of doom trough that point.

Oh also skills is not only that, and characters with alot of rage can't be skilled for?

Back