• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why does "No commenting on staff-only threads" have to be a rule?

The title might seem a bit clickbaity, but let me elaborate.

I know nothing about how this site was coded and the complications behind this, but conceptually speaking it doesn't seem like it should be impossible for threads to have a sort of tag or function to them that makes it so that only people with appropriate rank can comment on certain posts. This sort of thing would outright prevent unapproved users from being able to comment even if they wanted to and would keep staff from having to enforce a rule about commenting in the wrong places.

I mean it being called a "staff thread" is self-explanatory enough. You just need permission to speak

Just ask a mod or admin for permission. It's named staff discussion for a reason.
I mean it being called a "staff thread" is self-explanatory enough. You just need permission to speak
I'm not asking about this because I want to comment on a particular thread. I just don't think it should be necessary to have to enforce a rule over something that you can (in theory) just disable. In my opinion, it's akin to banning teamkilling in a video game that already allows you to turn teamkilling off in the first place. It's obviously not 1:1 the same concept but it's similar enough to convey what I'm talking about, I think.

Then I'm not sure what you're really asking for

Then I'm not sure what you're really asking for
An explanation, mostly. Like, does the rule exist because it's not currently viable or possible to implement that sort of feature on the website, or is it just that nobody thought about it? It's not really crucial information for me to have, it's just something I'm curious about.

Technically, the rule is a legacy one. Since it was made when the site still used the Fandom forms when such an option wouldn't be possible.

For the new site, while I don't know the coding very well, you could theoretically do something with user role tags determine if they can actually post in a staff thread or not (sort of how like staff can comment on a closed thread but not normal users). It would cause a different issue however, since then you would have to create another special tag and give all the admins the ability to give someone that tag so they can comment temporarily.

Qawsedf is correct here. Xenforo has the capability to do this, but it would then also completely eliminate a normal user's ability to comment even with permission, so it's not really possible.

Shameless plug but i did make this thread to circumvent that in a way:

Back