• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why Do We Not Allow Profiles for Real World People, But do for Fictional Depictions of Them?

Even fictional depictions are frequently barred due to things such as: merely being cameos, the character they play basically just being themselves irl, being high-profile and/or controversial, etc. This all made it take an eternity for Pro Wrestling profiles to be allowed on this wiki, it's why the verse remains a hot-button issue on this wiki, and it's why many, many pro wrestlers still don't (and will probably never) have profiles on here. Real-world people are barred from having profiles made of them for the same reason.
For some examples of why having profiles of irl people here is a bad idea: having a thread where Trump and Harris fight to the death would probably cause some heated and highly toxic political arguments, having Brandon Lee fight a character who has a gun in their standard equipment would just be really ******* insensitive, and Ben Shapiro reacting to a spite thread where he gets gaped by Sans would bring us a lot of attention of the needless and unwanted variety.

Even fictional depictions are frequently barred due to things such as: merely being cameos, the character they play basically just being themselves irl, being high-profile and/or controversial, etc. This all made it take an eternity for Pro Wrestling profiles to be allowed on this wiki, it's why the verse remains a hot-button issue on this wiki, and it's why many, many pro wrestlers still don't (and will probably never) have profiles on here. Real-world people are barred from having profiles made of them for the same reason.
For some examples of why having profiles of irl people here is a bad idea: having a thread where Trump and Harris fight to the death would probably cause some heated and highly toxic political arguments, having Brandon Lee fight a character who has a gun in their standard equipment would just be really ******* insensitive, and Ben Shapiro reacting to a spite thread where he gets gaped by Sans would bring us a lot of attention of the needless and unwanted variety.
Thanks for replying, but I have some things to ask:
  1. Where exactly do you draw the line between allowing a fictional representation, and banning one? At which point is a representation too close to their real world counterpart?
  2. The examples you gave for how real world people are not allowed are all banned for different reasons than they’re real. Even fictional versions of people like Donald Trump wouldn’t be allowed, the reason they’re banned isn’t because they are real, it’s because they’re controversial for their own reasons. (political, ethical, etc.)
  3. What about historical figures? Is imagining Julius Caesar in a battle really that controversial? I mean, people make alternative history fiction all the time, how is imagining a theoretical battle any different?

Thanks for replying, but I have some things to ask:
  1. Where exactly do you draw the line between allowing a fictional representation, and banning one? At which point is a representation too close to their real world counterpart?
  2. The examples you gave for how real world people are not allowed are all banned for different reasons than they’re real. Even fictional versions of people like Donald Trump wouldn’t be allowed, the reason they’re banned isn’t because they are real, it’s because they’re controversial for their own reasons. (political, ethical, etc.)
  3. What about historical figures? Is imagining Julius Caesar in a battle really that controversial? I mean, people make alternative history fiction all the time, how is imagining a theoretical battle any different?
1. It's decided on a case-by-case basis
2. It's because they're real and controversial. Having characters from what is essentially softcore anime p0rnography such as Monster Musume on this wiki is a bit controversial but they're allowed nonetheless since the controversy really isn't all that serious. Can't quite say the same for including irl controversial people.
3. Irl people are barred no matter what. This is a wiki based on fictional subjects, and the real life pages are simply here to serve as reference (for example, it makes it easier to rate a character for fighting a tiger bare-handed or surviving a nuclear bomb). Including profiles of irl people would be needlessly granular, not of much use, not in line with the purpose of the wiki, and over all would be much more trouble than it's worth. Characters from historical fiction that are based on real people can be permitted, though.

3. Irl people are barred no matter what. This is a wiki based on fictional subjects, and the real life pages are simply here to serve as reference (for example, it makes it easier to rate a character for fighting a tiger bare-handed or surviving a nuclear bomb). Including profiles of irl people would be needlessly granular, not of much use, not in line with the purpose of the wiki, and over all would be much more trouble than it's worth. Characters from historical fiction that are based on real people can be permitted, though.
I'm sorry, but I still don't see why all real-life people are banned, period. Controversial people are understandable, but I fail to see why everyone has to be banned, especially when a lot of people would probably want to debate using real historical people. (there's a reason why Deadliest Warrior is a thing) If there are any other reasons why debating if historical figures could beat the crap out of fictional ones is inherently bad, please tell me.

I'm sorry, but I still don't see why all real-life people are banned, period. Controversial people are understandable, but I fail to see why everyone has to be banned, especially when a lot of people would probably want to debate using real historical people. (there's a reason why Deadliest Warrior is a thing) If there are any other reasons why debating if historical figures could beat the crap out of fictional ones is inherently bad, please tell me.
As I said, including irl people just doesn't fit in a wiki that's all about fiction. There's nothing stopping you from creating a profile for a historical fiction character such as Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of Napoleon Bonaparte, though, so long as it's not deemed a controversial addition.

Back