• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Who is smarter?

Who is smarter between Lala Satalin Deviluke and Gandalf the Grey. On the wiki Lala is genius level intelligence whereas Gandalf is inhumanly high. Genius is on the intelligence page, but inhumanly high is not. So who is smarter?

I'd like to add that the doctor (Doctor who) is listed as super genius, but i always thought him smarter than gandalf. So where does inhumanly high fit in?

The set standard to categorize intelligence is widely misused in this wiki. Usually people put whatever they want.

I don't know enough about the characters to form an opinion, sorry.

The intelligence should likely be revisioned, but given the number of pages in this wiki, the revision is massive and not very likely to happen.

Hmm, well i suppose you have to start somewhere. I don't imagine it would be quick, but once the intelligence page is changed, any new additions of characters or any content revisions will have to adhere to the new standards.

Do you think i should make a new thread in content revision?

New additions would adhere to the new system yes, the problem is changing the old ones. The staff just finished a massive revision on Striking Strength and I don't think anyone is willing to start another, especially since we have no clear solution to it yet.

All things considered, it is likely too late to do any changes to this stat because the changes would have to be implemented case-by-case and would require thinking, it's not an automatic process.

I believe one reason for intelligence to only have suggestions was the fact that there is no completly objective way to compare characters to each other in this regards. Even in real life it is debateable how to measure intelligence and fiction makes it way more difficult. The suggestions for example focus on scientific intelligence and achievements and the criteria for rankings above genius is multitude of subjects a character is good in, ignoring the extent to which the characters are a genius in a single subject. The suggestions are good suggestions, but in the end the intelligence section is just a section in which individual descriptions are necessary and can not be broken down into levels. So forcing a ranking system beyond suggestions would probably not improve the accuracy.

Agreed. Also the current intelligence ranks only take into account the intelligence in research, science and academic fields, not for example intelligence in combat.

That's why personal descriptions for each character is neccessary to give a better understanding of his capabilities.

Well i suppose I'll have to wait to get a specific opinion on the comparison between lala and gandalf.

ScarletFirefly and DontTalk are correct in general.

As for Lala and Gandalf, it is hard to compare. Lala has impossibly high scientific genius, and should probably be rated higher, whereas Gandalf is supposedly far more intelligent than humans, but comes from a fantasy setting, so there is no chance for him to prove it in practice.

Back