• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which Superman(/men) is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does him being a talking orb. The Source's depiction has varied drastically. Grant made it overtly clear what his view was, and this is reflected on his Multiversity map.
The Source’s depiction in DotNG as an orb only contradicts Morrisons cosmology if we hold some author statement by Grant above the boatload of material which contradicts what Grant said. And as far as I’m aware, what was said by Grant in an interview doesn’t matter not only according to your own statements, but also to this site which has a whole page dedicated to establishing that we do not accept author statements which contradict the material.

The Source’s depiction in DotNG as an orb only contradicts Morrisons cosmology if we hold some author statement by Grant above
You literally referenced Grant's statement of the final battle being apocryphal which comes from the same interview. Regardless, the map lists them as the same thing.

How is this person "toxic" according to Ant?
It’s because I disagree with certain interpretations him and a couple others have about DC. Ant has tried to get me topic banned multiple times, all of which failed due to multiple staff disagreement. So his last resort was to essentially forbid other staff from allowing specifically me to comment on that DC revision thread.

Completely irrelevant to this thread, and also a completely inaccurate description.

The Source’s depiction in DotNG as an orb only contradicts Morrisons cosmology if we hold some author statement by Grant above the boatload of material which contradicts what Grant said. And as far as I’m aware, what was said by Grant in an interview doesn’t matter not only according to your own statements, but also to this site which has a whole page dedicated to establishing that we do not accept author statements which contradict the material.
Agree fra

You literally referenced Grant's statement of the final battle being apocryphal which comes from the same interview. Regardless, the map lists them as the same thing.
The Source statements come from IGN, the DotNG statements come from Newsarama. I digress, we already went over that Grant calling Darkseids final battle with Orion apocryphal has nothing to do with The Source.

The map doesn’t list them as the same. And we know this interpretation cannot be true because it doesn’t align with the rest of the evidence. As DotNG, Countdown, Final Crisis, JLA, and Action Comics would all contradict this interpretation.

Even the fundamental character traits of each being contradict them being the same. For example, The Source knows about creation and took part in making it. The Overvoid has no clue what creation is and didn’t create it. Yet somehow we’re supposed to believe they’re the same entity? How does that even make sense?

The map doesn’t list them as the same.
It does, definitively. If you want to claim that's contradictory, fine, but Grant's map absolutely lists them as the same thing. He also clarifies his intent for this being the case in numerous interviews, and it was made blatantly clear in his draft map

And we know this interpretation cannot be true because it doesn’t align with the rest of the evidence. As DotNG, Countdown, Final Crisis, JLA, and Action Comics would all contradict this interpretation.
In Countdown the Monitors were born from seed programming that activated when Alex Luthor tampered with Anti-Monitor's body. In Final Crisis the Monitors were angels made by the Overvoid to interface with the multiverse. In Justice League they were fragments of Mar Novu, the original Monitor. In Dark Crisis they were made by the Presence.

Pointing out that a comic contradicts other comics is not an argument. The map lists them as the same, Grant said four or five times that this was the case.

It does, definitively. If you want to claim that's contradictory, fine, but Grant's map absolutely lists them as the same thing. He also clarifies his intent for this being the case in numerous interviews, and it was made blatantly clear in his draft map
No it doesn’t. The official map simply just list them as existing beyond the Source Wall. Whether they’re the same or not is never specified on the official map itself. Also once again, Grants interview contradictory interview statements don’t matter according to you and VSBW. The map sketch is also irrelevant as it’s just a rough draft for something that was WIP and the words “the Source is the white page” was never written onto the official one.

Pointing out that a comic contradicts other comics is not an argument.
Why would we go with your contradictory interpretation of the map over other interpretations which align with all the evidence and don’t cause any contradiction?

Whether they’re the same or not is never specified on the official map itself
Yes, it is. Every single label on the map hovers directly over or next to what it is referring to. The only thing "The Source" could refer to on the map is the white space.

hewkIo5.png

That rainbow line with "Source Wall" written on it? That's the Source Wall.

That blue circle with "Nil" written on it? That's Nil.

That silvery city with "Heaven" written on it? That's Heaven.

That green blob with "Limbo" written on it? That's Limbo.

That white space with "Overvoid" and "The Source" written on it? That's the Overvoid/The Source

Why would we go with your contradictory interpretation of the map over other interpretations which align with all the evidence and don’t cause any contradiction?
It isn't an interpretation. That's what the map says. The Source is the white page. If you're still confused, we can just ask Grant.

RnPuXNB.png

oWq7Mhz.png

EorboGX.png

Grants interview contradictory interview statements don’t matter according to you and VSBW
Not true at all. Author statements can be used for clarifying what's on the page.

The map lists them as the same. Grant made it abundantly clear that's what he meant, years before Multiversity even came out. He has continued to this day to affirm that this is the case.

It's not an interpretation, and it doesn't matter how badly you want it to be. The map blatantly lists them as the same, and Grant has given four extremely direct statements saying they are the same, and every scan you claim is a "contradiction" predates the Overvoid entirely, and you're using post-hoc rationalization to pretend every time the word "void" is used it must refer to "Monitor-Mind the Overvoid" a character that literally didn't exist in DC at all until Final Crisis.

Yes, it is. Every single label on the map hovers directly over or next to what it is referring to. The only thing "The Source" could refer to on the map is the white space.
Bad argument. Destiny is also on the white space outside the Multiverse but he’s not the white space itself.

It isn't an interpretation. That's what the map says. The Source is the white page. If you're still confused, we can just ask Grant.
The official and finalized version of the map never says verbatim “The Source is the white page.”

Not true at all. Author statements can be used for clarifying what's on the page.
Grants author statements don’t matter according to you. And if they contradict the material they don’t matter according to Vsbattles wiki.

Deagonx - “He can say something about his own work, but what he says isn't necessarily canon. He doesn't have sole authorship over what is printed. This isn't Morrison Comics, it's DC Comics. Not every author who published a DC comic book has the ability to create post-facto canon by airing out their musings in an interview.”

and every scan you claim is a "contradiction" predates the Overvoid entirely, and you're using post-hoc rationalization to pretend every time the word "void" is used it must refer to "Monitor-Mind the Overvoid" a character that literally didn't exist in DC at all until Final Crisis.
None of the stories I referenced predate the Overvoid, as the Overvoid has been a thing since Doom Patrol. It was just never called “Monitor Mind the Overvoid” until Final Crisis. However it very much still existed.

xxjv3td8jb971.jpg

Last edited:
Bad argument. Destiny is also on the white space outside the Multiverse but he’s not the white space itself.

The official and finalized version of the map never says verbatim “The Source is the white page.”
Is the name "Destiny" written on the white space with letters? No. Don't strawman my argument. This isn't about drawings, this is about how the map is labeled.

hewkIo5.png

The official map also doesn't say verbatim "the blue circle is Nil." We are shown that it is Nil because it is literally labeled "Nil." In the exact same way the white space is labelled "The Source" and "The Overvoid"

Your denial of the white space being the Source flies in the face of the basic format of the map, and can thus be easily ignored. Your false equivalence between the written labels on the map and a drawing of Destiny shows you have no real argument. This isn't an interpretation, you're just wrong.

Grants author statements don’t matter according to you.
Not true at all. Author statements can be used for clarifying what's on the page. This is VSBW policy as well.

None of the stories I referenced predate the Overvoid, as the Overvoid has been a thing since Doom Patrol. It was just never called “Monitor Mind the Overvoid” until Final Crisis. However it very much still existed.
No, it didn't, and this is exactly what I mean by "post-hoc rationalization." You take some scan from 1989 out of context because it has the phrase "perfect nothingness" and claim "this has to be the same thing as Monitor-Mind the Overvoid from 2009!" and expect that to be taken seriously. As if your opinion that this scan refers to a character that wasn't introduced until two decades afterwards is somehow noteworthy.

Meanwhile, Grant is telling us up and down that the Source is the Overvoid.

Is the name "Destiny" written on the white space with letters? No. Don't strawman my argument. This isn't about drawings, this is about how the map is labeled.
Ok and? A label can come in the form of a drawing as well. Why can’t the Source having it’s name labeled out on the white space just mean that it exists out there on the white space similar to Destiny?

Not true at all. Author statements can be used for clarifying what's on the page. This is VSBW policy as well.
Sure they can be used for clarifying what has been already been shown, however if they contradict the material then they can’t be used. In your case, these statements from Grant are not further clarifying what’s already shown in the material, they’re contradicting it.

Vsbattles wiki site rules - “Author statements will only be accepted when they clarify what has been shown or implied in the series itself, and will be rejected when they contradict what has been shown to the audience.”

No, it didn't, and this is exactly what I mean by "post-hoc rationalization." You take some scan from 1989 out of context because it has the phrase "perfect nothingness" and claim "this has to be the same thing as Monitor-Mind the Overvoid from 2009!" and expect that to be taken seriously.
The Overvoid represents the Void of perfect nothingness that the universe was created in. Unless you think the Overvoid isn’t the perfect nothingness then arguing about whether this is referring to the Overvoid or not is moot.

A label can come in the form of a drawing as well. Why can’t the Source having it’s name labeled out on the white space just mean that it exists out there on the white space similar to Destiny?
You're comparing two completely different things. I don't care about drawings. The names on the map are overt and clear. The white space is the Source according to the map.

Your theory, if you can even call it that, breaks the clear pattern the map follows. There's no reason to view it that way except your desperate desire to avoid this fact.

In your case, these statements from Grant are not further clarifying what’s already shown in the material, they’re contradicting it.
No, they're not. The map alone makes this obvious.

The Overvoid represents the Void of perfect nothingness that the universe was created in. Unless you think the Overvoid isn’t the perfect nothingness then arguing about whether this is referring to the Overvoid or not is moot.
The Overvoid has not been called "perfect nothingness" ever.

You're comparing two completely different things. I don't care about drawings.
Saying “I don’t care” is not an argument. So I will ask you again, why can’t the Source having it’s name labeled out on the white space just mean that it exists out there on the white space similar to Destiny?

No, they're not. The map alone makes this obvious.
As I’ve already listed, DotNG, Countdown, Final Crisis, JLA, Action Comics, Multiversity, etc, all contradict Grants statements about The Source and the Overvoid being the same. Meaning by Vsbattles wiki standards the statement will be disregarded.

The Overvoid has not been called "perfect nothingness" ever.
Lol you actually doubled down. The Overvoid has been shown to represent the void of immaculate perfection that reality exists inside of on multiple occasions. Meaning the idea which the Overvoid represents does indeed go back to Doom Patrol.

Last edited:
So I will ask you again, why can’t the Source having it’s name labeled out on the white space just mean that it exists out there on the white space similar to Destiny?
The rest of my comment already addressed this.

all contradict Grants statements about The Source and the Overvoid being the same.
No, they don't. None of them mention the Overvoid, it hadn't existed yet.

Meaning the idea which the Overvoid represents does indeed go back to Doom Patrol.
None of your scans describe the Overvoid as "perfect nothingness."

Do you have any actual evidence or just your assumptions?

The rest of my comment already addressed this.
The rest of your comment does not address my point. There’s nothing that says the everything labeled on the white space has to be the white space. If that was the case, then Destiny would also be the Overvoid.

No, they don't. None of them mention the Overvoid, it hadn't existed yet.

None of your scans describe the Overvoid as "perfect nothingness."

Do you have any actual evidence or just your assumptions?
Whether they specifically use the word “Overvoid” or say verbatim “perfect nothingness” is irrelevant to my argument. In Final Crisis, reality is treated as a flaw inside an immaculate perfection and Void. Which aligns with the Doom Patrol scan that talks about how reality was a stain created in perfect nothingness. Meaning the idea which the Overvoid represented already existed in DC’s cosmology since Doom Patrol.

There’s nothing that says the everything labeled on the white space has to be the white space. If that was the case, then Destiny would also be the Overvoid.
Nothing on the map labels the white space "Destiny." The white space has two labels, "The Source" and "The Overvoid." Every other label on the map names the location the label is on. You've provided no reason to make a special exception for the Source aside from your personal desire for that to not be true.

The "labels" that I am referring to are not drawings of beings, they are the written names that are assigned to the various locations.

hewkIo5.png

The fact that something this simple needs to be explained to you with such tedious detail because you are hell-bent on pretending Destiny being drawn above the map is somehow comparable to written names on every location on the map is a prime example of bad faith stonewalling. The difference between the two is obvious, you're only arguing this because you have no other leg to stand on.

Which aligns with the Doom Patrol scan that talks about how reality was a stain created in perfect nothingness.
Your theory that these are the same things is simply that. A theory.

Last edited:
You've provided no reason to make a special exception for the Source aside from your personal desire for that to not be true.
Yes I have. Destiny being drawn up there, plus the entire boatload of problems and contradictions that would come from trying to interpret the Source and the Overvoid as the same entity.

Your theory that these are the same things is simply that. A theory.
It’s not a theory. The Overvoid literally represents the immaculate perfection and void/nothingness that reality was created inside of. Literally everyone knows this except for you.

Guys, guys. You ain't convincing each other, that's clear. Simply agree to disagree.
I wish it was this simple.

Destiny being drawn up there, plus the entire boatload of problems and contradictions that would come from trying to interpret the Source and the Overvoid as the same entity.
Destiny's drawing has literally no bearing on the naming format of the map, and you disliking it means nothing. It's what the map says.
It’s not a theory. The Overvoid literally represents the immaculate perfection and void/nothingness that reality was created inside of.
You putting slashes between different words doesn't make them identical. "Immaculate perfection" and "perfect nothingness" don't mean the same thing just because you want them to.

And even if they did have this single description in common, that would not make them the same thing.

Destiny's drawing has literally no bearing on the naming format of the map, and you disliking it means nothing. It's what the map says.
When did I say that I “dislike it”? I said there was a boatload of problems and contradictions that would come with asserting the Source as the Overvoid. Some of which I already listed.

"Immaculate perfection" and "perfect nothingness" don't mean the same thing just because you want them to.

And even if they did have this single description in common, that would not make them the same thing.
I said perfection = perfect and Void = nothingness. Also lol at the idea that the universe was like a stain created in two different perfect voids in DC’s cosmology. Do you honestly see how ridiculous you sound right now?

I said there was a boatload of problems and contradictions that would come with asserting the Source as the Overvoid.
Take it up with Grant Morrison. He's the one that made it canon. If the blue orb is Nil, the white page is the Source.

Not like we needed to piece it together regardless. Grant only blatantly told us it was.

Do you honestly see how ridiculous you sound right now?
You just spent the past few days arguing that a drawing of Destiny should be considered the same in principle as the 20+ written names all over the map.

And more importantly, your personal sense of incredulity is none an argument. Your theory that the Overvoid is being referenced 20 years before its creation because a character mentioned "perfect nothingness" in the 80s, likewise, is unsupported, and wouldn't change what the map clearly says and what Grant clearly said numerous times.

Why is Red Jack's words being taken seriously? The dude was crazy. We are left to wonder if the guy is even telling the truth. Also, both of you need to chill.

Take it up with Grant Morrison. He's the one that made it canon. If the blue orb is Nil, the white page is the Source.
The white space is clearly an exception to the rest of the map, as the the Source and the Overvoid being the same entity doesn’t align with the rest of the evidence presented throughout the material within Morrison’s cosmology.

Your theory that the Overvoid is being referenced 20 years before its creation because a character mentioned "perfect nothingness" in the 80s, likewise, is unsupported, and wouldn't change what the map clearly says and what Grant clearly said numerous times.
Once again it’s not because the scan just says “perfect nothingness” it’s because the scan is talking about the idea that reality was created like a flaw in a perfect void. And the Overvoid represents the perfect void/nothingness reality was created in. Meaning what the Overvoid represents already existed.

The white space is clearly an exception to the rest of the map, as the the Source and the Overvoid being the same entity doesn’t align with the rest of the evidence presented throughout the material within Morrison’s cosmology.
You are manufacturing an ad-hoc exception to the map because what the map actually says is inconvenient to your argument. It is meaningless, even if your claim was true, there's nothing preventing Grant from retconning what an earlier book said. Grant made his intentions clear, and the map demonstrates his intention. The Source is the Overvoid, both are the white space beyond the Source Wall.

Meaning what the Overvoid represents already existed.
In the very best case scenario, where all of your assumptions are accepted, all this would actually mean is that something with a single similar characteristic was described 20 years prior, that was lacking several other important characteristics. Two things across 20 years that have a single thing in common do not make them the same thing.

It is meaningless, even if your claim was true, there's nothing preventing Grant from retconning what an earlier book said.
You realize most of the stories I listed were not earlier books right? Most of the stories I listed come from the events Final Crisis, Multiversity, or some time later.

In the very best case scenario, where all of your assumptions are accepted, all this would actually mean is that something with a single similar characteristic was described 20 years prior, that was lacking several other important characteristics. Two things across 20 years that have a single thing in common do not make them the same thing.
For the 10th time, I’m not arguing about the sharing of characteristics. I don’t know why you’re so adamant on trying to misrepresent what I’m saying. What I’m arguing is that since the idea of there being a perfect nothingness/void which reality was created like a stain inside of existed during the time of Doom Patrol, and the Overvoid represents this idea, that would mean the Overvoid existed since Doom Patrol.

You realize most of the stories I listed were not earlier books right? Most of the stories I listed come from the events Final Crisis, Multiversity, or some time later
In what way does the Source being the Overvoid contradict Final Crisis, Multiversity, or later books?

I’m not arguing about the sharing of characteristics.
You literally are. Your basis for claiming the "perfect nothingness" refers to a character that didn't exist at the time is that the description allegedly overlaps with some of Overvoids characteristics, if we ignore that the descriptions are different and only share surface level commonalities.

In what way does the Source being the Overvoid contradict Final Crisis, Multiversity, or later books?
In many ways. During Final Crisis and Multiversity The Overvoid was established to not have made creation, and to not have understood what it was, which contradicts it being the Source as a core essential part of the Source’s character is that it took part in making creation and understands what it is.

Durinng Countdown, the Monitors would equate the Source with the opposite of the Anti Monitor and meant to balance the universe with him. DotNG would showcase the Source being matched by Soulfire Darkseid. All of these things are impossible if the Source is the Overvoid. And this is all without getting into JLA which describes Maggedon as coming from beyond the Source but not the Void.

You literally are. Your basis for claiming the "perfect nothingness" refers to a character that didn't exist at the time is that the description allegedly overlaps with some of Overvoids characteristics, if we ignore that the descriptions are different and only share surface level commonalities.
I’ve literally said on multiple occasions throughout this thread that my argument was not because the scan just says perfect nothingness.

Me - “Once again it’s not because the scan just says “perfect nothingness” it’s because the scan is talking about the idea that reality was created like a flaw in a perfect void. And the Overvoid represents the perfect void/nothingness reality was created in. Meaning what the Overvoid represents already existed.”

However you ignored this and continued misrepresenting my argument.

In many ways. During Final Crisis and Multiversity The Overvoid was established to not have made creation, and to not have understood what it was, which contradicts it being the Source as a core essential part of the Source’s character is that it took part in making creation and understands what it is.
The Source is not described like that in Final Crisis or Multiversity. So no, your alleged contradictions are based on saying Grant's retcon of the Source is a retcon, which means nothing. We know he retconned older works.

Durinng Countdown, the Monitors would equate the Source with the opposite of the Anti Monitor and meant to balance the universe with him. DotNG would showcase the Source being matched by Soulfire Darkseid. All of these things are impossible if the Source is the Overvoid.
Yes, Countdown and DotNG are apocryphal in many respects. This is not an argument against the map. Grant contradicted the majority of those storylines completely.

However you ignored this and continued misrepresenting my argument.
Your argument is to equate unlike terms based on surface level similarities, and suggest that these similarities must represent an identical character. A stain is not a flaw. And even if Grant wrote something that resembled some small details about the Overvoid, that doesn't mean it was the Overvoid, the same way writing about a flying guy in a cape isn't necessarily Superman, because Superman is also Kryptonian, named Clark Kent, et cetera.

The Source is not described like that in Final Crisis or Multiversity. So no, your alleged contradictions are based on saying Grant's retcon of the Source is a retcon, which means nothing. We know he retconned older works.
All of DotNG and Countdown which are Final Crisis tie ins depict The Source as knowing what creation is and having taken part in making it. Even in the Final Crisis interview statements you used, Morrison equates the Overvoid with “Kirby’s Source.”

Additionally the entire existence of the New Gods and even Takion, which we see in both Final Crisis and Multiversity proves Kirby’s Source was never retconned because if Kirby’s Source was retconned the New Gods wouldn’t even exists.

Yes, Countdown and DotNG are apocryphal in many respects.
Grant only called the final fight between Darkseid and Orion apocryphal.

Your argument is to equate unlike terms based on surface level similarities, and suggest that these similarities must represent an identical character.
I’ve literally said on multiple occasions throughout this thread that my argument was not because the scan just says perfect nothingness.

Me - “Once again it’s not because the scan just says “perfect nothingness” it’s because the scan is talking about the idea that reality was created like a flaw in a perfect void. And the Overvoid represents the perfect void/nothingness reality was created in. Meaning what the Overvoid represents already existed.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back