• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

When The Revision Cries - Episode 3: Banquet of the New Tiering System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovy7

He/Him
Yes, it's finally happening. I wanted this thread to be short, but it ended up much larger than I envisioned it. Special thanks to @Jinsye and @JustANormalPerson01 for helping me.

Anyway, let the curtain open on the third game!

TLDR on the cosmology

Basically, the When They Cry cosmology is split into two sides, the side tossed around by fate and the side that creates fate. The side tossed by fate is represented by Humans, or more specifically the inhabitants of the Human Domain, while the side that creates fate is represented by the gods/The Creators, beings without any forms of restrictions and obtained everything. The beings in the middle are the Witches (or more specifically beings of the Witch Domain) who, while not tosses by fate but instead create and play with it, they do have restrictions on their power.

Witch Domains transcendence over the Human Domain

The Witches look down on the world of Humans as a gameboard from the higher world. Think of a gameboard the same way as a DnD gameboard is for us, they are like a game set up to show worlds of the lower layer as stories. These gameboards are usually portrayed as Kakera/Fragments, pieces of crystal that represent the conceptual form of lower worlds. These Witches are completely freed from the limitations of the Human Domain, having transcended it and being able to “walk” between the Kakera. Even the languages of the Human Domain are limited compared to the words of the higher Domain.

For the Meta Beings (the beings of the higher domain) the Kakera are like books, movies, or video games to them. The Meta Beings can manipulate the worlds inside these Kakera in multiple ways, like how Meta George and Jessica kill inside the gameboard’s story (but for their Meta self is just moving some piece on the board), fast-forwarding their plot, sewing other Kakera together, firing characters from the story, creating or disposing of characters, or outright changing their story.

When Meta Beings choose to appear on the gameboard, they do so as a Piece. A piece is their avatar in the human world, and for the Meta Being is similar to a video game avatar.

The only known ways of reaching into the Witch Domain is by either being led there by a higher being, becoming their Piece or Miko, in this way the higher being guaranteeing your existence in the Witch Domain; or by an internal evolution of the spirit. Otherwise, the Witch Domain is unreachable to Humans.

The former requires a lot of time, as was the case for Rika and Bernkastel. Only after hundreds of years of traveling the Sea of Fragments in Hanyuu’s protection was Rika starting to delimitate from her human self and internally evolve into a higher being, the Witch Bernkastel.

It’s also good to note that if the higher being doesn’t want to give its protection to the human it brings into the Witch Domain, said human would cease to exist, as they didn’t achieve the internal evolution to be able to survive the pressure of the higher domain and its layers (Endevours).

In the case of one getting into the Witch Domain through an independent internal evolution, this road is even rarer. The only known case till now is the one of Beatrice, where she achieved the evolution into a higher being on her own. But Beatrice is a special case, as her Endless Magic grants her endless evolution. But even in the case of this internal evolution, one must get recognition from a higher-order being for their evolution to be completed.

So, this should be enough to show that the Witch Domain qualifies for the new 1-A requirements.

The Witch Domain’s structure and the ascension through the layers

The Witch Domain is akin to an endless ladder, with its layers or “steps” being called Endeavors. The higher on the ladder they go the fewer restrictions they have proportionally, until they lack any restrictions and become a Creator.

The layers of the Witch Domain also have a transcendent factor between them, the lower layer being just a Kakera or books to the higher layer, such as with Beatrice’s Catbox and games being just a Kakera in Bern’s Catbox, or the entirety of the Sea of Kakera in Hanyuu’s Catbox being just a Kakera in Eua’s; the inhabitants of said lower layers being no more than fictional characters to the higher layer beings.

So, the Witch Domain is a 1-A hierarchy of layers, so the tiering of the entire structure should be 1-A+.

Relevant Witch Domain layers for scaling the characters

We do not know what the base layer of the Witch Domain is, so the best option would be to go with the local Sea of Fragments of Beatrice’s Catbox and Meta Room/World as the base layer. While the local Sea is a layer lower than the Meta Room, the difference between them doesn’t seem to be of reality-fiction so we’ll take both as being in the same R>F layer.

Next would be the layer of the GameMaster, which we are directly told to be on a higher existence than anything in the Catbox. This makes sense as the GM is pretty much the God of the Catbox, the one that spins the story and creates or disposes of the characters, with the entire Catbox and even its Meta Beings inhabitants existing only as long as he exists.

Hanyuu’s Catbox is likely on the same level as Beatrice’s (so scales to the above). There are arguments for it being much higher (cause there are a lot of Higurashi entries. . . like, A LOT), but I’m going with this now for simplicity. Eua’s own Catbox is one layer higher, as Hanyuu’s Catbox is a mere Kakera in Eua’s local Sea of Fragments, as shown in the previous section.

The Cathedral of Bernkastel’s Catbox would be on the same level as Eua’s, as it’s inside of a larger Catbox than Beato's, where the games from Beatrice’s Catbox are mere Kakera here. The Witch’s Theater seems to be a higher layer, as the events in the Cathedral are just a play told by Clair (like when Will killed her in the Cathedral, but in the Theater Clair is still alive telling the events of this). The Sea of Fragments to which Lion escaped after fleeing from the Theater should be another layer (due to how the fragments work). Finally, Bernkaster herself would be on an even higher layer than all of this due to being the Gamemaster and everything till now being just a mere gameboard.

There are places in higher layers than these, places like Hell or the Great Court of Heaven, where Dlanor and Will reside normally, but we don’t know how high these places are in the hierarchy.

A TL;DR on this:

Baseline - Beatrice’s Meta World and local Sea of Fragments
1 layer above baseline - The GameMaster of Beatrice’s Catbox and Hanyuu’s Catbox
2 layers above baseline - Eua’s Catbox and the Cathedral of Bernkastel’s Catbox
3 layers above baseline - The Witch’s Theater of Bernkastel’s Catbox
4 layers above baseline - The Sea of Fragments to which Lion escaped to
5 layers er above baseline - Bernkastel as GameMaster of her Catbox
Unknown layers above baseline - Hell and the Great Court of Heaven

Even higher than the Witch Domain

We are told that Featherine reached an even higher world than the Domain of Witches, one from which the entire Witch Domain is a mere gameboard, the same way the Human Domain is to the Witch Domain. Furthermore, it seems that her Study and City of Books seem to also be outside the Witch Domain, very likely being situated in this higher domain.

Based on this, I think that this world that Featherine reached, including her Study and the City of Books, should qualify for High 1-A.

Auau and Creators

All mentions of Featherine being a Creator should be purged from her profile. In Umineko Saku - Last Note, the final Umineko entry we got (excluding the Higurashi Mei colabs), we are directly told that she is not a Creator, just the closest one to it. Featherine chose to not become a Creator because the final restriction is that of identity, so she would have lost herself and disappeared.

Also, I think the Creator key for Maria should also be removed, as it’s all just a “maybe she’ll reach that level someday” thing.

Tier 0 Creators maybe maybe…

As mentioned at the start, Creator or Creators (depending on which translation you chose), are beings that reach complete omnipotence and omniscience and lack any restrictions. By having no restrictions, they also lose even the restriction of their own meaning, and they cease to exist in the conventional sense, JP:

全ての制約を完全に失った存在は、……全てを手にする代わりに、それらの“意味”という制約すら失う。……生死の概念すらなくなり、存在の意味さえもなくなり、……ゼロの域に達する。

あるいは、転落する。墜落する。崩壊する。雲散霧消する。

A being that has completely lost all constraints... loses even the constraints of "meaning" in exchange for gaining everything. ... The concept of life and death disappears, the meaning of existence is lost, ... and it reaches the realm of zero.

Or perhaps, it falls. It crashes. It collapses. It disperses like mist.

In this way, there is nothing beyond them, because whoever reaches this level would disappear. Plurality or being more than one also doesn’t make sense, because the concept of individuality itself is gone on this level. And, finally, the way this level is reached by removing restrictions should not disqualify it, as it follows the stuff laid out in our Omnipotence page if I understood it right.

Conclusion

Human Domain - Remains the same

Witch Domain - Becomes 1-A+. All the characters that scale to different structures in the Witch Domain (such as Beatrice’s and Bern’s Catboxes) would scale to different 1-A level as mentioned previously

Auau’s Study/City of Books - All the characters who have keys for this should have said key become High 1-A

Auau’s True Form - Featherine’s True Form key would become High 1-A, based on the reasoning for her profile

Creators - The Creators are Tier 0, if accepted. Not yet sure if we should bring their page back, but I’m fine either way.

The stuff about adding references to the profiles and P&A revisions would come a bit later.

Last edited:
Agree though some scans do not load in mobile
Thanks for the heads-up! I think it's because these images are from the wiki, so you'll need to remove everything after ".png" in the link to show. I find it weird that they do not work now as they worked in the doc . . . pain

Anyway, I'll try and change the links to imgur.

It may be a dumb question, but why is the "Higher Domain above the witches" High 1-A?

I thought you had to get a new "meta-quality" compared to the hierarchy below, yet, we're explicitly told that it's "just like how the witches looks down on the human domain"

Because if each layer of the witches hierarchy is through R>F, one more R>F, even one who see the whole hierarchy mentioned before as a singular fictional entity, would still act as the same "quality", no ?

Thanks for the heads-up! I think it's because these images are from the wiki, so you'll need to remove everything after ".png" in the link to show. I find it weird that they do not work now as they worked in the doc . . . pain

Anyway, I'll try and change the links to imgur.
I've updated all the links.

It may be a dumb question, but why is the "Higher Domain above the witches" High 1-A?

I thought you had to get a new "meta-quality" compared to the hierarchy below, yet, we're explicitly told that it's "just like how the witches looks down on the human domain"

Because if each layer of the witches hierarchy is through R>F, one more R>F, even one who see the whole hierarchy mentioned before as a singular fictional entity, would still act as the same "quality", no ?
From my understanding, seeing the entire structure and its hierarchy as fiction is High 1-A.

Yeah. Auau's case is not "R>F over the highest realm of the Witch Domain", it is "Outside the Witch Domain (and, as consequence, the ladder/framework of qualitative superiorities it works by) and sees it entirely as fiction such as how 1-A (Witches) see the tiering system below (see humans)". Which follows the definition for High 1-A
Characters or objects who transcend 1-A characters in the same vein that 1-A characters transcend the rest of the system. That is to say: If there is a hierarchy of 1-A layers, each of which operates within the same framework, with the same "algorithm" dictating the difference between them, a High 1-A character would transcend the framework entirely, and instead operate on a different, higher hierarchy, governed by another, likewise higher algorithm. In other words, whereas 1-A is a qualitative superiority, High 1-A represents a "meta"-qualitative superiority.

From my understanding, seeing the entire structure and its hierarchy as fiction is High 1-A.
The worst part is that I would actually be on your side on this, but it seems to be antithetic with the explanation given to reach High 1-A.
Characters or objects who transcend 1-A characters in the same vein that 1-A characters transcend the rest of the system. That is to say: If there is a hierarchy of 1-A layers, each of which operates within the same framework, with the same "algorithm" dictating the difference between them, a High 1-A character would transcend the framework entirely, and instead operate on a different, higher hierarchy, governed by another, likewise higher algorithm.

Neutral on Creator. I want to discuss Maria's statement and this quote on Maria's profile;
Anyone who reaches the Creator would lose their will and become one with him
Agree with everything else but we have to go over CoB more in my opinion.

Agree with 1A+ and Neutral with high 1A because it 's still looks like the same qualitative superiority has the witch domain,so waiting to see what ultima says
Tier 0 is a nope you need much more

Last edited:
As someone who helped this, I agree with 1-A Witch Domain.

However, I'm neutral on all the higher tiers. Aurora being High 1-A isn't the most concrete thing in the world, I think the best argument is the fact that Aurora is referred to as a pillar that holds up the entire world from the outside, which might imply a difference in her hierarchy compared to the rest. But otherwise, most of it can be accomplished by being at the top of the 1-A hierarchy, which would still be Outerverse level+

Maybe something extra is that she sees all of creation as a story that she can rewrite at will?
4fPRUn6.png

"その力は、神羅万象を物語のように俯瞰し、物語のように自在に書き換えて世界の干渉することが出来るというもの。"

"That power of hers could let her overlook all of creation and meddle/interfere with the world akin to that of a story/tale and freely rewrite it"

Maybe something extra is that she sees all of creation as a story that she can rewrite at will?
4fPRUn6.png
Additionally, Featherine's true form sees the difference between the Human Domain and the Witch Domain as something trivial. Imo, that followed with this:
Yeah. Auau's case is not "R>F over the highest realm of the Witch Domain", it is "Outside the Witch Domain (and, as consequence, the ladder/framework of qualitative superiorities it works by) and sees it entirely as fiction such as how 1-A (Witches) see the tiering system below (see humans)". Which follows the definition for High 1-A
Should be enough to warrant High 1-A

Witches see human domain as fiction and they have a completely different framework, Featherine transcends witches in the same way that witches transcend humans, doesn't that mean that her domain has a different framework than witches?
At least that's what these scans make me think because they specifically mention that she not only transcends them, but that the difference between them is the same as between humans and witches. So i dont think its just one more R>F.

Everything up to High 1-A looks fine at a glance

If Featherine transcends a 1-A+ structure on the same way that a baseline 1-A structure transcends the rest of the cosmology, then yes, she is High 1-A

Neutral on Tier 0, but a question: Is there any character that would qualify as a "creator"?

Surprisingly, no one closed the thread and people starting it. I'm just following the flow

Anyway

Neutral on Tier 0, but a question: Is there any character that would qualify as a "creator"?
Unless the profile for The Creator is brought back, no. No one would qualify right now since the mention of Featherine being a Creator would be erased and so will Maria key

Are creators immutable and unchanging?

Also, this is said in the OP:
"By having no restrictions, they also lose even the restriction of their own meaning, and they cease to exist in the conventional sense"

Tier 0 can't just "lose" anything of themselves and can't "cease to exist" either.

Also, this is said in the OP:
"By having no restrictions, they also lose even the restriction of their own meaning, and they cease to exist in the conventional sense"

Tier 0 can't just "lose" anything of themselves and can't "cease to exist" either.
That's just them losing their individuality by shedding all their attributes/restrictions and dissolving into oneness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back