• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Peppersalt43

They/Them
Impostor Mantis : 0
Impostor Caterpillar : 7
They get ejected into The Abyss : 0

10-C versions used
Fight takes place in Nosk's boss room, 5 centimetres apart

Story Below

With many of the greatest warriors of Hallownest having fallen, the bugs that were left desperately required hope. And with desperation comes opportunity. This time, it was a young mantidfly who took this opportunity, setting fake shows and faker beasts to fight. The denizens of the ruined city believed him to be a descendant of the great warrior mantises who at this point were only legends. The mantidfly of course took this opportunity to heart, that is, until someone actually needed his help.

At some point, one of the denizens reported a horrific monster in Deepnest who kidnapped poor young grubs. After a lot of reconsidering, the mantidfly descended into the underground, believing that he could fake his victory against the beast. Soon he was in the dark caverns, looking for exoskeletons that were mostly whole. During his search, he heard a familiar sound, that of a grub. He suddenly realized how much more he could gain if he came out with the grub and he quickly followed the cries, soon finding himself in a large room with a grub in a glass jar sitting in the middle.

Without a second thought, the mantidfly shattered the jar and in that very moment, he had made a mistake. The grub's cries transformed into horrific screams as its razor sharp teeth jutted out of its mouth, its face contorted while legs sprouted from its fat body.

The mimic turned its attention at the creature that freed it before charging at another foolish prey

Last edited:
Is the corruption useful?

The Mantidfly's low-mid regen will probably help it prevent incon from injuries.

Is the corruption useful?

The Mantidfly's low-mid regen will probably help it prevent incon from injuries.
First of all, the corruption is pretty slow and usually not combat applicable unless the fight lasts for long periods of time

The same goes for Mantidfly's regen since he is from the real world (Regen doesn't work that fast here)

First of all, the corruption is pretty slow and usually not combat applicable unless the fight lasts for long periods of time

The same goes for Mantidfly's regen since he is from the real world (Regen doesn't work that fast here)
No, it won't help in the middle of the battle, but it means the Mantidfly can afford to lose atleast a limb, because it will regen later.

No, it won't help in the middle of the battle, but it means the Mantidfly can afford to lose atleast a limb, because it will regen later.
I guess that can work though keep in mind that insects that don't instinctively detach limbs will panic if dismembered and it kinda needs its limbs to fight back

I guess that can work though keep in mind that insects that don't instinctively detach limbs will panic if dismembered and it kinda needs its limbs to fight back
Yes, but it's still an advantage that the Grub doesn't have.
The Mantidfly can also fly, and probably has better range with its legs.

Since the corruption isn't combat-applicable, I think that the Mantidfly should take this most of the time.

Yes, but it's still an advantage that the Grub doesn't have.
The Mantidfly can also fly, and probably has better range with its legs.

Since the corruption isn't combat-applicable, I think that the Mantidfly should take this most of the time.
Alright, thank you! I'll count your vote

Considering the mantisfly was seemingly caught off guard I think the grub mimic takes it

"setting fake shows and faker beasts to fight"

This doesn't seem to help the mantisflies cause either, he dosen't seem to have the combat experience to take on such a creature, especially one that has, as said above, caught him off guard.

Flight wont help the mantisfly here, his legs are relatively frail so hes going to need to get close with those raptorial claws, which could be a huge risk considering how bloodthirsty grub mimics are, who have relatively large jaws and will mindlessly run and attack its enemy the second the jar is broken.

Grub Mimic FRA

Considering the mantisfly was seemingly caught off guard I think the grub mimic takes it
I was going to say something about how this is still a real world bug but then I realized this fight took place in a region in Hallownest and even in a normal condition, basic predatory mimicry still catches prey off-guard

@Roachman40 has given new reasoning. Would you like to check it?
Sorry, I didn't know the grub got a sneak attack. I couldn't be bothered to read the story, and standard battle assumptions say they know what their opponents looks like and the direction they're in.

If the grub gets to surprise attack the mantis, then it will probably do too much damage for the mantis to recover.
So, you can change my vote.

"setting fake shows and faker beasts to fight"
I need to note one last thing about this that I forgot. After some tiresome searching, I have come to a conclusion that there is no predatory mimic insect that chooses to mimic a caterpillar in real life. So even if we're ignoring the story, Mantidflies would still have no combat experience against a grub mimic

Just in case...

Grace is over, I'll be adding this now

End of story

As expected, the grub mimic tore through the mantidfly, leaving nothing in his wake. When he didn't return, many began to speculate his fate. Some believe that he died battling an army of Deepnest's toughest beasts, others believed that he was taken by his kind. None ever figured out that a mere tiny grub was what beaten him. Because he was merely, an impostor

Back