• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

what would destroying a timeline with infinite space and time within it be?

tl;dr what tier does destroying an infinite timeline be I get multiple answers, sometimes i get low 2-C, sometimes 2-A. Not sure what.

One timeline of infinite length and a universe of infinite size would be Low 2-C

For it to be 2-A you would have to destroy infinite timelines of infinite length with universe of infinite size

so a single timeline that extends infinitely and has infinite time along with it is Low 2-C?

this makes no sense...

infinity is still infinity, if someone destroyed infinite DB universe sized timelines we'd write it off as 2-A. but here a timeline that extends infinitely across existence and someone erasing it is Low 2-C?

VS Battles treats some infinities as higher than others.

And why is this on the VS threads board?

I actually brought this up before.

A single infinite universe would be:

1 universe X infinite length X infinite width X infinite depth X infinite time = infinity^4,

while an infinite number of finite universes (e.g. 20 billion light years in all directions) would be:

infinite universes X 20B light years length X 20B light years width X 20B light years depth X infinite time = 20,000,000,000^3 X infinity^2,

and obviously, the first has a larger value despite being only one universe

Problem is that we'd need to try to calculate the "size" of each the infinite universes, and that would just be problematic

Megamangohan said:
VS Battles treats some infinities as higher than others.
And why is this on the VS threads board?
wait wtf....

thought i put this on QAA. sorry

i think it gets a bit confusing because this site's definition of infinity is kinda going against what the word means.

one infinity is the exact same thing as infinite infinities.

in those formulas above, both of them are just infinite. infinity ^4 is the exact same thing as just plain infinity.

@Saitamax Not really. Degrees of infinity and things past infinity do exist. Look up Aleph Null for more info

the most commonly used meaning of the word infinity doesn't accept anything beyond it because any further concepts you try to pile on top of infinity would just circle right back to being encompassed by infinity

for example. an infinite number of infinities can still be accurately described as simply "infinite"

you can find different conclusions on this however. the most well known being Cantor's theorem.

its just not what most people are used to the word meaning. Infinity in general is really confusing to discuss anyways....

They are all infinity of course. But infinity, by its very nature, is not a static concept. And as one infinity keeps growing, so to can other infinities be greater or lesser.

Take for example, the amount of 'moments' in time, seeing as that is somewhat related to the topic on this thread. There are an infinite amount of moments in a second. There are an infinite amount of moments in an hour. There are an infinite amount of moments in a century, and there are an infinite amount of moments in an attosecond.

But the amount of those infinite moments in an hour is going to be a lot more than the amount of infinite moments in an attosecond

techinically all infinities are the same, but it's how and in this case where the infinities are distributed. The point is sure, touching an infinite amount of space within a single universe is massive, but it dosn't mean as much if one is unable to touch other infinite 3/4 (if counting entire timeline of the universes as well)-dimensional universes at the same time (time referring to single instant here)

I think that the difference between low 2-C and 2-A is the dimensional background. Infinite 4-D universes are distributed in a 5-D background and the only way to travel between them is by moving through 5-D space. It's this higher dimensional space that makes each infinity distinguishable from the others rather than one infinity encompassing the others. Two infinities are indistinguishable, but cardinally higher infinities are distinguishable.

EDIT: i think what i said doesn't make sense

@Monarch Laciel You are treating infinite like a number but this isn't the case, infinity is a concept.

The amount of moments in an a second a billion years are the same.Much how rational and irrational numbers are the same kind of infinity but what changes is the density of numbers.

@Megamangohan

"techinically all infinities are the same"

That's not the case, there are different kinds of infinities.

Back