• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What are favorite powers and abilities in fiction?

Doesn't have to be an power list on our wiki

I'm personally a fan of:
  • Cyrokinesis/Temperature Manipulation
  • Telekinesis
  • Super Speed
  • Ghost Physiology
I know this is gonna sound sorta meme-ish (more likely cringe cause it's the sort of thinking that drives people to write fiction that is purely for the sake of powerscaling), but I dream a lot about what is truly possible with limitless power and abilities we usually consider as divine like omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, reality warping, etc, mostly cause of the sheer versatility and ways in which logic can be exploited or broken.

Other than that though (or rather, within that scope), yeah super durability and/or strength (or invincibility), super intelligence if not considering omniscience, and super speed are also very fun to think of, as well as reality warping with breaking the laws of the universe, so that'd definitely include cryokinesis and pyrokinesis, as well as giving life, controlling the life of, and taking life from practically anything in existence, manipulating the building blocks of physics, chemistry, biology, maths, and sciences in general etc, redefining arts and humanities like concepts in visual, textual, auditory, etc arts (media and aspects of culture such as film, literature, music, cuisine, etc), etc etc

We could also explore potential for applications of powers that are not very common like how manipulation of sciences and arts grants potential for pretty much creating a whole new world from scratch with entirely different concepts from our own, or how powers can be either used for helping or harming through various means in both fiction and possibly in the real world if such powers were replicable.

Most imagination-based abilities. Fights based around those are usually very interesting, requiring more creativity and strategy than just hitting harder and allow the writer to his imagination run wild.

The classic "Magic" more specificaly for soft magic systems, the surnatural and the unexplained always fascinated me. That's also why I don't like that much hard magic system, where everything end up with so many classifications, that it eventually lost the mystery/magic in it.

More niche abilities like Thread Manipulation when well exploited, like lastly I've read a series where the protagonist made Paper Manipulation epic.

And finally Time Manipulation aka the coolest thing ever.

Personally, I think Teleportation, Mind Manipulation, Telekinesis, Time Manipulation/Travel, and Plot Manipulation are cool to have

Temperature manipulation in general has always seemed great to me and has more potential than fire or ice, making both complement each other to work, such as absorbing the heat of one until its cells begin to die while heat up oneself body.

Not really my favourite, but I would like for a verse to do logic manipulation well. Most of the time it's rather flavored Law Manip/Math Manip or just "I do x, cause f*uck you". One that actually engages with the laws of logic and explains how changing them has certain effect would be cool.

My favourite would be rule creation abilities, which are typically law manip based. Making a fight into more of a game where you have to sus out how to deal and use the game rules is just usually kinda entertaining.

Not really my favourite, but I would like for a verse to do logic manipulation well. Most of the time it's rather flavored Law Manip/Math Manip or just "I do x, cause f*uck you". One that actually engages with the laws of logic and explains how changing them has certain effect would be cool.

My favourite would be rule creation abilities, which are typically law manip based. Making a fight into more of a game where you have to sus out how to deal and use the game rules is just usually kinda entertaining.
Based, btw Games Rules like DND or Games Rules like Video games?

Based, btw Games Rules like DND or Games Rules like Video games?
Both and more. Also includes things like Shunsui's ability from Bleach or even things like the "Writing equals Power" concept from Owari no Chronicle, as that also encourages the kind of unusual creative thinking for the fight.

Back