• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What Ability is Making Your Hax More Layered?

What? The question makes no sense. You gain layered hax/ability through “scaling chain” in the context of how many times did you bypass/overpower the resistance/potency of said hax. Layers are indeed assumed based on evidence.

Layer in short, is when you refer to layers of potency of said hax/resistance. You don't need ability to make it more “layered”.

Last edited:
Depends on how they add more layers to it. Could be power modification, statistics amplification, or some other amplifying ability.
The characters in question add more energy to their magic, making it unable to be bypassed by resistance/power null that could otherwise cancel out the magic in question. Power modification sounds about right though, thanks.

Power modification is an ability to alter other powers, not strictly necessarily to add "potency +1" to the power. Well, it depends on the context, obviously.
Statistics amplification (as far as I know) is to amp your statistics, speed/durability/stamina…etc. and even then, it's temporary

Power modification is an ability to alter other powers, not strictly necessarily to add "potency +1" to the power. Well, it depends on the context, obviously.
Statistics amplification (as far as I know) is to amp your statistics, speed/durability/stamina…etc. and even then, it's temporary
Okay, so what is it then? It's literally as simple as "hax A doesn't work, so someone uses hax B to amp hax A, now hax A works", that is clear cut layering stemming from an ability.

As far as I know, power modification is able to change the function of ability, like turning superhuman strength into superhuman speed. In your case, you are simply adding potency to be able to overpower something. I don't know, something like “power boost” works here.

I would like to list it like this: (my suggestion, but Damage boost here works too)
Layered Hax A via hax B (Hax B able to give potency via "energy", so Hax A can overpower the resistance".
Topic-off, but is this from a game? Since it sounds like “energy” is game mechanics.

Since it sounds like “energy” is game mechanics.
I got the answer to my question (the ability in question also acts as damage boost as a separate function so I might just go with that) but like

What the **** does this mean? dios mio they still haven't fixed it

You really want to use the word so bad /jokes

No, it was just my impression. Don't worry about it.

Hmm damage boost might apply to actual damaging magic, but if there's other hax like mind control or other non damaging stuff, then maybe dmg boost doesn't apply to those. I used power modification because the example in its page says that it changes the potency of abilities. Also this Ajuka guy (who is the example of power mod) can amp the potency of powers and this power is listed as stat amp (plus stat reduce for doing the opposite) so that's why I suggested these two abilities. As for the energy thing, it could look like this

"Power Modification/Statistics Amplification via Energy Manipulation"

Hmm damage boost might apply to actual damaging magic, but if there's other hax like mind control or other non damaging stuff, then maybe dmg boost doesn't apply to those. I used power modification because the example in its page says that it changes the potency of abilities. Also this Ajuka guy (who is the example of power mod) can amp the potency of powers and this power is listed as stat amp (plus stat reduce for doing the opposite) so that's why I suggested these two abilities. As for the energy thing, it could look like this

"Power Modification/Statistics Amplification via Energy Manipulation"
In this case it's sealing, so I guess power mod works. It's... not entirely clear what the nature of the energy is in this case, so I'll just have to keep that in mind for later.

I mean ya, none of those abilities gives any layers to other hax. It is simply “potency”

Eh don't think so, the point of VSB is to index stuff and not leave a single power or feat out of their profiles for accurate debates
You can index the power without listing it as an ability that is from the Powers and Abilities list by just listing it somewhere in the profile. This also doesn't mean it should be an ability, since there's nothing you can assign it to

The characters in question add more energy to their magic, making it unable to be bypassed by resistance/power null that could otherwise cancel out the magic in question. Power modification sounds about right though, thanks.
Well reading this, it looks like the magic system in the verse is reliant on more energy/mana equal to capable of bypassing low energy characters defensive magic.

So u could say it is reliant on their AP(if it's magic applicable) or energy or mana capacity. Whichever way the magic energy is tiered it is reliant on that, if it's AP then more AP should allow to bypass defensive magic of characters with less AP, if it's some other thing then it will give that.

It isn't any specific power from P&A from what I can see.

Well reading this, it looks like the magic system in the verse is reliant on more energy/mana equal to capable of bypassing low energy characters defensive magic.

So u could say it is reliant on their AP(if it's magic applicable) or energy or mana capacity. Whichever way the magic energy is tiered it is reliant on that, if it's AP then more AP should allow to bypass defensive magic of characters with less AP, if it's some other thing then it will give that.

It isn't any specific power from P&A from what I can see.
It's got nothing to do with AP, I should clarify.

Back