• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Aww ignored im gunna cry. Again.
attachment.gif

Don't know if some of these are a bit off topic but still...

Stat equal matches not being "legal" is still a crime. Decent rules (possibly with the ability to choose between different "rulesets") and some regulations would be all that is needed to make them work as well as, if not better than, speed equal.

Game mechanics rules are WAY too lenient. I get (and agree with) stuff like allowing characters to access their inventory but weird powers that (lore wise) come out of nowhere because gameplay looks like that should not be a thing (the most recent example I found is TotK Link's flurry rush being treated as an insanely massive speed boost because it looks like that in gameplay when in reality he's just massively increasing his reflexes and they made it look like a speed boost in game because it looks cooler)

Cole mcGrath never burned the Beast with his lightning, he affected it and dealt some dmg but he did not burn it so his heat shouldn't scale to nuke values.

One Piece's "there's a drop of blood near them, that means they took damage" method of scaling doesn't work, the characters should need to be able to fight on a relatively equal footing (tank at least 1 hit and somewhat contend phisically) for at least a few panels in order to (at least down)scale, not getting immedialy turned to paste by someone 3 tiers above doesn't count.

On the topic of One Piece, I get why this site rates Katakuri the way it does so you can't really argue against it...but it IS stupid regardeless.

I've seen people treat "this character is more skilled" as "the other's never landing a hit" and it just doesn't work 90% of the times, extreme cases exist but they're rare.

(the most recent example I found is TotK Link's flurry rush being treated as an insanely massive speed boost because it looks like that in gameplay when in reality he's just massively increasing his reflexes and they made it look like a speed boost in game because it looks cooler)
Well, in Breath of the Wild, it's compared to slowing down time, so it's probably a pretty huge difference.

Well, in Breath of the Wild, it's compared to slowing down time, so it's probably a pretty huge difference.
Yes...in the diary he says that he feels like time slows down because he can mega-amp his reflexes but the only indicator that he might actually move that fast is in gameplay and is not backed up by the lore, expecially since his movement IS part of time so everything exept for himself slowing down feels like a shaky interpretation

People clearly using google translate to write incoherent blobs of text. I don't ask for much, I don't care if youre doing multiple spelling mistakes and grammatical errors per sentence. But at least have a grasp on the language. Its bad enough trying to decipher the brain worms in your head, I don't need them to be hunted through google vomit-word-salads-out-and-pass-them-off-as-translations on top of it.

Yes...in the diary he says that he feels like time slows down because he can mega-amp his reflexes but the only indicator that he might actually move that fast is in gameplay and is not backed up by the lore, expecially since his movement IS part of time so everything exept for himself slowing down feels like a shaky interpretation
There's the diary entry, but I'm talking about the archery test Link takes at the flight range during the Vah Medoh quest line.

Teba says that, "It was as if time stopped with every arrow you let fly."

There's the diary entry, but I'm talking about the archery test Link takes at the flight range during the Vah Medoh quest line.

Teba says that, "It was as if time stopped with every arrow you let fly."

The fact that it is Teba saying that already make it questionable since, if your speed-boost was real, from Teba's prospective Link would have just looked like a super-fast blur, meaning the appropriate response would have been along the lines of "you're unnaturally fast with that bow, that's impressive".
In a way, the turbo-reflexes alone are already an unconventional "speed boost" in a sense. What Teba more likely meant is that Link is not actually faster, but he can literally take the arrow, "charge" the bow and shoot as fast as his body allows while still having ample time to aim. He can do it better and faster than anyone else thanks to his reflexes but not faster than what his "unfocused" self would be able to do if he didn't care about precision/coordination.

The fact that it is Teba saying that already make it questionable since, if your speed-boost was real, from Teba's prospective Link would have just looked like a super-fast blur, meaning the appropriate response would have been along the lines of "you're unnaturally fast with that bow, that's impressive".
Saying that it's like time stopped whenever you shoot an arrow is a pretty fun way of saying that Link was really fast (or just a way to describe how Link's abilities work to the player).
In a way, the turbo-reflexes alone are already an unconventional "speed boost" in a sense. What Teba more likely meant is that Link is not actually faster, but he can literally take the arrow, "charge" the bow and shoot as fast as his body allows while still having ample time to aim. He can do it better and faster than anyone else thanks to his reflexes but not faster than what his "unfocused" self would be able to do if he didn't care about precision/coordination.
That interpretation takes a lot more assumptions that going with what the Diary, Teba, and the gameplay shows us.

I'm trying to find the scan, but I'm pretty sure there's an explanation in one of the Breath of the Wild guidebooks (like Creating a Champion) that states that Link slows down time when he focuses, but I'm still looking for it.

I agree with the game mechanics critique. I haven't been here long but some of it is just wanked to insane degrees. "Oh your character can move at 1/25th the speed of this in game lightning using his MACH RUN? Clearly the intent was that he was moving at MHS speeds. Since that's the case we can get kinetic energy for it as well which comes out to 7-B". It makes no sense using in game engine built speeds to scale to other in engine movement because they simply can't simulate that in game. It results in crazy high results that often heavily contradict statements and game cutscenes. The only exception should be when it's a game mechanic to react/dodge/block projectiles like in Sekiro or if there is a cutscene that corroborate this level of speed.

I suppose a pet peeve I recently noticed about the wiki that ticks me off is the reluctance to make sitewide changes solely due to the amount of work required, instead of actual valid reasoning. A change could be genuinely beneficial and better categorize and index statistics (Which apparently is what this wiki is mainly for, not vs battles), but the version we have is considered "Adequate" or "Good Enough" so the idea is thrown out the window in favor of ye' old status quo. It's infuriating to me especially since I'm a perfectionist and want to see everything consistent and as well put together as possible.
If only the Tiering System made more sense. I think the ones in TV Tropes are interesting even though there are a lot less tiers than the one on the VS Battles Wiki, and even though they aren't made for battleboarding.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustForFun/SuperWeight
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlidingScaleOfVillainThreat
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ApocalypseHow
People clearly using google translate to write incoherent blobs of text. I don't ask for much, I don't care if youre doing multiple spelling mistakes and grammatical errors per sentence. But at least have a grasp on the language. Its bad enough trying to decipher the brain worms in your head, I don't need them to be hunted through google vomit-word-salads-out-and-pass-them-off-as-translations on top of it.
This is Regular Show content revision threads in a nutshell!

(about the first 2 replies...this ended up sounding more aggressive than I intended, don't take it the wrong way, it's just easier to make my point understandable if I'm more "direct")
Saying that it's like time stopped whenever you shoot an arrow is a pretty fun way of saying that Link was really fast (or just a way to describe how Link's abilities work to the player).

That interpretation takes a lot more assumptions that going with what the Diary, Teba, and the gameplay shows us.

I'm trying to find the scan, but I'm pretty sure there's an explanation in one of the Breath of the Wild guidebooks (like Creating a Champion) that states that Link slows down time when he focuses, but I'm still looking for it.
It is a way to say that Link impressed him through skill and speed yes, that's what I said, but let's compare assumpitons:
1) Link is surprisingly fast because, by sending his reflexes into turbo-mode (a power he's well esablished to have) he can "skip" the process of aiming and retain surgical precision while moving as fast as his body allows.
2) Fking somehow Link can decide to surpass his own normal fighting speed to an insane degree (Idk if you have a multiplier, I've seen both 100x and 20x, point is...it's fking huge) and move at speeds faster than anything he has shown outside of it because there's half a statement that may be interpreted that way.
In 1 we explain how his mega-reflexes allow him to be "faster" without inventing new powers.
In 2 we say "fk it, he can also do this now. Pay no heed to the fact that the only proof that doesn't also point at option 1 is the same gameplay that would have us believe a 3 meter fall has any chance to harm, or even kill, Link".
Also, if his movements are shown faster, they're faster.
Bullets in One piece are also shown blitzing a stupid amount of fighters, is One Piece slower than bullet now?
Link is also shown weaker than a micro-sized explosion from a barrel, is Link stuck in tier 9 now?
You can't even try to break a wall with a powerful spell by the rules of D&D, obviously this means that even disintegrate doesn't hold a candle to the all-mighty GUN and all the "me shoot gun at dragon, me kill, 1 hit" were right all along.
Sonic's movements in game are shown to not even be close to the speed of sound, is sonic the biggest fraud ever now? (depending on who you ask I guess some may say yes, I'm neutral, I've never played Sonic)
Back to the Future spoilers I guess

In back to the Future 1 the Lightning that powers the DeLorean at the end is shown as slower than Doc'c movements...is Doc MHS? Is the lightning bolt human speed?

Need I go on?
I agree with the game mechanics critique. I haven't been here long but some of it is just wanked to insane degrees. "Oh your character can move at 1/25th the speed of this in game lightning using his MACH RUN? Clearly the intent was that he was moving at MHS speeds. Since that's the case we can get kinetic energy for it as well which comes out to 7-B". It makes no sense using in game engine built speeds to scale to other in engine movement because they simply can't simulate that in game. It results in crazy high results that often heavily contradict statements and game cutscenes. The only exception should be when it's a game mechanic to react/dodge/block projectiles like in Sekiro or if there is a cutscene that corroborate this level of speed.
Well I was referring more to the "powers from nowhere" problem than to the "inflated ratings" problem that dancing around game mechanics can cause (as I haven't looked into that side too much) but it's highly likely that that's a thing too

Back