• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Video Game Characters Regenerating From Low Health

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
What rating of Regenerationn would this give, if any? I've been told by some it would give low-mid since they can regenerate from almost dying, but I've also seen some characters only get mid-low for it.

I don't think we have set standards for VG healing. I guess it depends on how much damage is usually sustained during your usual battles in that game, if any damage is portrayed at all.

For example, Terraria has several cases of the character being described as losing their faces or limbs when at low health, so it would be Low-Mid there. But in Pokémon we don't really know, so Porygon gets Unknown instead.

For the games I'm considering absolutely no damage is shown on the player character's sprites; they just die when they run out of health.

However, one of them does show damage accumulating on sprites of enemies (getting bruises, bandages, etc), just not on the player character. Would this change how Regenerationn is treated?

This is a bit tricky, because in some games where you can't heal without medicine or other methods during normal gameplay, the protagonists actually have feats of healing from stab wounds, gunshot wounds and broken bones in cutscenes or forced events, or in novels.

For example, in Assassin's Creed 2, you can't heal without medicine, but when you fight Rodrigo Borgia, after beating him while he has the Staff on, he blasts Ezio away and telekinetically restrains him after seizing the Apple, and then stabs him through his armor and causing a big hole. After you wake up from the event however, the stab wound is now completely gone and traces of blood have disappeared, without any health loss whatsoever (If you lost any health, it's mostly because of that previous fight with Rodrigo).

Another part is where Spider-Man sustains multiple broken bones in a cutscene after gettign thrashed around by the Sinister Six and later heals them within a matter of seconds but can't actually heal from damage without certain gameplay methods normally.

Is there a baseline for games that have absolutely nothing like that whatsoever?

Full Health in videogames vary, 0 HP means "knocked out" in most videogames, characters do no lost limbs in gameplay, so it wouldn't surpass High-Low in regen; however, sometimes 0 HP means "death" and a character wouldn't be able to recover HP unless a "revive" item or a power of same effect is used.

Tabletop RPG tend to be more specific with that, so the nsture of recovering HP is not an issue.

"Low" Regenerationn is just human-level Regenerationn but in a short amount of time.

While it's difficult to quantify this, and while it varies from game to game, I'd assume that it's like Mid-Low at the very least.

DMB 1 said:
"Low" Regenerationn is just human-level Regenerationn but in a short amount of time.
While it's difficult to quantify this, and while it varies from game to game, I'd assume that it's like Mid-Low at the very least.
What if it's a full-blown stab wound that penetrates organs and pierces the whole body?

That's Low-Mid, I think, though I may be wrong.

As I said, it depends on what type of damage the characters can regenerate.

If 0hp means death, Low-Mid is fine unless we're given something better to work on.

If 0hp means fainting, that's unquantiable.

Ahh, so there's no universal thing to go with?

I'm working on a few profiles that have very barebone information about this. 0 health is death, no injuries are shown, they can regenerate to full, injuries are never mentioned in cutscenes.

I've put this as low-mid for being able to regenerate from near-death, but should I downgrade it to mid-low instead?

Back