• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Viable Feat or Not?

Andytrenom

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Reading chapter 110 of My Hero Academia I found a possible explosion feat depending largely on where some characters were situated during an explosion that took place.

Proxy
This Page shows Gang Orca (Last panel) commenting on the exams, I included this to help determine location of the characters during the feat.

Proxy (2)
Second to last panel, Gang Orca starts to speak about the purpose of the test while facing some kind of wall, his dialogue carries over to the next panel which focuses over what seems to be the other side of the portion of the wall that they were facing. They also don't seem to be planning on moving away from where they are anytime soon, implying that they stayed in this location when the events of the next page occurred.

Proxy (3)
The Explosion occurs as Gang Orca remains in the process of speaking. The portion of the wall shown in this page is clearly the same as shown in the last panel of the previous page. If you look at how the wall was damaged, it is clear that the source of the explosion was on the inside. If the characters were indeed only standing a few feet away from the portion of the wall that is shown in this page when this happened, then they would be inside the radius of the explosion.

Proxy (4)
This page contains everything that happens between the aforementioned explosion and the reveal of Gang Orca.

Proxy (5)
Gang Orca appears in the scene of the explosion. We see that the debris from the explosion is still in the process of falling to the ground. The previous page also didn't indicate any significant passage of time. This means one of the three things:

1. Gang Orca was hiding behind the portion of the wall caught in the explosion.

2. He was far away from the site of the explosion when the explosion occured and only rushed there afterwards at high speed.

3. The portion of the wall he was facing in the second to last panel of the second page I linked was not the same portion as that which was shown in the very next panel, and his actual location was barely far enough away from the source of the explosion that he could walk to the destroyed wall without running at high speed.

I feel that if the last two scenarios were true then It would be very strange for the manga to have not made it clear. Hence why I believe that the first scenario is the most likely.

So what does everyone think, was he in the explosion radius or not?

Pasting what I said on the blog:

I

still believe they did not took anything at all

Like, these guys withstood this like nothing to get casually beated by students

But then the likes of a much durable (via feats) Deku get harmed by smaller explosion from Bakugou?

Also, I can accept Orca (9th rank hero) but it makes 0 sense to send this guys to fight the heroes after the explosion that could harm them.

The only explanation: they were never in danger in the first place, because the explosion wasn't suppose to harm then (See how the blast goes to the opposite direction of where they are)

The calc may be consistent per result, but itself I don't as a usable feat since it's took out of context.

Supporting: Andytrenom, Therefir (Only agreed with me on his blog, but still)

Opposing: AidenBrooks999

@Aiden I count your vote but I nonetheless think that your arguments are flawed.

Them casually getting beaten by students is not a good argument because it assumes that the students being much more powerful than the explosions cannot be true.

Bakugou's explosions being smaller than this one is a very clear example of AoE, His explosions are actually more powerful than this one for harming Deku.

How can you assert that the henchmen having the durability to tank this explosion doesn't make sense, when this is literally the first time we have seen them in battle, and thus have no instance of their durability being portrayed as lower than what is needed here?

A blast is supposed to be omnidirectional and if it wasn't, the manga would have made it clear. The weakest explosion that could this would have it's source placed on the wall, which the henchmen were only a few feet away from and thus would not escape.

I am also opposing this on the grounds that it doesn't make sense in the context of the story and what's actually happening. Gang Orca's whole role is enter through the hole in the wall after explosions taken place signifying the arrival of 'villains'. There is no need for him to stand literally in the epicentre of the explosion with his various subordinates; it makes just as much sense for him to be at a safe distance away and then after the explosions has went off, they just walk towards the hole in the wall and emerge.

EDIT: There's also the matter that even if he was close to the wall at the time of the explosion, it doesn't necessarily mean he was caught in the blast. The blast looks like it exploded outwards like a breaching charge. So I could see it as the wall being blown open while leaving Gang Orca and his men untouched on the other side.

@Damage In the scenario that they were standing behind the portion of the wall, the only way they would not be caught in the explosion is if the blast was not omnidirectional, which is not supported by any proof.

@Damage. Also I would apreciate if you actually try to address my reasonings for believing he was close to the source of the explosion.

Edit: The only actual reason you gave for Gang Orca not being close to the explosion in the first paragraph was 'It would make more sense to try and be far away from an explosion than close to it.' 80% of your argument wasn't even relevant and only served to make the argument longer.

It's true that there are steam behind the wall, so the explosion must be omnidirectional.

AidenBrooks999 said:
But then the likes of a much durable (via feats) Deku get harmed by smaller explosion from Bakugou?
I went over this again and..what exactly are you trying to say? I ask because what i am interpreting does not have logical consistency.

Really should have planned out my schedule better, It appears I have to go my tution now. I will return in about one and a half hour.

Edit: Back now

"It suppose to omnidirectional"

I forgot MHA's writer was a bomb expert (Making "nitroglycerin" explosions be sightly Peak Human in speed). The blast clearly shoot all the power to one side of the wall, while the other is suppose to be little to no affected.

Again, it doesn't matter the strength, explosions in general are portayed as something really powerful in the series, where even someone does tank one, they at least have some marks or something. But these guys came out like if they just "had a walk through the park"? That's because they weren't in danger in the first place.

@AidenBrooks Please fix your grammer, I am not even trying to insult you, I am genuinely having problems understanding what you are saying.

Now?

It's not that hard.

I'm just saying that for the context making this guys to have a bomb on their faces to explode makes no sense. Even for dramatic effect is kind of dumb, but at least with that we can conclude that they weren't suppodsed to get harmed

@AidenBrooks

"The henchmen aren't concerned about being in the explosion because they have sufficient enough durabilty."

Saying that it makes 0 sense for the henchmen to be close to the explosion, requires the above scenario to be proven false. And yes, it has to be proven false because to claim a certain situation does not make sense, also requires you to claim that no possible explainations for the situation occuring exist.

I simply can't accept the fact that these professional would put a bomb in the face of a pro hero for shit and giggles regarless of his durability.

Sorry, but I'll firmly believe that the explosion was just for a good presentation without any risk for the participants until the manga/writer officially clarifies what happened.

I am not trying to accuse you of anything, but that really does look you are arguing from personal opininions instead of refering to anything actually shown in the Manga when you conclude which scenario is true and which isn't.

Because unless the writer tells us, os your Word vs mine.

I say that it doesn't make sense regardless of how superhuman they're to make them take the explosion. Also, like I said, If someone like Bakugou make a explosion like that, it would be threated like of his strongest, but these fodders (according to you) not only tank, they came like of absolutely nothing happened to then to justo be SO easily tale down by a 8% Deku?

Also also, the blast proyecting to the exterior part (At least like 90% of the blast is to the opposite side of where they stand). I mean, rotate the image 90 degrees and imagine the wall is the ground, the explosion would occur and they wouldn't be hurt at lot ot just a little bit

AidenBrooks999 said:
Because unless the writer tells us, os your Word vs mine.
I say that it doesn't make sense regardless of how superhuman they're to make them take the explosion.
You are acting like the scenario of the henchmen being willing to face the explosion is an important prerequisite for my argument.

It is in fact it is only a logical conclusion that would follow from my arguments and saying that this scenario is unlikely doesn't disprove me, because you haven't addressed the likelihood of scenario's that which are the foundation of my arguments.

AidenBrooks999 said:
Also, like I said, If someone like Bakugou make a explosion like that, it would be threated like of his strongest, but these fodders (according to you) not only tank, they came like of absolutely nothing happened to then to justo be SO easily tale down by a 8% Deku?
Following the same logic, if a continent level wind user usually creates tornadoes that are room sized, then a fodder should not be 7-C scaling from a natural tornado of that proportion, Since if the wind user created a tornado of that size, then it would be regarded as one of his strongest attacks.

Edit: I really need to figure out how to properly seperate different arguments in a quote.

@Friendly A particular object not following it's normal behaviour is what requires proof. And you can't assume a particular scene is following a trope just because that trope has been used frequently in fiction.

Andytrenom said:
@Friendly A particular object not following it's normal behaviour is what requires proof. And you can't assume a particular scene is following a trope just because that trope has been used frequently in fiction.
While true, you are ignoring that Boku no Hero already plays fast and loose with explosions, both for Deku and Bakugo among others. That's proof enough that explosions are only going to act however the writer wants.

Also, you have no idea whether the explosion is having that interaction with the characters because they're not given any interaction showings with it. We don't even have them brushing dust off their shoulders or anything else to indicate, "Pfft, that was nothing." You said you found it odd that there was no support for the latter two of your scenarios despite there being practically no support for the first one either.

Finally, the premise of, "Rubble is still fallling" means little when rubble can still be falling for quite some time after the initial explosion. A weakened section of stone might chip off at any given time for example- which I specify because there's literally no timeframe for this nor do you see the guys and the explosion together at all to get a reference.

@Friendly

I am not ignoring that, You are right that the author is willing to be liberal with how he portrays explosion. But you didn't explain how this proves this specific instance of the explosion not following it's normal behaviour.

If he draws it to focus all to one side, it's for something.

Also, like I said, is like if you throw a grenade in the ground, the explosions to both sides and up (In this case, is all directions except for the one where the guys hide

@AidenBrooks I am going to draw a really horrible diagram to show why I don't agree with You on that.

Cave in
Not cave in
If the wall was deflecting part of the explosion away from the henchmen like you say, then that means the wall was inbetween the source of explosion and henchmen. However if that was true then the wall would have caved in towards Gang Orca's direction, but what actually happened was the exact opposite.

So anyway I guess that's 3 In opposition. Not looking good for me here.

And?

That still doesn't mean that they took all the 100% of the explosion, either they took none, or just a little bit.

AidenBrooks999 said:
And?
That still doesn't mean that they took all the 100% of the explosion, either they took none, or just a little bit.
How exactly are those the only two possibilities.

Here are some of my basic premises

1. Gang Orca is standing directly behind the portion of the wall shown in page 2.

2. This portion of the wall, and the portion shown in the next page are one and the same.

3. The epicenter of the explosion was behind the portion of wall in question.

Which one of these exactly do you think is unreasonable to consider over other scenarios and why? (If you need me to explain why I took these scenarios as premises, I will try to do so)

Gang Orca may have been standing behind the wall at one point, but we don't see him at that same point tanking the explosion. He is offscreen when the explosion happens and there isn't enough evidence or reasoning why he would be there in the middle of an explosion.

Considering this isn't a battle, and it's a planned and premeditated event for the Hero Licence exam, they wouldn't put themselves in unnecessary danger like standing near the epicentre of an explosion big enough to blow through a huge wall.

@Damage I think it would make more sense if he wasn't standing behind the wall at any point other than when he appeared in front of the students compared to the scenario you presented.

If he wasn't standing behind the wall during the next two panels, then it would make no sense to include this scene and not also include a scene of him moving away from where he is before the explosion.

Bad panelling by Horikoshi then. He wanted to show Gang Orca was somewhere away from the main action to foreshadow his immiediate arrival but doesn't want to waste panels showing Gang Orca and his men not tanking the explosion.

I think we can just infer that they simply walked through the hole in the wall after the explosion already went off.

@Damage Or, Horikoshi did not want to show Gang Orca being somewhere far away from the explosion and thus did not arrange the panels in a way to accomodate that scenario.

Exactly. Because not everything has to be spelled out for us. He doesn't have to show us Gang Orca and his subordinates retreating in order for us to know that they weren't in the centre of an explosion.

Back