• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Using power levels and multipliers in DB verse (If that's something that's ever been done here)

First things first I imagine something like this has probably been done, discussed and accounted for before, so feel free to address this as uneeded if this is the case, and it's also entirely possible that we just simply don't use numbers at all for the stats on the DB pages, but rather legitimate feats, so again, feel free to address this thread as completely unesessary if that's the case, but the basic premise here is how DB multipliers work... or rather don't work I suppose.

Honestly I imagine that this would probably have the biggest impact on speed calcs, but basically I've noticed this wiki seems to use things such as Kaio Ken and Saiyan multipliers as boosting the actual trait as opposed to the users power level. Factors such as these are stated to multiply the users power level by x2 or x50 depending on what we're looking that, however this doesn't correlate with, for instance speed being x2 or x50 with that upgrade.

Think of it like this (We'll use smaller numbers for the sake of simplicity), a base DBZ character, we'll call him "Original the Character (Do not steal)", or Original for short. Now Original has a speed of 100mph, and a striking strength of 10000<Insert unit of measurement here>, and we'll give him a reasonable power level of 500. Now Original has learned the Kaio Ken through some way or another, and can use this ability up to x3, what this does to original is amplify his power level to 1000 and 1500 respectively, however what this DOESN'T do, is amplify his speed to 200mph and 300mph, or his striking strength to 20,000 and 30,000, because power levels doesn't work on a linear scale.

Let's use a real example here, with a power level of 18,000, Vegeta is capable of blowing up a planet, and in his Oozaru form, his power level is multiplied by 10 I believe? Like what we did with Original I'm going to use smaller numbers to represent the larger scale of energy require to destroy a planet, so we'll say 1000 unit of energy is what base Vegeta can yield to destroy a planet. Under a linear scale, his Oozaru form with be able to yield 10,000 units of energy, putting him either on the high scale of planet level or star level, fine and dandy, but let's try scale it down.

With a power level of 18000, Vegeta could destroy a planet with his strongest attack, let's assume that as previously noted, power levels work on a linear scale, 10x power level = 10x physical traits, so naturally this should also scale down, now, the average human power level from what I remember is 5, and 18,000/3600 would get us to 5, so if power levels scale up with physical traits, they also scale down, and by taking <Amount of energy required to destroy a planet>/3600, we get... a number that is hilariously higher than what any average human should have, farmer with shotgun was a true threat to this earth. Now I'm aware there are some holes in this, for instance, Vegeta's Ki attacks are significantly stronger than the output any human could put out, and this is his strongest Ki attack, however, no matter which way you really look at it, physical traits pretty much don't scale down.

I think the best example of how this really doesn't work is simply by using speed, what's FTL/3600? Again, hilariously higher than what any human should be capable of, they simply don't scale down because power levels don't work on a linear scale. This is sort of what I was going for in the initial start up, I imagine speed calcs will probably take the hit here if this goes through.

I was slightly apprehensive about making this, since I don't know what the Wiki's stance on using power levels is, as well as multiplers for Kaio Ken and Saiyans, and whether or not they've ever actually been used here (I mean, I've seen them brought up on the occasional thread so I'm guessing they are to an extent, but not sure if this ever applied to character pages) but I figured I might as well address this because I have nothing better to be doing at 25 past 10 in the night.

Holy heck I did not realise how much I rambled on such a simple point, might have to make a TL;DR if it comes to it

Figured the TL;DR was going to be needed, heck even just thinking back I don't think a lot of what I said was even needed. Basically Kaio Ken and Saiyan multipliers are stated to elevate the users power level by that amount, such as x2 or x50 as opposed to their physical traits by that number. And power levels don't work on a linear scale, so a x10 increase in power level wouldn't make you x10 faster or x10 stronger, because trying to use power levels on a lienar scale just doesn't work as I (Eventually) go on to say.

Something I really want to get cleared up quickly is if this actually matters for anything, for instance do we have any calcs for speed that we used power levels and multipliers to come to that conclusion, or have any vs debates been in favour of a DBZ character due to the impression that Kaio Ken or the Oozaru transformation made the character specifically X amount times faster as opposed to just a speed increase.

Yeah that's why if you think about it SSJ3 is no longer needed since Super Saiyan just needs ki control and that's basically the Kaio Ken of DBS. Power levels isn't really that exciting anymore since it's inconsistent as characters would likely be on par with SSB that I couldn't even understand.

You could ask any staff in calc group but they have done lots of these already before so you could talk to them about it.

Back