• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unsong: Mind reading resistance

Jibz

He/Him
Chp 38 - Drug king goes through Aaron’s mind to find the vital name, but Aaron was able to break free consistently. This is in his first key.

He didn’t have the Vital name here, he himself scrambled his own memories iirc
Yes Aaron did not have the vital name at the time, but the Drug King didnt know that and thus went through Aaron's memories to find it, Aaron broke free from the Drug King ******* with his mind multiple times though

The scan says “the drug king pulled away from him”

And this is not resistance to mind manip, just nullification if this feat is valid anyway

Before i respond, ive realised that Mind reading / Telepathy actually exists so its that form of resistance rather than mind manip (literally searched this online and i couldnt find it, but i can now)

Chapter title is literally called “I will not cease from Mental fight
Before pulling away it literally refers to Drug King as sifting through his memories, its beyond obvious that “pull away” was pulling away from his memory abuse
Drug King was inside Ana’s mind looking for the vital name, but was unable to find it and then went into Aaron’s
Passage above this literally refers to the mental fight:

”Then he was in my head, and I could feel him like a wind, scouring my thoughts, blasting me to the bone until I felt like I would end up like one of the spine-snakes. Every distraction was batted away, all my attempts to direct my own train of thought pushed aside like reeds. He zeroed in on the Vital Name.

For a moment I wrested control of my awareness from him and I was back on the ball court.”

Story makes no reference to Aaron being physically touched, outside of him punching Drug King and feeling pain because its a literal cactus
And this is not resistance to mind manip, just nullification if this feat is valid anyway
I dont see how itd be nullification, since he doesnt actually nullify the ability, but withstands it. Whats the difference between the two anyways?

Also no it doesnt? It literally says: ”A second time I broke away from him”. Infact it makes no mention to anything of the sort…anywhere. You’re blatantly either unable to read a couple sentences, or just lying. The only mention to “pulling” is the Drug King pulling at his memories like a tweezer???

This is a case where I'm not sure if it's actually a resistance, or just the Drug Lord's mind-reading being weak, and able to be distracted by ordinary humans changing what they're focusing on.

This is a case where I'm not sure if it's actually a resistance, or just the Drug Lord's mind-reading being weak, and able to be distracted by ordinary humans changing what they're focusing on.
Doubt its the first one, since there is no implication of it being weak
He doesn't just change what he focusses on, he pulls away from the mind reading (atleast i think, this crt happened so long ago)

Here's the full quote.
Then he was in my head, and I could feel him like a wind, scouring my thoughts, blasting me to the bone until I felt like I would end up like one of the spine-snakes. Every distraction was batted away, all my attempts to direct my own train of thought pushed aside like reeds. He zeroed in on the Vital Name.

For a moment I wrested control of my awareness from him and I was back on the ball court. He was right in front of me now, one broad green hand touching my forehead, the other still holding the cane for support. I lunged at him with the branch; he knocked it out of my hands. I punched him in the face. “Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!” I screamed. Punching somebody made of cactus had been the worst idea.

Then he was back, searching for the Vital Name, and there was nothing I could do. Closer and closer he came, winding through my memories. Not enough left of my consciousness to object, to even form a coherent thought, but not enough gone that I didn’t feel the violation on some deep level.

He was in the right part of my brain now. I could feel it.

ROS-AILE-KAPHILUTON, he pulled from me, as if with tweezers. MIRAKOI-KALANIEMI-TSHANA. Something instinctual in me doubled down like a bear trap, but he gave it no heed. KAI-KAI-EPHSANDER…

A second time I broke away from him. This time I ran. I ran to the edge of the ball court, only to find that the staircase up the pyramid was shifting places, like the winding of a snake, moving too fast for me to get a foothold on it.
And the other time his mind was invaded.
Then he was in my mind again, right where he had left off, like a dog digging a hole, flinging dirt everywhere. GALISDO, he drew from my mind. TAHUN. Then suddenly we were back on the ledge, the Drug Lord using a hand to shield his eyes from the sun and peering down at the city below.

A figure was walking down the Avenue of the Dead, alone. Tall, lithe. Very fast. As we watched, it reached the base of the pyramid. It didn’t bother to go around, just started climbing the staircase, wading through the blood as if it wasn’t there. The face came into focus.

“Jane!” I shouted.
In the first quote, he initially fails to redirect his train of thought, but then succeeds.

And while there may not be a direct indication of it being weak, we know from later events that at this time, the powers of all angelic beings, including the Drug Lord, are being heavily nerfed by Uriel. And there's also no indication of Aaron (in terms of capabilities) being anything greater than an ordinary human with some kabbalistic knowledge. Him having some resistance to mind-reading above other humans in the setting would be a bit strange.

that is a fair notion, if the mind reading is too weak to be considered scaleable then thats fair enough. If that's the case this can be closed.

Back