• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Translator staff member role

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not traditionally have staff surveys for image helpers or translation helpers, as they have no position of power within this community. They simply help out with different limited tasks and get to avoid advertisements as a reward.

Hm, this made it sound like it would be a position of power.

Benefits​

The benefits of being a TH team:
  • Staff member: Translators are part of the managing staff, and as such can take part in staff discussions. In other words, they are allowed to offer input regarding the future direction of the site, and their opinions will be taken into consideration when creating/modifying site policies.
Similar text is present on the page for Image Helpers.

Hm, this made it sound like it would be a position of power.

Similar text is present on the page for Image Helpers.
Hmm. I am not sure if we should include that particular text for image helpers and translation helpers unless they have been invited to staff only threads. I will ask the other highest ranked staff members about it.

The issue is if we should give translation helpers the automatic power to influence staff discussion threads.

"Translators are part of the managing staff, and as such can take part in staff discussions. In other words, they are allowed to offer input regarding the future direction of the site, and their opinions will be taken into consideration when creating/modifying site policies."

As long as they're maintaining translations that are reliable or they're at least familiar with our site/wiki rules, I don't see the issue with that to me.

Well, our highest staff members will have to discuss it in private. We cannot be certain that all of the translation helpers will handle it responsibly.

I spoke briefly with Agnaa much earlier today when the Staff Discussion rule was pointed out. I agree it's wacky for Image Helpers and Calc Group Members and shouldn't be implemented for similar non-evaluating staff. Their work is supremely helpful and appreciated but I don't think we ought to give them staff discussion permissions, any more than posting once to give their thoughts.

From what I'm told, shouldn't this also apply to content mods as well as they're not really evaluating staff either?

I disagree with content mods not being evaluating staff, being very blunt about it, but that's another discussion. Evaluating staff rights are not coterminous with staff discussion rights, and I think any more senior member of the staff ought to be included. I don't mean to disregard opinions, but if we're cordoning off discussion already, I feel that roles serving singular, almost always unrelated duties shouldn't be included any more than any knowledgeable blue name.

I disagree with content mods not being evaluating staff, being very blunt about it, but that's another discussion. Evaluating staff rights are not coterminous with staff discussion rights, and I think any more senior member of the staff ought to be included. I don't mean to disregard opinions, but if we're cordoning off discussion already, I feel that roles serving singular, almost always unrelated duties shouldn't be included any more than any knowledgeable blue name.
I have 21 reasons for not allowing content moderator to have evaluation rights but that's also for other discussion.

Anyway, since Agnaa also point this out earlier in the server, this goes against the whole purpose from my earlier staff thread.

As for this post;
Well, our highest staff members will have to discuss it in private. We cannot be certain that all of the translation helpers will handle it responsibly.
They are staff members of wiki, simply not even giving the benefits that each role has, then we are questioning now the purpose of image helpers and translation helpers.

Is it okay if I can express my honesty here? Yes, it's true that Image Helpers (which would include me), this suggested staff addition, Calc Group, and Content Moderators aren't evaluating staff. But even then, they should still all be knowledgeable in our site/wiki standards, considered that we're expected to be depended on for our duties. But I'm gonna stop right there, because I don't need to stress myself too much

Last edited:
Is it okay if I can express my honesty here? Yes, it's true that Image Helpers (which would include me), this suggested staff addition, Calc Group, and Content Moderators aren't evaluating staff. But even then, they should still all be knowledgeable in our site/wiki standards, considered that we're expected to be depended on for our duties. But I'm gonna stop right there, because I don't need to stress myself too much
Don't worry about it. You guys do good work and I hate speaking against you because I fear you may take it personally. I don't want to stress you out.

That said, while I believe you do take a greater interest in site policy and such, I don't think the same can be said universally for all Image Helpers, nor is that a primary concern when promoting people to Image Helper or Calc Group- our concern is just if you can help with the workload in that given category. We should not disbar someone from gaining the role on the grounds that we do not think they would be able to contribute to site policy discussions, and thus we should not include them in those discussions. If someone shows a capacity and desire to understand and discuss and add to site policy, then we ought to promote them to mod.

Content mods are a more justifiable area as they interface with site policy on a wider scale much more often than an Image Helper would.

Those are my two cents.

I have 21 reasons for not allowing content moderator to have evaluation rights but that's also for other discussion.
I have no idea what this is referring to but I am intrigued.

Yes, content moderators are highly trusted and just a step below administrators despite not having evaluation rights. They should be able to comment in staff forum threads without invitations.

However, I am afraid that I agree with Bambu about image helpers and translation helpers in that regard. The relevant text segment should not be included in their respective staff instruction pages in our wiki.

Speaking of which, what is the current draft text for the translation helper staff instruction page?

Content Moderators are well-versed with site standards as they specialize in a very important aspect of the site, i.e. the pages. It's not a simple job. It's justified that they get a say in site-standards. Thread evaluation is just one pillar of the site, while page maintenance is equally important.

I am fine with removing the text from Image Helpers and Translation Helpers pages. I don't think editing images or translating languages makes one capable of having a well-rounded view of site standards. (Of course there are individual exceptions but those people generally get promoted to a more suitable rank.)

I don't mind it, then. The text can be removed. Altho, we can save the discussion about content moderators for later since it requires modification in many rules I have "added/changed" in the site.

After the conclusion of the canoncity staff thread I initiated, I will make a sincere effort to initiate a meaningful discussion on the subject.

I have created the page in question:

The badge has been created, and it should only free such staff members from advertisements in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back