• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Project: PC-98's Canonicity (Yes, again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big thanks to the people who tried to make these types of threads before (e.g. Doge), as I reuse a lot of their points here.

From the verse page:
The series consists of 21 games, some characters also make a cameo in another bullet hell game called Seihou. The complicated part is that there is a discontinuity between games 1-5 (The PC-98 era) and the rest of the games (The Windows Era). Although ZUN has stated that the 6th game was clean from the previous games and that the PC-98 Game should be ignored, he has also stated that the setting of the PC-98 games still lives to this day and just do not get to be shown, which results in some confusion over the actual canonicity of the PC-98 games.

This thread aims to settle the confusion and merge the two canons. While some old arguments will be used, there’s also some new arguments here as well, so let’s discuss.

Let’s talk about that “clear sweep” statement first. It comes from the Afterword section of Imperishable Night, where ZUN says that the transition from Mystic Square to Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was a clean sweep, implying that the two continuities aren’t related whatsoever. But immediately after he says that he meant that the PC-98 games were undefined, unlike the Windows games which were a lot more diverse and had a bigger world to show. He then also mentions that none of the characters ever actually disappear either, proving again that the two continuities were never separated.

With that out of the way, let’s bring up some things from 98 that made their appearance in Windows.

Alice Margatroid, a character from 98, appears in Perfect Cherry Blossom. Even though Reimu doesn’t remember her, Alice does, and mentions that the two had some history before. You may say that Reimu not remembering Alice is somehow already proof that PC-98 and Windows are two separate continuities, but keep in mind that Reimu is consistently portrayed in both 98 and Windows as a careless person who often doesn’t care or remember her opponents, especially if she only fought them once or they were fodder, so I think her forgetting who Alice is makes sense in this situation.

Yuuka Kazami, another character from 98, appears in Phantasmagoria of Flower View. Unlike with Alice, Reimu actually remembers Yuuka, and mentions a previous incident that Yuuka caused that Reimu managed to solve by defeating her. This is an obvious reference to Lotus Land Story, another PC-98 game where Yuuka was the culprit of that game. It’s also been mentioned that Reimu defeated Yuuka a few times before as well.

Genji, another 98 cha- you get the point, is mentioned to still be around by ZUN.

One of the last older evidences, is that ZUN mentions that 98 and Windows still take place in the same world, but mentions that Windows is more important to the continuity, due to the previously mentioned fact that 98 was back when the series was still undefined and didn’t have all this worldbuilding and complex characters.

With that, we can move on to some of the newer examples.

In a 2007 interview, ZUN states once again that he wants to make newer characters instead of bringing back old characters like the ones from PC-98, and again confirms that Genji is still around.

In a 2002 FAQ, he says that all the games take place in the same world. Keep in mind that this was back when EoSD was the newest game in the series, so it’d make absolutely no sense to clump in other Windows game as they haven’t even existed during that time.

In the omake for EoSD, Reimu’s profile states that she’s the same age she was in the previous title because they “aren’t that chronologically apart from eachother.”

In Yuuka's SCoOW profile, ZUN states that the characters from the PC-98 games are still around, just that they've retired and prefer to watch all the crazy stuff in Gensokyo unfold.

Lastly, in the most recent interview, which was hosted just last month, ZUN mentions that the old works (PC-98) and Windows aren’t completely different.

How will this affect the profiles?

Obviously, all the reccuring PC-98 characters will no longer have two keys, but this actually give more stuff to the verse as a whole besides that.

The cast would have some extra tier 2 feats to scale to, as
Shinki created Makai, which is an otherworld, and the weaker proof for tier 2 PC-98 is Yumemi's 4-D bomb.

Reimu would get additional hax as well, such as the
Yin-Yang Orbs making her able to eat sweets without getting fat, the Yin-Yang Orbs being able to transform into a variety of things like a wishgranting fairy, the Yin-Yang Orbs allowing her to change her scent, and so on.

Last edited:
I am interested to see where this post will go. I think the evidence presented is very believable so far.

I'm going to elaborate on one thing regarding Reimu forgetting stuff. She has forgotten who Sunny, Luna, Star were near the end of the same manga (that's dedicated to them), where she has encountered them many many times. She forgot a important part in her shrine maiden job her whole life, only to then use it to become a fortune teller, only to then completely forget her position as a shrine maid and her shrine (abandoned). She has also forgotten who Kogasa was.

I'm going to elaborate on one thing regarding Reimu forgetting stuff. She has forgotten who Sunny, Luna, Star were near the end of the same manga (that's dedicated to them), where she has encountered them many many times. She forgot a important part in her shrine maiden job her whole life, only to then use it to become a fortune teller, only to then completely forget her position as a shrine maid and her shrine (abandoned). She has also forgotten who Kogasa was.
I guess I should also add the fact she already forgets who Alice is in the extra stage of Mystic Square, the same game where she meets and fights Alice for the first time.

She also forgot who Kasen was, despite having met her several times prior and admits she's bad at remembering faces.

Reimu's just ******* face blind lol, it's not really an issue with canon.

I guess I should also add the fact she already forgets who Alice is in the extra stage of Mystic Square, the same game where she meets and fights Alice for the first time.
lmao

Thank you Reimu for representing the ADHD community 💪 (none of us can remember shit)

She also forgot who Kasen was, despite having met her several times prior and admits she's bad at remembering faces.

Reimu's just ******* face blind lol, it's not really an issue with canon.

lmao

Thank you Reimu for representing the ADHD community 💪 (none of us can remember shit)
Big fan of Reimu and Marisa for both having ADHD out the ass and being bisexual, very awesome of them 💪

Anyways that aside, I agree with this CRT 100% and have been for the united canon for a while now, separating them has always been an unnecessary canon split.

I got reminded of the Nasuverse when the continuity is pretty much “All canon” as currently.

Now that is out of the way. I will post a link to this thread on CRT Promotion Thread and see how that goes.
Saint Seiya is unfortunately most likely going to leave that club =(

Last edited:
Will update the OP to add more evidence that they're the same canon, as well as mentioning stuff that will be put on the profiles if this CRT gets accepted.

This is logical and based. PC-98 and windows era should be merged. Like everything that should've been.
Agree.

I mean, it was already weird for it being a reboot or whatever when the "Windows era" still suggests being a sequel with its names, as EoSD is Touhou 6 and not a new Touhou 1.

That's what happen for Reimu when she forgot to drink her dementia pills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back