• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Too Angry to Die - Guts vs Maul

Sir_Ovens

Resident Kitchen Appliance
VS Battles
Administrator
GRIFFITH!!!! vs KENOBI!!!!

Black Swordsman Guts vs Rebels Era Maul. Speed equalized. Victory via SBA.

821c6a133386acb1fe9754081ba1816e.jpg
benjamin-goutte-guts.jpg

According to Wokistan, Dragon Slayer tanking lightning would allow it to resist up to 35k degrees celsius. Lightsabers as stated by people on Quora are about 20k degrees celsius.

Regardless, as long as they don't blade lock there's a very low chance that Maul would just cut through the entirety of Dragon Slayer.

Maul's weapon has its weaknesses here. It's essentially a quarterstaff used with the hands in the middle. But he uses it to block lightsabers which have minimal mass. It'd be very hard to use one end of the blade to block a heavy blow from Dragon Slayer, and the middle is useless, unlike a real quarterstaff. Can Guts' mechanical arm withstand a lightsaber? If it can then that would prevent Maul from attacking him with the other end while locking blades.

Maul's weapon has its weaknesses here. It's essentially a quarterstaff used with the hands in the middle. But he uses it to block lightsabers which have minimal mass. It'd be very hard to use one end of the blade to block a heavy blow from Dragon Slayer, and the middle is useless, unlike a real quarterstaff. Can Guts' mechanical arm withstand a lightsaber? If it can then that would prevent Maul from attacking him with the other end while locking blades.
Probably not.

So Maul's wincon is either to mostly avoid a strike then use the other end of the blade to attack back, or dodge an attack and immediately retaliate, or to use either telekinesis or mind attacks. Guts' wincon is to use the superior reach of Dragon Slayer to attack from further away than Maul's lightsaber can reach, and use the superior mass of it to plow right through Maul's defence and crush him quickly. Leaning towards Maul at the moment.

I think Guts should be the far more skilled swordsman following his feats, he’ll read Maul’s strat and smash through him.

He also has his weird mark. It tilts the favor a bit more in his favor.

Voting Guts.

I think I’m going to vote for Guts. His Dragonslayer has a very high reach that would make it more difficult for Maul to avoid his attacks. Based on the arguments made regarding the temperature of lightsabers and the heat of lightning bolts which the Dragonslayer was able to withstand, I’d say Guts doesn’t have to worry about the lightsaber cutting through his sword.

In addition, Guts is more experienced in fighting a variety of different opponents and using different strategies or weapons. Meanwhile Maul primarily relies on his lightsaber combat and rarely uses the Force during fights. He could easily get caught off-guard by Guts’ small explosives, his arm cannon, and potentially even his throwing knives. Guts also has much higher stamina than Maul, and has even let himself get injured to find an opening.

Last edited:
Now I think of it, when Maul sees a guy in primitive looking armour wielding what looks like nothing but a big sword, he'll likely assume that his lightsaber will cut right through the Dragon Slayer. Obi-Wan being a cautious man would probably proceed with the assumption that the Dragon Slayer was made of something that could withstand his lightsaber like cortosis, but Maul would likely assume the opposite.

If he hits the Dragon Slayer expecting it to break, and it doesn't, he'll have made an opening for Guts to attack. And let's not forget that Maul making assumptions about his enemy being weak is how he lost his legs (and his pe... penny bags, yeah that's what I was gonna say), so there's precedent for Maul making this mistake.

I think I'll vote Guts here too.

Back