• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The_Wright_Way

VS Battles
Retired
Thrawn ends up getting forced to retreat from the galaxy in order to escape a surprise attack from the rebel alliance. He ends up crash landing in Gotham City. The Star Destroyer he was on completely sinks into the Gotham Harbor, but Thrawn and his men make it out alright. He decides to exploit the city's criminal element, deciding he can turn the thugs of Gotham into a makeshift army to launch a counterattack against the rebels with once he gets back into space. But first he needs to get to the top of Gotham's food chain and that Batman would likely prove himself a liability.....

Batman wins if he can arrest Thrawn before he can become the kingpin of Gotham. Thrawn wins if he can crawl to the top of Gotham's seedy underbelly and get back into space with his new army. Eliminating Batman is also a win condition, but isn't likely necessary. He doesn't need to do both, just one or the other. Let's also assume that the Joker isn't around for whatever reason.

Post-Crisis Batman (no 4-B equipment) vs Legends Thrawn

Bonus Round: Post-Crisis Batman vs Legends Thrawn, but they're playing chess.

ZCyH1Xy
vs.
D02601c853fab13d24112c4f64241f8cff70a861r1-527-550v2 uhq

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not just their battle tactics, but their history. Philosophy. Art. Wouldn't you agree Mr. Wayne?"

Anyways, would you mind if I give my opinion on this? I understand that I'm the OP and I can't vote, but I don't intend to. I just want to illuminate how I see Thrawn approaching this.

I mean voting on your own thread isn't actually banned, it's kind of an unwritten rule, even then the OP can argue as much as they want, I've seen way worse

Go ahead.

Gladly. Thrawn's most powerful gun is his mind and knowledge about his opponent is the ammunition. His first instinct is going to be intel gathering. While Thrawn would recognize that he and his men hold a vast technological advantage iver the common thugs of Gotham, he would not use this as an excuse to simply take the city by force. This is for a few reasons.

1. He only has the crew of one Star Destroyer backing him here. Depending on the type of Star Destroyer, this can mean he has a minimum of 50,000 men. That's not enough to hold an entire city by any stretch.

2. The Rebel Alliance continues to pose a significant threat to the Empire in spite of comparably flimsy resources. Even Thrawn himself is no stranger to persevering in spite of being less equipped. The people of this city could potentially do the same.

3. He's going to nerd people to cooperate if he wants to turn the underworld into an army. Forceful occupation tends not to inspire that.

Instead, Thrawn is going to want to be subtle. Basic recon will tell him that this planet, or at least this city, is predominantly human dominated. Naturally, this means Thrawn himself would stick out like a sore thumb, so he'd try to stay out if sight to avoid suspicion. In order to gather further intelligence, Thrawn has his men join up with some of the gangs in Gotham in irder to figure out who the movers and shakers are. He'll likely send them unequipped. Goons with inexplicably advanced technology will raise to many eyebrows for his liking.

He'd begin taking notes on the personalities of Gotham's toughest this way. Riddler's ego, Two-Face's duality, Penguin's greed. Simply examining their taste in art or their latest will tell Thrawn volumes about them. The guy can peg down entire species just by looking at paintings after all. He'd also hear about the man keeping them all in line. The Batman. The top of the food chain.

With a plan forming in his head, Thrawn makes his first real move. He and his men will start peddling imperial technology to criminals. This will allow him to quickly establish a power base, although Thrawn would be aware that it would immediately put him on Batman's radar. He'd be careful not to make these deals in person. Knowledge is power after all. Thrawn's alien appearance combined with the space ship in Gotham's harbor would lead people to the obvious conclusion. The longer he can pose as a common crime lord, the better.

Thrawn will also take care not to sell his more advanced weapons. Better to keep the cards close to your chest. He would, however, sell slightly better gear to the Penguin. Penguin is a business man and one if those businesses is arms dealing. Naturally, Thrawn's fancy new weapons are a threat to business. Penguin either needs Thrawn gone or he ners to up his game. Given Thrawn is willing to sell to him, option 2 proves to be easier. Penguin would get to work reverse engineering, mass producing, and selling his new toys. After this, Thrawn drops his operations off the map briefly and lets Penguin corner the market.

Thrawn then begins to rob museums and art shows, targeting the art Penguin would like. He then begins te sell the art to the Penguin, with hidden cameras attached of course. With the trap laid, Thrawn sits back and waits.

Batman tracks down Penguin as the now sole gunrunner of the high tech guns flooding Gotham's streets. They fight and Thrawn's hidden cameras catch the show. Thrawn takes notes of Bruce's posture, fighting skill, and gadgets.

He deduces that Batman must be rich enough to afford his (by Earth standards) highly advanced toys, likely spent much if his life training to develop such a high level of skill, and would have to have good reason to hate crime given he went as far as to dress like a bat. A quick Google search (he could easily have his men steal a computer or something) and he locks on to a single candidate in Gotham. Bruce Wayne. In one move Thrawn both eliminated a rival and discovered Batman's identity.

The death of his parents provides the motive, he has the same body structure, and disappeared for a considerable time to parts unknown for most of his life, during which he could've easily trained.

Time for Thrawn's Second Move.

He begins making deals with Gotham's other crime lords. He explains his circumstances to Mr Freeze and states that the Empire can grant him the funding needed to cure his wife, he appeals to The Riddler's ego by offering him a position in the Empire's military as a high ranking Admiral, and swears he can dedicate a large part of the Empire's Scientific Research to curing Croc's condition. Those he can't bargain with, he'll simply intimidate with superior weaponry or entice with Batman's identity.

With his new wealth of resources, Thrawn kickstarts a crime spree. He's heard more about Bruce's personality from talking with his villains, he's pieced together his hero complex by now. Batman will run himself ragged fighting crime non-stop. A kidnapping here, a bomb threat there, a prison break and a hostage situation simultaneously. Batman will respond each and every time. He has too.

But eventually he'll break down. And when he does Thrawn will have his legion if Supervillains ready to storm Wayne Manor.

"Checkmate, Mr. Wayne."

I'll note that this argument doesn't acknowledge Bruce's own resources. I look forward to any counter arguments.

I also swear I didn't mean for this to turn into an essay on how Thrawn wins lol. I was just gonna elaborate his tactics and then I said "**** it."

"OPs shouldn't be biased towards one side or another"

Me, prepping a college thesis on why one side wins: "say what?"

Like, on one hand I'm proud of this argument but on the other I feel like I overstepped.

You gave your reasons for one side and are open to counter arguments, it's cool.

Still, too the Voting Bazaar.

Also, tbf, my theory doesn't apply to the bonus round. It probably holds for round 2, save for Thrawn being able to tussel with a few Supervillains is he has too, but I don't see it coming to that.

I mean, I give tons of biased arguments on my Bahamut threads, since I'm the only one who knows about the verse. Thrawn FRA.

Hmmm...

I believe the biggest hurdle for Bats is the level of planning that Thrawn is capable of and the position they are both in.

As pointed out by Wright, Thrawn is in a better position to gather information and has the advantage of being able to work through others to accomplish what he needs. Going further, every little engagment teaches Thrawn more about Batman and, thus, brings him closer to taking Batman down. Bat's has certain things he will always do and always respond to, which helps to make him predictable. At least, to Thrawn.

Worse yet, even if Bats were to figure out someone is pulling strings, Thrawn will figure him out long before Bats gets really relevant info. Batman is a known figure in Gotham with a history, tendencies and many people who want him dead/gone. Thrawn can use all of that to gather the information he needs. On the other hand, Batman is left trying to figure out a guy that, as far as Earth is concerned, doesn't exist. Not saying Bats won't figure anything useful out, but I don't think he has enough sources to so quick enough before Thrawn checkmates him.

We then have to consider that Thrawn's own intellect and ability to plan based off of information, nearly allowed him to take over the Star Wars galaxy. The man came up with plans that he could implement so well that even if you started to figure them out, he was already setting them into motion. You figured out stage one? Too bad. Thrawn's already on stage four. If he can do that to entire militaries and peoples spanning a galaxy, how bad is it gonna be for the one guy he's focusing all of this on?

So, yeah, I vote Thrawn.

I will give Batman this, he's much smarter than most people Thrawn goes up against. I'm not knocking Admiral Ackbar and his like, but Batman has about fifty different contingencies for how to kill guys like Superman (which Thrawn would have access too if he wins. ....This bodes poorly for the Justice League). If Batman does get a read on Thrawn, the Chiss is gonna start running into a lot of problems.

"Thrawn relies on art to read people, I start purchasing art that I hate to mislead him on how I think" or something like that.

On top of that, Batman has fought opponents with a level of intellect comparable to Thrawn, such as Ra's Al Gual, The Joker, and Bane.

Even if Thrawn wins, he'd likely grow to respect Bruce by the time this is over.

Question, should I remove the second round? Pretty sure it's redundant after further consideration and might leave this unable to be added.

"It probably holds for round 2, save for Thrawn being able to tussel with a few Supervillains is he has too, but I don't see it coming to that."

I would say remove round 1

Eh, I think I'll remove round 2. Thrawn is an extraordinary genius in both of his keys, to an extent that Arkham Bats really can't measure up. I can at least buy PC Batman taking down Thrawn, the man's detective work is absurd, but Arkham? No, I just don't see it happening. This is not helped by the fact that Disney Thrawn can physically contend with Gotham's villains. At least in Round 1, Thrawn has a smaller room for error.

Back