• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[Thinking of] Getting a New Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnificence

Joe, Joey, Jojo, Joseph
He/Him
Hey there everyone, it's Joe. So, I have an announcement for everyone on and off this wiki... I'm thinking about getting a new profile for Fandom.

Why am I doing this, you ask? Well, I primarily want a new username. Being an avid supporter of the VS Battles, you all have known me as CreatorJoe, or Joe for short. At first, I didn't mind the username when I created a fandom profile, and it was the only thing at the time I could think of to replace my Gmail from showing. I managed to create some art for my avatar using the outdated Backgrounder 3 utility from Panzoid, and I was also thinking of creating a banner for myself here on the forums.

Unfortunately, as much as I abhor to admit it, I've outgrown this username, and now I feel as though it's not really as excellent as I thought it'd be. I also feel like I don't have the time to make a banner for myself and this account on the forums due to the time I spend working, writing/drawing webcomics, and exercising.

I've been thinking about changing it to a name (or a facsimile of it) that I've used almost everywhere across the internet known as JT Gamer. I've kept this as my basic YT channel name and Steam username for quite a while and decided to use it for almost every username and password I ever needed for an account.

I'm still contemplating on whether or not I should go through with this because I keep looking back at all the blogs, pages, and edits I made on this wiki and every other. I feel as though I'll lose all the progress and content I made with this profile on here and many other wikis, and there's a part of me that does and doesn't wanna get a new account. Plus, I have recently received the Supporter badge for this profile after donating to the wiki.

What do you guys think? Should I apply for a new profile or keep this one? Let me know down below.

Keeping your own account would be best as that way we can tell it's you without issue, plus I think there'd be issues transferring the "Supporter" role.
Plus you can just rename your account in Fandom once (and only once, be careful), more information here, then just request a bureaucrat to rename you here to keep consistency. If you already did a rename to your account, then it'd be best to make another account after disabling the current one, namely out of sockpuppet policies around here.

Plus you can just rename your account in Fandom once (and only once, be careful), more information here, then just request a bureaucrat to rename you here to keep consistency.
I unfortunately already did the rename for this profile, so I guess I have no chance.

I can later change your current forum account username to correspond with the one that you use in our wiki, if you wish, but you should follow the instructions in the page that Bobsican posted a link to regarding how to change your Fandom username, and again, you can only change the Fandom/wiki username a single time, so be careful.

Yes, that is correct. You have to use a specific renaming page/tool in order to request a username change, but if you write it wrong, you will be stuck with it anyway.

@Antvasima What if I get a new account on the wiki after I change my name here? Will I lose the profile here on the forum after I get a new account on the wiki?

It seems best to first try to change your username in the wiki to something unique, but given that Fandom has many millions of members, most of the common names have been taken, and you will usually need to insert random numbers after what you want to call yourself. You should first try to change it to "JT Gamer", and if that does not work, to "JT Gamer123" or somesuch, but again, you only get one accepted change for it, so don't mess it up please.

Everything will be carried over, although a bug may delete any comments done on them from what I recall (this happened to Amelia Lonelyheart IIRC), so keep that in mind.

Why do you want to delete it instead suddenly? Also, you can only deactivate your access to it.

I think that the only way to do that is to change your wiki username rather than create a new account, but even then, all of the comments in your blog posts will likely disappear, so it is not at all an ideal solution.

Is your current username really a big problem for you?

And have you properly understood the instructions that Bobsican linked to regarding how you change the username of your current Fandom account?

I would suggest first trying to change your username in the wiki, unless you have blog posts with important comments that will disappear afterwards.

Funny that this is mentioned given that I've been wanting to change my username too. Mine sounds like a child made it on his Xbox 360 and that's not exactly the look I'm going for. I think I can change my Fandom username, but how would I go about having my username here changed?

You only get a single chance to change your username in the wiki, but it would also erase ALL of the comments in your calculation blogs, unless Fandom has fixed that bug, and I don't think that they have, so it would turn extremely hard to tell which of them that have been accepted, and as such I definitely do not recommend it in your case.

I just asked the Fandom staff about if there have been any bug-fixes for this problem yet. I first mentioned it to them years ago.

Okay. Let's wait for Fandom to reply then.

Alright, I have a new account now, but I haven't deleted my old one yet. What do you guys suggest I do now?

Are you certain that you want to abandon your old account? If so, I suggest that you link to your new account in the user page for your old one.

After that, I can rename your forum account to use the same username, if you wish. You will not be able to edit in the wiki until your new account has been autoconfirmed though.

Here is what Kirkburn of the Fandom staff told me:

"So far as I am aware, the issues should be resolved now that comments are on an entirely different system. I don't recall seeing reports of problems for a long time now."

It seems best if CreatorJoe tests what happens after he changes his username before others members here do so as well though, especially our wiki staff.

Sounds good. If it works for CreatorJoe, I'll change my username too.

What about changing it on this site though? How is that done? Is it directly linked to the Fandom account?

No, you just ask me or AKM to change your username here, but we only do so to match the one that our members use in the wiki/Fandom.

Okay. However, please remember that Fandom has many million members, so most common usernames have already been taken, unless you add numbers at the end or somesuch.

Okay. However, please remember that Fandom has many million members, so most common usernames have already been taken, unless you add numbers at the end or somesuch.
Yeah, I found that the name I wanted isn't taken but it doesn't pass the similarity check so I'll need to think of a workaround

Okay. No problem.

@AKM sama

Can you handle transfering the Calc Group wiki tag to the new account name please?

Also, I noticed that any links to calc blogs I've made still had my original name, so I went in and fixed all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back