• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Ultimate Garfield Revision Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no proof of immeasurable speed, just toon force, and agree with Jaften that Low Godly Regenerationn is an exaggeration. Garfield apparently just blew up, which couldn't be shown in a family-friendly comicbook strip. That is High-Mid.

Running back in time is immeasurable speed. We already agreed that low godly regen is not valid, and went with At least High Mid, likely High, as no remnants were visible at all

Supernatural fear manipulation is also an exaggeration. The rest seems fine though.

It is not clear that he was running back in time. It is even left unclear whether or not he was running between panels, which would just be a common type of toon force, not the ability to transcend time itself.

Anyway, I have adjusted the page. In the future, do not perform these types of drastic edits without clear staff approval.

Running in the reverse flow of time is indeed an immeasurable speed feat. Running back in the panels, even if it was for comedic effect, very clearly shows a moving back in time. Last I checked someone does not need to transcend time to have immeasurable speed, even if that is where most immeasurable speed feats come from, they just need to be able to "run" along the forth axis, which he is clearly doing.

Also, even if he doesn't have immeasurable speed, he still needs time travel. In additon, what was the issue with his fear manip? just cuz it isn't supernatural doesn't mean he doesn't have it

Again, all that we see is the vaulting pole being drawn between panels, not Garfield himself. He was likely just planning to use it to reach the jar of cookies. We do not remotely have proof that he can move back in time, and it would be an enormous outlier even if he did.

At best moving betweeen panels is a common type of toon force, used by plenty of other characters such as Gwenpool and She-Hulk, who have never remotely displayed immeasurable speed on their own. It would completely contradict the fundamental essences of their characters, much like it does here.

Jon is describing that he put the Jar out of sink with time, so if we do not go with the obvious time travel or running back in time, some kind of time manipulation or counter there of is happening here. The fact that the motion lines and poll are seemingly moving across the pannels with Garfield in toe, the implication of what they are going for is clear, and only the total refusal to move beyond what is explicitly stated can deny that he is moving back in the pannels. Its hard to be an outlier when there are next to no anti-feats for him. If he does not have immeasurable speed, or even time travel if you deny that, then he at the very least has some level of time manip for his capacity to retreave the jar from outside of his time flow

Gwenpool is a bad example for your point since she can move through time by moving outside pannels and outside the flow of time. Presumably the only reason she is not rated as immeasurable due to moving outside of time is that it would only be applicable in a realm where everyone can move outside the flow of time, and thus pointless. I cannot speak for She-Hulk, as I am not knowledgable on her, but as far as I can tell they are far more serious than Garfield is. Garfield's "fundamental essence" does not contradict him being able to run back in time if that contributes to the gag, which at this point it did. You will note that I even proposed that it was "Varies" between different speeds with Immeasurable only being the absolute max, as we do for many other toon force characters, which fixes the issue of it running against the tone, as it would only apply when it fits his gag.

Also, why was the fear manip removed again?

If we go with that it was not just a visual gag effect, then he was clearly moving between panels going by how the vaulting pole was drawn. In addition, he has never remotely demonstrated time travel in a more easily understood manner elsewhere.

I am not going to accept this, and am far too busy to continue to argue about it. Sorry, but you will have to live with that.

Fear manipulation means an actual superhuman power, not just scaring people by threatening them.

That's fine. I can make a revision thread another time and have other staff look at it, since you do not have time. We both have much on our plate and can deal with this at another time. More for time manip than immeasurable speed at least

Ah, i see. that makes sense.

To explain, the issue here is that immeasurable speed is an extremely high rating that needs clearly understood irrefutable proof that does not severely contradict the general character portrayal. This particular instance is far too diffuse to reliably use the rating.

Anyway, should we close this thread?

Is time manipulation at least acceptable to add, since he is undoubtably capable of bringing that back into time flow, given Jon's distress? Well whatever, I guess I'll just come back to this another time

Sure

Okay. I would prefer if you drop the issue though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back