• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Sad Man Behind Blue Eyes: David Haller Revisions

Azathoth_the_Abyssal_Idiot

VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Been wanting to fix up David's page since the end of Legion season 2 (which is excellent and you should be watching it, by the way). Most of this stuff isn't too major, so it's going to be lumped into one revision.

Powers and Abilities

David has a few missing powers that should be added. You'll have to excuse the lack of clips, as it's kind of difficult to find many specific scenes for the show.

• Transmutation: This is really just a more specified version of David's Matter Manipulation and Reality Warping, but he and the Shadow King have always been shown to be able to use their powers for these purposes. Off the top of my head, there's the instance in which the Shadow King (using both the guises of Lenny and Oliver) turned some soldiers into animals such as pigs just by pointing at them. I'm also pretty sure David has turned people in black smoke, before.
  • Perception Manipulation: Ties into his Illusion Creation and Mind Manipulation. This has been a pretty consistent power of his.
  • Weather Manipulation: Demonstrated in the season 2 finale. His confrontation with Farouk out in the desert created a massive storm that covered the sky, with many of their blows against each other causing/manifesting bolts of lightning.
  • Memory Manipulation: More specific version of his Mind Manipulation. A weakened David removes select memories from Syd's mind with a gesture. Shown in the season 2 finale.
  • BFR: Not entirely sure if this counts as BFR, since David is technically just affecting someone's mind while doing nothing to their body, but in season 1 episodes 5 and 6, he showed the ability to shunt people's minds into an "alternate reality", while their bodies became motionless in the real world.
  • Durability Negation: An extremely obvious one. Most of his powers do this.
  • Resistance to Reality Warping, Matter Manipulation, and Time Manipulation: David already has resistance to Mind Manipulation and Mind Control due to his encounters with Farouk in the astral plane. However, the finale of Season 2 has shown that even when throwing all their powers at each other in the physical world, they're still incredibly evenly matched. David's abilities are virtually identical to Farouk's (minus Possession and Type 6 Immortality, which even then is likely only due to not knowing how to do this as opposed to being entirely unable), and neither would be able to survive an encounter with the other, let alone be so evenly matched, without some degree of resistance/counter to the things that provide the basis for all of their abilities.
  • Forcefield Creation: Another obvious one. He's shown to do this many times. Which leads into...
Durability

David's durability is listed as "Human level". The problem is, this is only the case when his powers aren't in use. He's constantly shown the ability to protect himself and others with these powers, often even subconsciously. With the finale of Season 2, we finally get undeniable proof of this. David and Farouk (who, for those who don't watch the show, are equals in power) finally go head to head after Farouk regains his original body. However, the two are unable to directly harm each other, instead doing battle with massive astral versions of themselves. In fact, they're unable to physically harm each other at all until their powers are disabled. This makes it pretty clear that David's durability should be "Human level naturally, Small Planet level with his powers".

Speed

The finale has also given David speed feats that likely exceed his current Supersonic rating by an extreme degree. I've posted it in the calculation request thread, and would appreciate if someone was willing to take a look at it.

Something Extra

This one is extremely unimportant and not at all combat related, but I'm throwing it in here, anyway. In the penultimate episode of season 2, David was finally referred to as "Legion", so that can be added as an alias under his name.

Yeah, but that's because David stopped time, iirc. The bullest doesn't start moving again until near the very end of the scene, though the characters do still perceive it as moving incredibly slow.

Still, he stopped time after the bullet had been fired at him and Syd from a few feet away but before it could hit either of them.

His speed should be a good bit higher than Supersonic even within the confines of season 1, regardless.

I mean, the dude's powers are basically "mindfuck and realityfuck". In that exact scene, he stopped time while shunting everyone's minds, including his own, into an alternate reality created from the mind of him + the Shadow King, where he believed he was still a patient at the mental hospital, before Oliver comes in from the astral plane and uses music to restore the flow of time.

Weirdness is to be expected.

The show's actually pretty good at showing off that aspect of reality warpers, making them so damn good at what they do, you're sometimes not even sure what's supposed to be real.

Also might be worth noting that David does indeed have a notable weakness. As we learn in the penultimate episode, a giant tuning fork-like device called "The Choke" is capable of generating a very specific frequency that negates local mutant abilities. It only works on beings as powerful as David and Farouk for a few minutes, and isn't really a weakness that would apply to an actual fight unless the Choke is actually present, but it's still worth mentioning.

...Yeah, there's quite a few things missing from David's page, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to help get this stuff cleared up so I can actually make more profiles for the verse.

Question: Since it seems there aren't really very many people familiar with the show, but what I've presented hasn't really been viewed as in any way controversial, should I just go ahead and implement these things, minus the speed, soon? I'm doubtful there will be very much more activity, here.

For the speed, I can try and look for some of the best parts of scenes that have been posted and see if they can be calced, which can then be added to the profiles after everything else if accepted.

I'm planning on rewatching the show from the beginning as well, as it seems there are quite a few things I'd forgotten about. For instance, apparently a mutant who the Shadow King pointed a finger at and crumpled into a ball of flesh was not only done from a separate universe due to interacting with his mind, but was also done to a character who possessed intangibility, which...seems like a bit of a big deal for any potential threads in the future.

I think you should just implement them with no issue, yes.

I think I want to watch this after being introduced to the insanity.

It's insane to think that Fox X-Men has shit like...

• Movies set in parallel universes
  • Movies which exist to do cosmic-retcons
  • Bad Future AU Movies that nearly got nominated to the Oscars
  • Self-Parody 4th Wall Breaking R Rated Movies
  • This TV Show
  • Also New Mutants is going to be a horror movie

I'm actually super hyped for New Mutants.

Also dear Legion, please confirm David's dad is Professor X in season 3, thanks. We already know he's apparently a bald guy who wore a suit and had extremely powerful telepathic capabilities. Get Patrick Stewart and make that shit canon.

Even if it was the younger guy it'd be lit as ****<s>.

Also X-Men Apocalypse is kind of a hot mess but it was probably the most comicbooky superhero movie made in a while. Actually hyped for Dark Phoenix.

The Everlasting said:
Time to rename this thread "X-Men Discussion Thread"
David Haller

Attack Potency: Universe level+ (Merged his own show's timeline with the new FOX X-Men timeline via discussion thread)

Number of X-Men Movie Timelines:

• Original Movie Timeline
  • Reboot Timeline
  • Deadpool Timeline
  • Legion Show Timeline
  • Bad Future Logan Timeline
  • Gifted Show (Remember that?) Timeline

Logan and Deadpool aren't alternate timelines tho. They're just both part of the rebooted timeline.

So this show is in continuity with the Fox X-Men series? That's pretty cool.

On a slightly unrelated note, Legion's hair always reminded me of JFK from Clone High if it was in a weird 80s anime.

Changes seem fine btw.

Darkanine said:
So this show is in continuity with the Fox X-Men series? That's pretty cool.
It's weird. It's technically in the FOX continuity/series (hence why it airs on FX), but is a different universe/timeline.

Kinda like the old and new X-Men timelines, minus actually being referenced together in the same place.

Ahh, I see

Honestly when does it stop being "FOX X-Men and just another Marvel show?

Back