• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Ring CRT: Sadako Yamamura Profile Rework

A while ago I got interested in The Ring franchise, and I started rewriting Sadako Yamamura's profile.

Old profile.

New profile.

Changes: Pretty much 99% of the stuff is new, the old profile lacks justifications or scans for almost everything, not to mention it's missing a lot of information and uses feats seen in Sadako vs. Kayako, a crossover movie that is not canon to the original timelines (it contradicts a lot of things from the main timelines, like where the well is located, how Sadako's curse works, Kayako's house is a different house than the original, etc.).

By the way, the profile name should be changed to "Sadako Yamamura (Hideo Nakata Timeline)"

Last edited:
Fun tip: for quotes that are multiple lines long, insert <poem> at the beginning of the quote to ensure all of it is italicized. So, this:

{{Quote|'''Reiko Asakawa:''' So that video is...
'''Ryuji Takayama:''' It's not of this world. It's Sadako's rage. She's put a curse on us.|Ryuji Takayama explaining Sadako's curse.<ref name="one">Ring (1998)</ref>|Ring_1998_Render.png}}
becomes this:
{{Quote|<poem>'''Reiko Asakawa:''' So that video is...
'''Ryuji Takayama:''' It's not of this world. It's Sadako's rage. She's put a curse on us.</poem>|Ryuji Takayama explaining Sadako's curse.<ref name="one">Ring (1998)</ref>|Ring_1998_Render.png}}
...and now everything between those two will be italicized.

Onto the profile:
  • Some abilities seem redundant. Sadako is given Death Manipulation for killing people with her mind, and Biological Manipulation for "causing their hearts to stop"; yeah man, they died. Biological Manipulation in this instance seems unnecessary.
  • Some of the abilities inherited from her mother seem to lack concrete reasoning. It seems uncertain whether she retained all of her mother's gifts, only that she certainly gained some (some level of precognition)- but others (like telepathy) have no reasoning for Sadako in particular, as in, no showings of her having that are given. I'd prefer in situations like this, it is reduced to "possibly Telepathy", as it is unclear whether she has the ability or not, only that her mother did and thus it feasibly could have passed to her.
A full list of changes is generally preferred, even in "extreme makeovers" like this, so I don't have to play scavenger hunt to find them. Still, I think that covers it- abilities she doesn't explicitly show should be "possibly" and abilities contingent on the side-effects of others shouldn't be there (I only saw Biological Manipulation for this bit, while the other definitely had other examples, like Retrocognition).

Stylistically? Hate the scrollbox trend, but what can you do. All else is approved.

Fun tip: for quotes that are multiple lines long, insert <poem> at the beginning of the quote to ensure all of it is italicized. So, this:
I'll fix that, thanks.
Some abilities seem redundant. Sadako is given Death Manipulation for killing people with her mind, and Biological Manipulation for "causing their hearts to stop"; yeah man, they died. Biological Manipulation in this instance seems unnecessary.
Understood, I'll remove that.
Some of the abilities inherited from her mother seem to lack concrete reasoning. It seems uncertain whether she retained all of her mother's gifts, only that she certainly gained some (some level of precognition)- but others (like telepathy) have no reasoning for Sadako in particular, as in, no showings of her having that are given. I'd prefer in situations like this, it is reduced to "possibly Telepathy", as it is unclear whether she has the ability or not, only that her mother did and thus it feasibly could have passed to her.
Most of her previously non-psychic victims (Mai Takano and Yoichi being prime examples) gained various psychic abilities (including telepathy and retrocognition) after their encounter with Sadako (Sadako has the ability to bestow some of her powers on others). That's why she has those abilities as well. It's also stated twice that Sadako is a more powerful psychic than her mother, both statements coming from psychics. Also, to be fair, telepathy is a normal ability among psychics in the verse. This scene also implies that Sadako did inherit her mother's powers.

Last edited:
We don't grant characters the powers they may bestow upon others. I agree it is very likely she has the abilities, but without an explicit confirmation I will remain firm on this.

We don't grant characters the powers they may bestow upon others. I agree it is very likely she has the abilities, but without an explicit confirmation I will remain firm on this.
It's also stated twice that Sadako is a more powerful psychic than her mother, both statements coming from psychics. This scene also implies that Sadako did inherit her mother's powers.
Wouldn't this serve to allow Sadako to scale directly to her mother's abilities?

Wouldn't this serve to allow Sadako to scale directly to her mother's abilities?
It would serve to prove she has her mother's precognition, which I already accepted. Is there nothing more substantial?

It would serve to prove she has her mother's precognition, which I already accepted. Is there nothing more substantial?
The first two statements don't talk about her precognition.

They describe Sadako as a more powerful psychic than her mother (previously also described as a powerful psychic in the second statement). Shizuko's psychic abilities included Clairvoyance, Telepathy, and Precognition. Two of those abilities are things that Sadako has been shown to have. So, I think that should also include telepathy, which is also a common ability that several other psychics like Ryuji and Mai have shown.

Now, if Sadako's psychic powers are superior to her mother's, who is an especially powerful psychic, I don't see how Sadako shouldn't gain all of her mother's and other average psychics' psychic abilities.

Last edited:
Just some minor formatting things.

The references for Statistics Values go at the end of the justifications they’re attached to, not next to the tiers.

Also, you don’t need to put “Scales to” in those references, just listing the value is fine.

Back